Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry that there are so many little issues with the car but hopefully it drives like a dream.

I remember when I got my M3SR+ delivered 4 years ago. I knew nothing about inspecting the car or anything like that. I have some small issues that I just dealt with but nothing major. Surprisingly I have looked at the car more recently and the build quality from 2019 for my car was pretty decent. Back then the Fremont factory had a lot more issues. Has matured over the last four years.
I had exact same experience. Got M3SR+ 4 years ago, and didn't know about needing to inspect car for such issues. And, luckily, no major issues with the car during the last 4 years. Just a couple of months before the 4-year mark, got a notification in Tesla app that the low-voltage battery needs to be replaced, and was able to get it done under warranty :) .

Some of the Best Buy have it in stock and can be ready for pick in an hour!
I checked and mine does not. So, I guess I will just wait for Tesla to ship it.

I held off just in case the electricians came out and told me it could not be installed. Did not want to deal with a return.

We have a Nema 14-50 and can share the mobile charger between the two cars for a few weeks if need be.

I had exact same experience. Got M3SR+ 4 years ago, and didn't know about needing to inspect car for such issues. And, luckily, no major issues with the car during the last 4 years. Just a couple of months before the 4-year mark, got a notification in Tesla app that the low-voltage battery needs to be replaced, and was able to get it done under warranty :) .
Nice! I have not driven that much so have not gotten that notification so I guess I will be on my own to pay for it. LOL!

• Funny
Reactions: erktrek
Funny story...

Picked up MYP on 3/15. Everything went great besides some under spray of paint and some minor things that I just ignored.

After a week at low speed car kept making noises coming from brakes from rear- the noise was like if my brakes are done and the calipers are scraping against rotors.

After I inspected the car everything seems fine to to my eyes.

But went ahead and made an appointment as I was scared and concerned.

Turns out the tesla factory forgot to remove Michelin's tires Stickers inside the wall of tires. lol 🤣 :rolleyes:o_O-- this caused the tires to make noise as it rolled.

Tesla said this is very RARE (but as happened before). lol its funny and I could have never guessed it.

SO GUYS KEEP you EARS open lol

See below for pics

1683217499095.png

Didn't bother them for these. adviser said they will need to paint and I was scared of not matching.
To me it was minor and I wouldn't even notice if I was not on this tesla forums

1683217578373.png

1683217612406.png

However, she is a beauty and that instant torque is like drugs.

1683217761761.png

Last edited:
Added a few things to my service ticket and it bumped the appointment out 1.5 weeks until the 22nd. I'd put a service ticket on day 1 for the trunk, but added the other things to the app's service menu later which forced me reschedule. Wish I had time to go over it more thoroughly and do this on day 2. :(

The hatch does make a bit of noise in addition to hanging past the bumper on one side. The latch is also crooked I noticed yesterday. Having a bit of regret that I didn't just wait a few hours for them to fix this at delivery before I accepted. Hoping they can fix this.

View attachment 934468 View attachment 934469View attachment 934464

Still not completely happy with the window alignment. Not sure if it moved or if I just wasn't looking that closely after they adjusted it. I don't care so much about the aesthetics, just worried if it might move out of place again or may get wind noise from the front or rear of it. Have not taken it on a freeway yet.

View attachment 934465 View attachment 934466

Original before I accepted delivery was much worse and contacting B-pillar glass:
View attachment 934467

Headlight adjustment for the low beam cutoff was ridiculously high and most oncoming cars were flashing me. I pulled over and attempted to lower them from the service menu to complete the drive but will have Tesla calibrate them properly.
View attachment 934472

It's giving me an estimate for trunk alignment, but I expect they will waive that as a delivery issue.

View attachment 934463
It's a shame that on a brand new 50k car that you have to deal with this crap. I also notice from your pics, driver's side rear hatch gap too large, and there appears to be a paint drip on the outer lip. I'm done with any future Tesla's until they improve the quality.

It's a shame that on a brand new 50k car that you have to deal with this crap. I also notice from your pics, driver's side rear hatch gap too large, and there appears to be a paint drip on the outer lip. I'm done with any future Tesla's until they improve the quality.
Did you know that $50K is not much over the average price of any new car these days ($48K+)?

In defense of Tesla, they've only been mass producing automobiles for 10 years, the Model Y for less than 3 years, and Model Ys in Austin for less than 2 years. Other automakers have been around for decades and some over a century.

When you consider that Tesla went from just a curiosity to the best-selling EVs in the world in 10 years, it's quite astonishing they've managed to achieve the level of quality they have while growing exponentially.

Sure, you can find better fit and finish on a $15K Nissan Versa, but I'll cut Tesla a little slack - what they've already accomplished is monumental and asking for all that plus Lexus-like levels of build quality is unreasonable at this time.

Did you know that $50K is not much over the average price of any new car these days ($48K+)?

In defense of Tesla, they've only been mass producing automobiles for 10 years, the Model Y for less than 3 years, and Model Ys in Austin for less than 2 years. Other automakers have been around for decades and some over a century.

When you consider that Tesla went from just a curiosity to the best-selling EVs in the world in 10 years, it's quite astonishing they've managed to achieve the level of quality they have while growing exponentially.

Sure, you can find better fit and finish on a $15K Nissan Versa, but I'll cut Tesla a little slack - what they've already accomplished is monumental and asking for all that plus Lexus-like levels of build quality is unreasonable at this time.
I do agree with this for the most part.

Eventually, they have to figure out the fit and finish part. I am not sure what that proper timing is for them to start maturing as a car manufacturer but they will need to do it over the next 5 years.

510 number just reached out that they need my proof of insurance.

I basically told them I will provide on the day of delivery because I cannot and will not insure a car I do not own and my insurance will not provide such proof until that day which is Saturday.

That morning I can upload the proof of insurance that will show on my insurance app.

I basically told them I will provide on the day of delivery because I cannot and will not insure a car I do not own and my insurance will not provide such proof until that day which is Saturday.

That morning I can upload the proof of insurance that will show on my insurance app.
What I did is to start the policy on the delivery date.

Reactions: Skunis

Called Esurance and they wrote me a proof of insurance letter starting on Saturday.

Called Esurance and they wrote me a proof of insurance letter starting on Saturday.
Dont you have a car now that has insurance coverage? All I did was to upload my current insurance policy. I think my state requires my existing insurance company to cover any new vehicles I purchased and I have 30 days to report to the InsureCo.

beewang

I do agree with this for the most part.

Eventually, they have to figure out the fit and finish part. I am not sure what that proper timing is for them to start maturing as a car manufacturer but they will need to do it over the next 5 years.

If there are any defects on our vehicle I have not been able to find them. No rattles or other weirdness, no highway noise etc. Everything looks lined up in the back and on both sides, trim seems fine. We'll see when I go to put on the roof rack - apparently the fittings can be messed up:

Something to look out for anyway if doing it yourself.

Reactions: Skunis and zroger73
If there are any defects on our vehicle I have not been able to find them. No rattles or other weirdness, no highway noise etc. Everything looks lined up in the back and on both sides, trim seems fine. We'll see when I go to put on the roof rack - apparently the fittings can be messed up:

Something to look out for anyway if doing it yourself.

I watched a video yesterday where the presenter stated that some owners have cracked their roof glass while installing the roof bars and suggests paying Tesla to do it. He claimed it only cost $60-something and was well worth letting Tesla be responsible for any damage. Just a thought.

EDIT: @erktrek, here's the video I saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skunis and erktrek