Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... They offered painting the door (I would be without car for 2 weeks) or a complimentary annual service. I probably will pass on painting. I’m afraid of color mismatch, etc. They claim the annual service (tire rotation, checking brakes, etc) has a value of $600 :oops:
LOL!! If it has the value of $600, then I'd be glad to do it for 1/2 of that amount and steal all their business :p

• Funny
Reactions: rjackey and erktrek
So we might have a bit of an issue - Today my wife got in the car and the screen went off. She stepped on the brake and it came back on. I rebooted but something odd is going on. I think the driver seat occupancy sensor is not working - it doesn't seem to recognize when we are sitting in the seat. I usually put my foot on the brake before closing the door so haven't really noticed until I did it on purpose.

Made a service appointment for them to check it out.

Reactions: Skunis
So we might have a bit of an issue - Today my wife got in the car and the screen went off. She stepped on the brake and it came back on. I rebooted but something odd is going on. I think the driver seat occupancy sensor is not working - it doesn't seem to recognize when we are sitting in the seat. I usually put my foot on the brake before closing the door so haven't really noticed until I did it on purpose.

Made a service appointment for them to check it out.
Sorry quick followup after reading posts on this site and others.

By getting in the car and removing the seatbelt the car would stop either going forward or backward with a message about "roll away prevention" which I understand must meet 2 of 3 criteria as stated in the Troubleshooting Alerts section in the fine manual (see "DI_a166"). This means either my door was open (no), seatbelt unbuckled (yes), Driver not detected (???)...

Interestingly after testing the behavior a bit I plugged in the vehicle and went inside to do some additional research. Came back out to check if the touchscreen showed the drivers seat as occupied or not - unplugged the charger and got in to check and everything started working... 🤔

Was then able to reverse out of the garage without my seatbelt and drive back in with no rollaway message / automatically stopping. 🤷‍♂️

Will keep an eye on this tomorrow..

By getting in the car and removing the seatbelt the car would stop either going forward or backward with a message about "roll away prevention" which I understand must meet 2 of 3 criteria as stated in the Troubleshooting Alerts section in the fine manual (see "DI_a166"). This means either my door was open (no), seatbelt unbuckled (yes), Driver not detected (???)...
Sounds like you're onto something with the occupancy sensor on the driver's seat. I'd check underneath to see if any loose wire harness connections, could be a quick fix.

I finished installing the PPF from Drive Protected over the weekend. It was a lot of work but came out quite good! Only had a couple minor mistakes, and goofed once in cutting the individual pieces off of the roll and cut into one of the A-pillar pieces. (oops!) Most pieces I found easy to moderate to install after watching the training videos, but the front and rear bumpers were difficult as they required quite a lot of stretch and I had a really hard time tacking them down while stretching. A few spots I didn't quite get lined up to the edge cause they had tacked too much when I went back to try and make adjustments, so I decided not to mess with them. I post-heated all the seams/edges and went over with a glove 24 hrs after finishing.

Took a total of 30-35 hours for the full car, including about 4-5 hours to complete the initial wash and prep (which is what motivated me to just try and finish it all in one go). Happy with the results and accomplishment!

Attachments

• PXL_20230527_191213928.jpg
    PXL_20230527_191213928.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20230528_170208844.jpg
    PXL_20230528_170208844.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20230530_205206461.jpg
    PXL_20230530_205206461.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230527_191025751.jpg
    PXL_20230527_191025751.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 65
So, when do I get nervous about not getting our license plates? Our temp tag in NJ expires on Sunday. I will be away from home but my wife will be home.

I reached out to the 510 number several times over the last few days. They assure me that I will have them. I need them by Friday and they assured me of that as well. Not sure if UPS or whoever they use will deliver over the weekend (I think the should) but my wife will not know how to use the front plate connector I got.

Only issue is that 510 number will probably say anything to get me to stop reaching out to them. :)

The SC told me (from what I remember) that the plates come to the SC and then they mail them out to me. The 510 number said they would be sent directly to me. I do not believe the 510 number as all dealers in NJ get the plates and then you either go in and pick them up or they send them to you.

I am probably going to call the SC this morning and check what is going on.

Update: Spoke to Tesla, not the SC but customer support, and he could see my information. Says dealer has the plates and tracking is in progress. They ship next day and hopefully will have them by Friday or Saturday. Asked and he said he would send a note to the SC to rush them out tonight.

Last edited:
Sorry quick followup after reading posts on this site and others.

