Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY - Carbon Fiber Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone does end up creating a process to take payment for these and send them to others, I hope we do include the Op since he went through the trouble of testing, measuring, and producing the template.

Not to mention writing, editing and laying out the easy-to-follow instructions!
Absolutely agree that the creator should get first refusal of any monetization.

[edit: please note that the template itself says use privately; clearly states not to be resold]

(I am a musician as well as a techie and people who ask me "how do I copy that CD so I don't have to buy one" get my soapbox speech about IP, artist royalties, etc. instead of a How-To)
Nor would I facilitate my DIL to sell any of the trademarked images mentioned either. But I gotta say the one she has of the Serenity flying thru a big Stargate is really cool!

Maybe OP's language about such WTS activities is what's in moderation status as was mentioned. As the forum itself will have to be fair overall to all sponsor-vendors.

Last edited:
Hello brandfisch, great looking blacked-out door handles. I tried to print off the downloaded template last night from your Dropbox for at least reference, and the black image appears to be much smaller than actually needed. Do I need to change the scale / orientation / paper size in Adobe before I print so that the black template images are the same size along the dotted line as my door handles? I have a 2013 and the file says 2014, but I'm sure the handle size did not change or get smaller between 2013 and 2014. Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Thank you. Yeah - I looked at those and that was exactly why I chose this path... wanted a full, seamless look.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm - I posted a long reply to all of the questions above but it looks like it was blocked/removed - not sure where it went.

HERE IS A LINK to download my template.

Hello brandfisch, great looking blacked-out door handles. I tried to print off the downloaded template last night from your Dropbox for at least reference, and the black image appears to be much smaller than actually needed. Do I need to change the scale / orientation / paper size in Adobe before I print so that the black template images are the same size along the dotted line as my door handles? I have a 2013 and the file says 2014, but I'm sure the handle size did not change or get smaller between 2013 and 2014. Thank you in advance for your guidance.

All: sorry for not responding sooner - I didn't realize the conversation was still going. Thanks for all of the feedback.

If you're interested in purchasing, I would be willing to buy some more of the 3M carbon fiber film, cut and send to you. $100/set should cover my time and costs. Send me a private message if you're interested... I'd prefer to do them all in a batch and send them out in mid-November.

Don't forget - you can always do it yourself too for < $400 (cost of cutting machine, cutting supplies, and film)... I would be happy to walk you through it... and, in the end, you would own the equipment. There are other uses for the machine... for example, you can cut your own holiday cards... something like this would otherwise cost you $3-4/card in the store:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1239802

And if your wife or kids are into arts/crafts, they would really dig the machine...

I tried to print off the downloaded template last night from your Dropbox for at least reference, and the black image appears to be much smaller than actually needed. Do I need to change the scale / orientation / paper size in Adobe before I print so that the black template images are the same size along the dotted line as my door handles?

Hey Nikki - the pages in that template are 12x12 (the size of my cutting board) - if you tried to print as-is on letter paper, it would definitely be scaled down. Here is a page with the Right handle wrap that you can print and verify using a standard printer:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ma9x1lsiowc45xm/tesla-right-door-handle-preview.pdf?dl=0

All: sorry for not responding sooner - I didn't realize the conversation was still going. Thanks for all of the feedback.

If you're interested in purchasing, I would be willing to buy some more of the 3M carbon fiber film, cut and send to you. $100/set should cover my time and costs. Send me a private message if you're interested... I'd prefer to do them all in a batch and send them out in mid-November.

Don't forget - you can always do it yourself too for < $400 (cost of cutting machine, cutting supplies, and film)... I would be happy to walk you through it... and, in the end, you would own the equipment. There are other uses for the machine... for example, you can cut your own holiday cards... something like this would otherwise cost you $3-4/card in the store:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1239802

You could also join a DIY place, such as Dallas Makerspace or the equivalent in your area, where you can use the equipment without the investment. Note that some equipment requires you to take one of their training classes before you can use it.

If you're interested in purchasing, I would be willing to buy some more of the 3M carbon fiber film, cut and send to you. $100/set should cover my time and costs. Send me a private message if you're interested... I'd prefer to do them all in a batch and send them out in mid-November....

no offense intended, but a little on the high side for me....how about a group buy? say 10-20 people for $50/person? if so, i'm in!

I think $100 is reasonable, it would cost you more elsewhere and In my case, i wouldn't get out of bed for any less if I were doing it :biggrin:

Agreed! Not only is it $25 per door (which is cheap!), but it's brandfisch's time, materials, and "R&D" to design the thing in the first place AND offer it for free to anyone who wants to do it themselves.

I'm in for a set.

Way cheaper here ... no affiliation with seller. Carbon Fiber Door Handle Wraps - 4 Pieces $24.99

http://www.rpmtesla.com/#!product/prd1/3366911211/carbon-fiber-door-handle-wraps---4-pieces

cd0434_79f45f431b8d44ecbe6898df316ec29e.jpg