Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@beewang When you got and installed the Kavanic wheel covers did you have to put foam taped inside the covers?

Mine came with 4 pieces of foam tape for each cover but no real instructions I can see.

Never mind. There is a video on the order page and one of the first questions asked is about how to install.
I'm really not sure why the foam strips are there.
Remember that I put the wheels on in middle of night not realizing they were on backwards on two wheels... Two days later what I have time fixing it.. I placed a foam strips on just for the hell of it. Yeah I'm not sure if it does anything.

I basically drove around without the foam strips for 2 days and didnt notice any adverse effect.

beewang

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
On a separate note... Utilized my factory hitch for the first time. Bought a new fridge..
They wanted $200 for delivery... Being the tightwad.. I decided to rent a truck.... But then I realize renting a trailer from U-haul is lower to unload and on $15.99

Rented a appliance dolly for 10 bucks and a trailer. Got the job done in one hour and less than 30 bucks. Love it!!

beewang

AAA. I don't think they'd bring me a tire on the side of the road.
I agree with you , with an all EV fleet at home, we upgraded AAA to platinum level. Reason: if I ever F up and run out of juice, they will tow me 100 miles to the charging station, this will never happen in WA, OR or CA but things are different in Idaho, and Montana.😁

Same as if you have a flat...AaA will towl you to the tire shop on a flatbed. HOWEVER...i.did purchase the jack pucks because not everyone or tireshops knows to carry jacking pucks when you purchase your new tires.

Just my 2 cents,

beewang

I have an extra screen protector. I installed one on my M3 and had some dust issues. They sent me a new one but I figured I could live with what it was like after the new one came. :)
Can someone please explain to the purpose of screen protector!!?? I don't get it!! It's not a phone or tablet (albeit it looks like a large tablet). My point is... It's not like I'd drop.it EVER (like a phone or tablet) I don't have diamond on finger tip to scratch up the screen. Never had one on any of my touch screen vehicles. It doesn't prevent finger prints so.. help me out here.. what am I missing?

I can't think of a reason other than because you can..

😂

beewang

Can someone please explain to the purpose of screen protector!!?? I don't get it!! It's not a phone or tablet (albeit it looks like a large tablet). My point is... It's not like I'd drop.it EVER (like a phone or tablet) I don't have diamond on finger tip to scratch up the screen. Never had one on any of my touch screen vehicles. It doesn't prevent finger prints so.. help me out here.. what am I missing?

😂

beewang
They also retain heat in the screen. Not a plus…. None of that junk on any of mine. Even the SC recommends not using them - due to trapping in the heat.

😂

beewang
I put one on for a few reasons. We have a small dog who sometimes comes in the car so would prefer he doesn’t scratch it. We have a kid who wants to play the games on the screen with a wireless controller, he can easily hit the screen with as he is not always careful. Less glare. Finally it is a small cost to have some extra protection. I doubt it would break but could get scratched. Installed the Spigen with the install contraption and it was very easy.

I ended up getting a spare tire from ModernSpare it was pricey and wont fit in the sub-trunk BUT only plan on taking it on longer trips when a flat might be a wee bit more than just inconvenient. AAA seems like a good thing too if you take a lot of road trips.

So I am a bean counter and I am all for statistics and numbers. Having a spare time is DUMB (except for a jeep on a Rubicon trail run). To be clear, I am not saying you're dumb, rather... It's the concept of hauling a 30 lbs wight (yes! Even on your "road trips". It's right up ther with ppl insisting on changing their own tires (what the Hell for? Call AAA and dont break a sweat nor get your hands dirty).

Why chuck along the weight and taking up the space on a road trip where the probability of getting a flat on a good conditioned.tires is remote?!

Now I can agree with you if you are somewhere that is 100 miles away from civilization and tire shop. But tell me when was the last time you were at a place like that in a can in US???!!!

Go ahead... Since you're just waiting for your car, I thought I'd keep you busy with debates,😁😜

Cheers

beewang

I put one on for a few reasons. We have a small dog who sometimes comes in the car so would prefer he doesn’t scratch it. We have a kid who wants to play the games on the screen with a wireless controller, he can easily hit the screen with as he is not always careful. Less glare. Finally it is a small cost to have some extra protection. I doubt it would break but could get scratched. Installed the Spigen with the install contraption and it was very easy.
LoL
C'mon dude!! Unless your "dogs" actually have "diamonds" on them (which o suppose it can happen with you @Diamond_Dogs23 😜 based on your nickname)

Source: What Materials Scratch Glass?

"To scratch glass, you’ll need something harder than copper, made of steel or titanium, and a little bit of a sharp edge. If there’s a smooth but hard surface against the flat surface of glass, then it’s unlikely to scratch it.

Anything sharp and of sufficient hardness will scratch glass. This makes it difficult to protect against because almost anything in a vandal’s home can get used for tagging or scratching.