Interestingly after testing the behavior a bit I plugged in the vehicle and went inside to do some additional research. Came back out to check if the touchscreen showed the drivers seat as occupied or not - unplugged the charger and got in to check and everything started working... 🤔

Was then able to reverse out of the garage without my seatbelt and drive back in with no rollaway message / automatically stopping. 🤷‍♂️

Will keep an eye on this tomorrow..
That is so strange...maybe it is not strange with a Tesla. :)

I would keep your appointment and keep an eye on things as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek
So, when do I get nervous about not getting our license plates? Our temp tag in NJ expires on Sunday. I will be away from home but my wife will be home.

I reached out to the 510 number several times over the last few days. They assure me that I will have them. I need them by Friday and they assured me of that as well. Not sure if UPS or whoever they use will deliver over the weekend (I think the should) but my wife will not know how to use the front plate connector I got.

Only issue is that 510 number will probably say anything to get me to stop reaching out to them. :)

The SC told me (from what I remember) that the plates come to the SC and then they mail them out to me. The 510 number said they would be sent directly to me. I do not believe the 510 number as all dealers in NJ get the plates and then you either go in and pick them up or they send them to you.

I am probably going to call the SC this morning and check what is going on.
Here in Texas, we have a 5-day grace period, but even then you're very unlikely to get pulled over for an expired tag unless you were doing something worse - especially on a new vehicle. A quick Google search for a grace period in your state has conflicting information, so it might be worth checking into - this might be a non-issue for you.

On a mostly unrelated note, I still haven't received the title for my Model Y after 7 weeks of ownership. I did some investigating yesterday and found that it had been mailed to a Kia dealer an hour away from me. I did sell a vehicle to a Kia dealer after I purchased my Model Y, but neither I nor the Kia dealer have any idea why the title for the Tesla was mailed to that dealer, who had no involvement whatsoever in the Tesla purchase. :)

Here in Texas, we have a 5-day grace period, but even then you're very unlikely to get pulled over for an expired tag unless you were doing something worse - especially on a new vehicle. A quick Google search for a grace period in your state has conflicting information, so it might be worth checking into - this might be a non-issue for you.

On a mostly unrelated note, I still haven't received the title for my Model Y after 7 weeks of ownership. I did some investigating yesterday and found that it had been mailed to a Kia dealer an hour away from me. I did sell a vehicle to a Kia dealer after I purchased my Model Y, but neither I nor the Kia dealer have any idea why the title for the Tesla was mailed to that dealer, who had no involvement whatsoever in the Tesla purchase. :)
Thanks. There is no grace period in NJ. If you temp tag is expired you can get pulled over and given a ticket.

I hope that the guy I spoke to at Tesla had the right info. He gave me some specific info so hopefully it was true.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
Update: Spoke to Tesla, not the SC but customer support, and he could see my information. Says dealer has the plates and tracking is in progress. They ship next day and hopefully will have them by Friday or Saturday. Asked and he said he would send a note to the SC to rush them out tonight.
You will have them in time. Don't sweat the front plate, lots of folks go without them in the PDRNJ. The title will follow in a separate mail within a week or so.

Worse comes to worse, they can issue you a second 30 day tag, but that should not be necessary.

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
Thanks. There is no grace period in NJ. If you temp tag is expired you can get pulled over and given a ticket.

I hope that the guy I spoke to at Tesla had the right info. He gave me some specific info so hopefully it was true.
I had a similar issue. But, I received my license 1 day before the expiration date. I have a UPS account, but there is no UPS tracking or email. I sent an email to [email protected] and I received a reply the next day. I already submitted a vanity plate as well.

I had a similar issue. But, I received my license 1 day before the expiration date. I have a UPS account, but there is no UPS tracking or email. I sent an email to [email protected] and I received a reply the next day. I already submitted a vanity plate as well.
I got a text from the 510 number providing me with the tracking number. Next day shipping so hopefully should come tomorrow.

I was just at the Tesla Service center.. for the first time in 4 years (60Kmiles) since purchased the 2019 Model 3.

I was surprised at the amount of "newbies" at the service dept. The reality is these teslas are pretty simple units and with very few moving parts that would requisite a "service". ( I am here due to the front control arm squeak, which is an wear out item that will occur 3~5 years
) chatted with the service ppl, and they agreed with me... . lots of newbs shows up for "just stupid lil things.." 🙃

So there @Skunis @imgcs and @erktrek You go fellas!! ;)😘😘;)

cheers!

beewang