Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just be careful with Tesla Trade-in. Some users are complaining in other forums that they are actually getting a lot less than quoted price. I decided to go with CarMax or Carvana after the pickup.
Tesla offered $28K for my trade. Carvana offered $32K. A local dealer bought it for $33K and has it listed for $40K. I paid $41K for it two years ago.

So I lost $3k in car value in 6 days.
Since automobiles are inherently depreciating assets, I buy them for their utility and pleasure - not as investments. I'm just as happy with my Model Y today as I was the day before the priced dropped $3K below what I paid last week. :)

Did he say that there will be further price cuts? I don't remember this.

No, he's obviously not going to say that cause then no customer will buy a M3/MY right now lol.

Someone quoted my reply on the same page and it explains further. Tesla said that they are focusing on increasing production, expanding/opening new factories, selling their inventory, etc and don't mind low to no margins now or in the near future so you can deduce that they could potentially do some more price cuts.

Tesla offered $28K for my trade. Carvana offered $32K. A local dealer bought it for $33K and has it listed for $40K. I paid $41K for it two years ago.

Since automobiles are inherently depreciating assets, I buy them for their utility and pleasure - not as investments. I'm just as happy with my Model Y today as I was the day before the priced dropped $3K below what I paid last week. :)
And ICE cars typically depreciate 20% the first year and 15% every year thereafter. Note: In terms of Tesla the outlook is fairly encouraging with the Model S retaining the highest value. For Model Y it's still too early according to this article from last year.

No, he's obviously not going to say that cause then no customer will buy a M3/MY right now lol.

Someone quoted my reply on the same page and it explains further. Tesla said that they are focusing on increasing production, expanding/opening new factories, selling their inventory, etc and don't mind low to no margins now or in the near future so you can deduce that they could potentially do some more price cuts.
The trick with this is the factory processes are getting streamlined and producing at scale so things become cheaper and cheaper regardless if the vehicle cost stays low - margins should trend back up as they implement what was outlined on Investor Day.. The factory IS the product not the cars themselves which is kind of a hard concept to wrap my head around.

Reactions: rr_92 and zroger73
And ICE cars typically depreciate 20% the first year and 15% every year thereafter. Note: In terms of Tesla the outlook is fairly encouraging with the Model S retaining the highest value. For Model Y it's still too early according to this article from last year.
Yes, the worst depreciation for an ICE car. I bought my Q7 for $73K 3 years ago. 19K mileage now. Tesla quoted $43K. KBB value was $6K more, I am yet to try CarMax, Carvana, AlgoNation, AutoNation and others.

Reactions: erktrek
Yes, the worst depreciation for an ICE car. I bought my Q7 for $73K 3 years ago. 19K mileage now. Tesla quoted $43K. KBB value was $6K more, I am yet to try CarMax, Carvana, AlgoNation, AutoNation and others.
The real crazy thing is if EV adoption continues to take off then ICE cars are going to depreciate even faster.

The issue I see is if EVs retain their value longer due to various factors like reliability etc. people in lower income brackets will start to get squeezed at least for the first few years or so. ICE vehicles will likely be the only really affordable option BUT the actual total cost of ownership will be super expensive - greater fuel costs / less gas stations, higher priced / increasingly rare replacement parts, harder to find repair shops, and probably increased insurance rates etc.

Hopefully a RoboTaxi solution can mitigate this but I'm guessing even more pain for those folks until it does.

Reactions: imgcs
Received $3K quote (excluding charger) for a Tesla charger installation. Agree, they need to pull wires from the basement. But, still the price looks to be extremely high. Is it normal? How much did you guys pay for the installation?

Received $3K quote (excluding charger) for a Tesla charger installation. Agree, they need to pull wires from the basement. But, still the price looks to be extremely high. Is it normal? How much did you guys pay for the installation?
I paid $800 for them to run wires from basement to the garage and then install a Nema 14-50 plug with a Juicebox. I needed about 50 feet of wire.

Who did you call? Someone recommended from Tesla?

I know four years ago I had an outlet installed and I have a detached garage and the electrician charged me about $900.

I'm wondering if these electricians are taking advantage as they know you get up to $1500 for install in NJ.

I'd call around.

Seems pretty high to me, not sure how that compares to other electricians in NJ though. Definitely worth shopping around for more quotes IMO. I paid $400 to have a NEMA14-50 installed in my garage in Texas. My situation was a very simple job though since my main breaker box for my house is attached to the side of my garage and I had plenty of space for the new breaker. Also, they used less than 10ft of copper wire so material cost was very small.

Who did you call? Someone recommended from Tesla?

I know four years ago I had an outlet installed and I have a detached garage and the electrician charged me about $900.

I'm wondering if these electricians are taking advantage as they know you get up to $1500 for install in NJ.

I'd call around.
**** Electric recommended by Tesla. Yup, I need to call around, $3K is too much.

Last edited:
Seems pretty high to me, not sure how that compares to other electricians in NJ though. Definitely worth shopping around for more quotes IMO. I paid $400 to have a NEMA14-50 installed in my garage in Texas. My situation was a very simple job though since my main breaker for my house is attached to the side of my garage and I had plenty of space for the new breaker. Also, they used less than 10ft of copper wire so material cost was very small.
So that was about what we paid - however we ran 2 lines with 50 & 60 amp breakers. The 60 line was to our detached garage and the Tesla Charger and required an overhead line. The 50 was to a NEMA 14-50 in an enclosure on the side of our house. Note: make sure you use a commercial outlet like a Hubbell or Bryant for the 14-50 if going that route!!!

Getting closer.

MYLR R/B 19", northeast PA
OD 1/22
EDD 1 Jan-Mar
EDD 2 Feb-Mar
EDD 3 Mar 1-31
EDD 4 Mar 27-31
EDD 5 March 26-31
EDD 6 April 4 - May 9
EDD 7 Mar 17-31
EDD 8 Apr 14 - May 19
EDD 9 Apr 16 - May 14
VIN 4/4, Austin build.
EDD10 Apr 16 - Apr 22
Pick up day #1 April 21 (car now arriving after hours)
Pick up day #2 April 22

Crazy that I need 4 pages of checklists to pick up a car.

Reactions: imgcs and erktrek
Do you guys think that with all these price cuts and rumors of Tesla lowering their prices even more it would be harder to resale your vehicle in the upcoming years?
Probably not? It remains to be seen BUT suspect that Teslas will retain their value over time due to their reliability and efficiency. Even with any crazy new battery density improvements older Teslas should still be good to go for local and medium range daily drives. Also thanks to the charging network would still work but unsurprisingly take more time for longer trips.

Same, around 50 ft from the basement. It's possible that they quoted more because of a Tesla wall charger instead of a Nema 14-50. Still, $3K is outrageous.
It really depends on where you are, some of the wealthier NJ towns/suburbs get charged a premium for services unfortunately. Our 2 runs were 40-50 ft and 75-100 Ft plus hanging the line which electricians don't like to do nowadays.

$450 for installation of nema 14-50 including material and labor and $100 for permit in Vegas. However, my outlet will be just behind the house panel, so not much of a run at all.

Reactions: imgcs and erktrek