Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just updated, too. Finally, I can relax a bit now and just wait on the vehicle to get here when it gets here.

1680869000033.png

Because demand is dropping again. Why else do they modify prices? Economics 101
Agree but there also might be other factors as well - clearing existing inventory, positioning their pricing models appropriately for new model vehicles coming online in the nearish future. (CyberTruck, Model "2", Van).. etc.

This does not bode well for the short term stock price though.

There's not much inventory to clear - there are only 334 new Model Ys in inventory as of this post. For the last few months I've been watching it, inventory has varied from ~100 to ~400 Model Ys at any given time, which is about 2 to 8 hours' worth. :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: erktrek
Definitely SOL for those that took delivery. I am sure there were not too many of them but that is life....sometimes you win...sometimes you lose.
Would argue that they are not really "losing" in this case. They've gained one of the most efficient and technologically impressive vehicles out there right now, They've cut the petrol leash around their neck and are helping push all of us toward a better, more sustainable future.

Reactions: Jesse75
There's not much inventory to clear - there are only 334 new Model Ys in inventory as of this post. For the last few months I've been watching it, inventory has varied from ~100 to ~400 Model Ys at any given time, which is about 2 to 8 hours' worth. :)
Does "inventory" include actual factory production - in transit / waiting at the factory or just what is in stock at the showrooms currently? We all know how the delivery end of things is going... :rolleyes: ;)

So, how does it work for us waiting … do you need to modify the order to latch on the lower price … would that change your position in line? For me, it would be $500 cheaper.
Mine was updated overnight without be doing anything. Actually I was quite confused and worried at first that something had occurred that would push back my delivery even more, given the email was identical to the one I got when I added Tow to my order back in February. I had to download both PDFs and flip back and forth to notice that the only difference was a price change... I came here to learn that there was a larger price change made as the email made no reference at all. No EDD change with the price change (yet).

On chargers. I accidentally stumbled on a 230 volt dryer outlet when I was epoxy coating my garage floor.

I don't believe Tesla still provides the portable setup. If I had that, I would have another charging option besides the Autel. I prefer the higher amperage direct connection, but in a pinch it would do.

These cars seem slow to arrive. After the SC gets them they are like hot potatoes . I got a text yesterday that I only seen just now. Tesla has my car TODAY,as it came in yesterday, so we've gone from a 10th delivery to an 8th delivery to a 7th delivery if we can align the times. Tesla doesn't insist. They were very polite in asking. I asked them for a suggested pickup time.
Main issue with this change is I will need an updated insurance card to reflect the updated DD.

Secondary issue isn't really a serious problem. Garage floor isn't dry, so car will be parked outside for now.

This just updated, too. Finally, I can relax a bit now and just wait on the vehicle to get here when it gets here.

View attachment 925874
As much as I am relieved to get the full tax credit, I still want the car ASAP. However, now that they dropped the prices back to late Jan levels you can get a car in inventory assigned to your account at the same price when we ordered.

On chargers. I accidentally stumbled on a 230 volt dryer outlet when I was epoxy coating my garage floor.

I don't believe Tesla still provides the portable setup. If I had that, I would have another charging option besides the Autel. I prefer the higher amperage direct connection, but in a pinch it would do.

These cars seem slow to arrive. After the SC gets them they are like hot potatoes . I got a text yesterday that I only seen just now. Tesla has my car TODAY,as it came in yesterday, so we've gone from a 10th delivery to an 8th delivery to a 7th delivery if we can align the times. Tesla doesn't insist. They were very polite in asking. I asked them for a suggested pickup time.
Main issue with this change is I will need an updated insurance card to reflect the updated DD.

Secondary issue isn't really a serious problem. Garage floor is't dry, so car will be parked outside for now.
That's cool! Replace the outlet with a beefier one if you can... Hubbell or Bryant. I posted links to these a bit earlier.

As much as I am relieved to get the full tax credit, I still want the car ASAP. However, now that they dropped the prices back to late Jan levels you can get a car in inventory assigned to your account at the same price when we ordered.
For us that would likely be at least a $2000 mistake at this point. Still happy to be stubborn and stick with our existing configuration but agree with your sentiment.

Reactions: starise
Contact your SA.

I believe Tesla honors the price adjustment automatically for people who are still waiting but it's good to text that number to be sure. Honestly have no clue if Tesla even communicates to their SAs regarding price drops and stuff so they may not even be super aware.

As for the people who already accepted delivery, no clue but probably SOL. That being said, don't regret anything or else you'll just always hate the decision of buying a Tesla.
I got an email las night with the discount applied to my reservation.

That's cool! Replace the outlet with a beefier one if you can... Hubbell or Bryant. I posted links to these a bit earlier.
Great suggestion. Thanks.
Main issue is it's located behind a shelf area. It's always something's isn't it? I could still make it work.I want to see if it's hot with my meter.
Prior homeowners attempted washer dryer hookup in garage. Lines burst. It was a disaster.

• Informative
Reactions: LetsGoElectric
Does "inventory" include actual factory production - in transit / waiting at the factory or just what is in stock at the showrooms currently? We all know how the delivery end of things are going... :rolleyes: ;)
Good question. WaitingForTesla has a field for "in transit - yes/no" in their database, but they all seem to indicate "no". Each factory builds over 500 new Model Ys per day which seems to be about the storage capacity of each one. I suspect there may be hundreds or perhaps even thousands of vehicles in transit at any given time, but I doubt it is tens of thousands.

I don't see anything that matches my build in inventory as of this post - the few I've seen were a 10+ hour round trip to pick up. The closest delivery location to me is a service center. I've ever seen inventory there. Dallas is the closest I've seen inventory and even that's a 3-4 hour round trip for me.

The reason I'm not in a hurry is that I'm a bit short of being able to pay for the vehicle in full with cash while still leaving a comfortable reserve, so if I took delivery today I'd have to finance a small fraction of the purchase price only to turn around and pay it off in the coming weeks/months which is a hassle I'd like to avoid.

I briefly saw a blue/white 19" inventory in Peabody, MA this morning and quickly text my SA asking to match it. Unfortunately, it disappeared too quickly. :(

Couldn't find any other way to do it through the website without a new $250 order. Tried changing my order to the same configuration briefly, but no luck.

I briefly saw a blue/white 19" inventory in Peabody, MA this morning and quickly text my SA asking to match it. Unfortunately, it disappeared too quickly. :(

Couldn't find any other way to do it through the website without a new $250 order. Tried changing my order to the same configuration briefly, but no luck.
The website usually has an "Accelerated Delivery" section that pops up when models are nearby.. unfortunately not always in the desired config. You can expedite updating your order this way I believe but I have not done this presonally so ymmv!

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoElectric

Now that prices have gone down, probably the best way to snatch an inventory if you want it, would be to fork another $250 and reserve it.