• Metal files and fingernail files
  • Hardened steel keys
  • Screws
  • Razors
  • Screwdrivers
  • Diamond tipped drill bits
  • Carbide drill tips
  • Diamonds
  • Rubies
  • Whetstones
  • Ceramics"
beewang

Reactions: Skunis
You can track submission to approval by establishing an account

Thanks for that - I see mine as "pending"

Reactions: Skunis
On a separate note... Utilized my factory hitch for the first time. Bought a new fridge..
They wanted $200 for delivery... Being the tightwad.. I decided to rent a truck.... But then I realize renting a trailer from U-haul is lower to unload and on $15.99

Rented a appliance dolly for 10 bucks and a trailer. Got the job done in one hour and less than 30 bucks. Love it!!

beewang
Trailer hitch FTW

I agree with you , with an all EV fleet at home, we upgraded AAA to platinum level. Reason: if I ever F up and run out of juice, they will tow me 100 miles to the charging station, this will never happen in WA, OR or CA but things are different in Idaho, and Montana.😁

Same as if you have a flat...AaA will towl you to the tire shop on a flatbed. HOWEVER...i.did purchase the jack pucks because not everyone or tireshops knows to carry jacking pucks when you purchase your new tires.

Just my 2 cents,

beewang
That makes sense (the tire shop not having the jack pucks). Time to add something else to the Amazon cart.

So I am a bean counter and I am all for statistics and numbers. Having a spare time is DUMB (except for a jeep on a Rubicon trail run). To be clear, I am not saying you're dumb, rather... It's the concept of hauling a 30 lbs wight (yes! Even on your "road trips". It's right up ther with ppl insisting on changing their own tires (what the Hell for? Call AAA and dont break a sweat nor get your hands dirty).

Why chuck along the weight and taking up the space on a road trip where the probability of getting a flat on a good conditioned.tires is remote?!

Now I can agree with you if you are somewhere that is 100 miles away from civilization and tire shop. But tell me when was the last time you were at a place like that in a can in US???!!!

Go ahead... Since you're just waiting for your car, I thought I'd keep you busy with debates,😁😜

Cheers

beewang
Had the same convo with my wife last night (about the spare tire). In the end, decided that roadside assistance (AAA and others) would be enough in an emergency. Thinking about it, yeah, it's been a while since I had a flat.

LoL
C'mon dude!! Unless your "dogs" actually have "diamonds" on them (which o suppose it can happen with you @Diamond_Dogs23 😜 based on your nickname)

Source: What Materials Scratch Glass?

"To scratch glass, you’ll need something harder than copper, made of steel or titanium, and a little bit of a sharp edge. If there’s a smooth but hard surface against the flat surface of glass, then it’s unlikely to scratch it.

Anything sharp and of sufficient hardness will scratch glass. This makes it difficult to protect against because almost anything in a vandal’s home can get used for tagging or scratching.

• Metal files and fingernail files
  • Hardened steel keys
  • Screws
  • Razors
  • Screwdrivers
  • Diamond tipped drill bits
  • Carbide drill tips
  • Diamonds
  • Rubies
  • Whetstones
  • Ceramics"
beewang
I'm doing it because the place doing the PPF is throwing it in for free, I'd like the screen to have a matte finish, and because it'll help keep fingerprints off the screen.

However, you're probably right. I think of my iPhone screen (without a screen protector) bouncing around in my pocket (with a small SOG pocket knife) and I've never had a screen scratch from that.

I'm really not sure why the foam strips are there.
Remember that I put the wheels on in middle of night not realizing they were on backwards on two wheels... Two days later what I have time fixing it.. I placed a foam strips on just for the hell of it. Yeah I'm not sure if it does anything.

I basically drove around without the foam strips for 2 days and didnt notice any adverse effect.

beewang
I suspect it may be to protect the outer edge of the factory wheels from damage due to chafing over time since these aftermarket covers go over the edge - the factory wheel covers don't.

It might be for noise control also or instead - in 2002, GM issued a TSB 01-03-10-005A to address squeaky wheel covers on Cavaliers and Sunfires by applying insulators to the backsides.

It's right up ther with ppl insisting on changing their own tires (what the Hell for? Call AAA and dont break a sweat nor get your hands dirty).
I don't agree with you on this one. I see the complete opposite perspective! why would I choose to wait potentially over an hour+ on AAA for something I could to myself in 10 minutes, just to avoid bit of work, and dirty hands?

But yep, (in Tesla's case) not worth in my opinion lugging around and extra 30+ pounds, especially if there isnt going to be a place to store it!

Last edited:
Had the same convo with my wife last night (about the spare tire). In the end, decided that roadside assistance (AAA and others) would be enough in an emergency. Thinking about it, yeah, it's been a while since I had a flat.
I had my Kona EV on lease for 22 months before getting the Y. 16 months into the lease, I picked up a nail that created a very slow leak in the left rear (about 1#/day). A month later, I picked up a short 1/4" bolt in the same tire, but no leak. My local station plugged both and told me he has plugs of a better grade than you get in stores so not to worry. I didn't and didn't have to.

Like bikes, the front tire flips the object and it lodges in the back wheel.

I do have a compressor, breaker bar, and plugs in back, just in case. But I haven't had a real flat in close to 25 years. Most stuff you pick up doesn't cause a fast leak.