Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your range is pretty close to mine. Wondering if my 4/23-5/21 may shift soon? I suspect it will actually end up being in mid-May though. You mentioned earlier seeing another MA order from 1/23 just getting VIN now?

I'm not in a huge rush now that the tax credit will stay. Looks like inventories nationwide are increasing a bit, which may lead to another price drop later in Q2.
It is so hard to guess! I thought things were getting better …. Then I checked Reddit and saw people (in Canada) pushed to July :eek:. I’m not in a hurry. My major complaint is that the uncertainty makes hard to plan family and work travel. At the moment both my husband and I are in the registration. Our plan is to try to be here in Boston at least one of us and if need be drop one of our names for pick up and add it back later.

VIN assigned at about 30 minutes ago:
7SAYGDEE0PF755XXX. (Freemont)

Thanks Tesla, my EDD is now the week I am out of town. Leaving April 27th, returning May 6th. Hopefully I can schedule for the Sunday May 7th after I get home.

OD 1/26 | MYLR blue/black/19/tow | NY
EDD1 (2/1): Mar 14-31 | EDD2 (2/14): Apr 10-May 22 | EDD3 (2/22): Apr 08-May 13 | EDD4 (3/7): Mar 15-31| EDD5 (3/16): Mar 19-31 | EDD6 (3/20): Apr 22-May 27 | EDD7 (4/11): Apr 22 - May 6 | VIN 4/15 Fremont-EDD 4/30-5/8
Well that checks a lot of boxes thanks for reporting in!! - Northeast, ODD and EDD close to ours with a similar config... No VIN as of yet down here in NJ but that's super encouraging. I also hope if this bodes well for the New Englanders (@groenqueen)....

It is so hard to guess! I thought things were getting better …. Then I checked Reddit and saw people (in Canada) pushed to July :eek:. I’m not in a hurry. My major complaint is that the uncertainty makes hard to plan family and work travel. At the moment both my husband and I are in the registration. Our plan is to try to be here in Boston at least one of us and if need be drop one of our names for pick up and add it back later.
Mmm.. that's an interesting strategy. Currently my wife and I are both on the registration but she likely has travel coming up.. It might be a pain to get re-added after the fact at least in NJ though.

After getting a text from the 510 number on 4/13 asking me to provide my payment method and today receiving another text from the same number about trade-in, my EDD has finally changed. I'm in no hurry, and they could have taken until August, and I was okay.

MYLR5
White/White interior/19-inch Gemini wheels
OD: 1/30/23
EDD 1: Feb-Mar
Profile Completion: 1/31/23
EDD 2: 3/22-3/31
Change to Red/White/19-inch Gemini wheels: 2/3/23
EDD 3: 3/24-3/31
EDD 4 (2/14): 4/15-5/2
EDD 5 (2/28): 4/16-5/21
EDD 6 (3/7): 4/26-5/31
EDD 7 (4/15): 4/24-5/8
Location Connecticut
Tesla location: Mt. Kisco

Reactions: beewang and erktrek
From following along here it seems actual deliver times are running 4 months. Is that correct?

Tesla web site suggests a MY ordered today would be delivered April to June, so potentially 3 months max. This same time last year cars promised in 3 months were actually delivering in 6 to 7 months, so not much credibility for the lead times provided by Tesla at ordering time.

I am curious to know real lead times before a place an order.
Whatever I read on this forum, I feel that it takes on an average about 6-8 weeks for most deliveries.

VIN assigned at about 30 minutes ago:
7SAYGDEE0PF755XXX. (Freemont)

Thanks Tesla, my EDD is now the week I am out of town. Leaving April 27th, returning May 6th. Hopefully I can schedule for the Sunday May 7th after I get home.

OD 1/26 | MYLR blue/black/19/tow | NY
EDD1 (2/1): Mar 14-31 | EDD2 (2/14): Apr 10-May 22 | EDD3 (2/22): Apr 08-May 13 | EDD4 (3/7): Mar 15-31| EDD5 (3/16): Mar 19-31 | EDD6 (3/20): Apr 22-May 27 | EDD7 (4/11): Apr 22 - May 6 | VIN 4/15 Fremont-EDD 4/30-5/8
I got VIN ending with 3XXX on 9th April. Yours ending with 5XXX. Looks like Fremont is manufacturing 1000 cars in 3 days which equates to a car approx. every 4 minutes. Unbelievable!

Has anyone taken delivery of an Austin build recently? Is there anything I should keep an eye out for? My dad was supposed to come with me, but he had to go out of the country last-minute.
On April 12th, I took delivery of a Model Y that was built in Austin on April 7th. There were no obvious defects at that time. This evening, it got its first detail. That's usually when I notice cosmetic defects on a new vehicle because that's the first time my eyes are on every square inch of it over a couple of hours. I was actually a bit surprised to find absolutely no cosmetic defects whatsoever. The paint is literally perfect and all panel gaps appear symmetrical. Paint quality and panel fitment are among the the best of any of the dozens of new automobiles I've owned over the decades from Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Infiniti, Acura, and Mazda - that's particularly impressive considering Tesla is just a baby compared to automakers that have been designing and building automobiles for decades and sometimes more than a century.

IMG_5390.jpg

Last edited:
When I see things like that, I suspect that's not how the vehicle left the assembly line at the factory.

If you watch drone footage of Tesla factories on YouTube, you'll occasionally see a relatively small number of new vehicles sitting outside with tarps over them. These appear to be vehicles that Tesla built, but did not have the roof glass available at the time of production, so the vehicles were set aside so it could be added later. In this case, it's likely that the adhesive and glass were installed by humans instead of robots resulting in more inconsistency and chance for assembly error.

Vehicles also regularly get damaged in transit from factories to or at delivery locations due to human error or hail. This damage is sometimes repaired and paid for by the shipper and sometimes by Tesla depending on the responsible party. In some states, any repairs performed prior to delivery must be disclosed. In other states, only damage above a certain amount, if any, must be reported.

It's very likely that these types of issues are not acceptable to factory QC and happened beyond their control. It's also possible, but less likely, that they were told, "Ship it as-is and we'll fix it only if the customer notices and complains."

When I see things like that, I suspect that's not how the vehicle left the assembly line at the factory.

If you watch drone footage of Tesla factories on YouTube, you'll occasionally see a relatively small number of new vehicles sitting outside with tarps over them. These appear to be vehicles that Tesla built, but did not have the roof glass available at the time of production, so the vehicles were set aside so it could be added later. In this case, it's likely that the adhesive and glass were installed by humans instead of robots resulting in more inconsistency and chance for assembly error.

Vehicles also regularly get damaged in transit from factories to or at delivery locations due to human error or hail. This damage is sometimes repaired and paid for by the shipper and sometimes by Tesla depending on the responsible party. In some states, any repairs performed prior to delivery must be disclosed. In other states, only damage above a certain amount, if any, must be reported.

It's very likely that these types of issues are not acceptable to factory QC and happened beyond their control. It's also possible, but less likely, that they were told, "Ship it as-is and we'll fix it only if the customer notices and complains."
That's a great point!

Reactions: kelkel