Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY - Carbon Fiber Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way cheaper here ... no affiliation with seller. Carbon Fiber Door Handle Wraps - 4 Pieces $24.99

RPM Tesla
http://www.rpmtesla.com/#!product/prd1/3366911211/carbon-fiber-door-handle-wraps---4-pieces
View attachment 159535
I bought these and tried very hard to make them work. Even if you view the installation video in detail, you'll see that there is still chrome showing at the rear edge of the door handle when they're finished. Perhaps a pro could do this, but I patiently tried and re-tried to make the proper alignments that produced no visible chrome and no bubbles, seams, warps, lines, etc. For ME, this product didn't work. YMMV.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jimmy 1
If you look at the 1st page I had the 3rd post. I purchased a set from the op and after a year they still look and feel perfect. I've bought stuff from rpmtesla and some things have been amazing. Others just didn't fit as perfect as I would have liked and as such, I've replaced with vinyl or plastidip. I feel like these handles will last another year or more.

The shop that did my opticoat is now powder coating handles and they look amazing. Check out #coloradodetail if interested.

If you look at the 1st page I had the 3rd post. I purchased a set from the op and after a year they still look and feel perfect. I've bought stuff from rpmtesla and some things have been amazing. Others just didn't fit as perfect as I would have liked and as such, I've replaced with vinyl or plastidip. I feel like these handles will last another year or more.

The shop that did my opticoat is now powder coating handles and they look amazing. Check out #coloradodetail if interested.

I have ones from www.teslatats.com on my car, and they fit perfect and have held up great.

I bought these and tried very hard to make them work. Even if you view the installation video in detail, you'll see that there is still chrome showing at the rear edge of the door handle when they're finished. Perhaps a pro could do this, but I patiently tried and re-tried to make the proper alignments that produced no visible chrome and no bubbles, seams, warps, lines, etc. For ME, this product didn't work. YMMV.
Absolute Junk

Here's my version with Vvivid Black Tech Art Gloss Carbon which is the wrap that looks closest to the real stuff.

DSC_7911.JPG

DSC_7912.JPG

DSC_7910.JPG

I had all of the chrome wrapped with the Black Tech Art Gloss Carbon.

Thank you OP for the templates! I ended up converting them so they'd work with my Silhouette cutting machine and did some with 3M 1080 CF wrap today. Uploading the template that will work with the Silhouette in case it will be useful to anyone - here: tesla-door-handle-wrap-v8-all-front.studio3

Attachments

• IMG_8636.JPG
    IMG_8636.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_8638.JPG
    IMG_8638.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_8640.JPG
    IMG_8640.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: BlueOvalFan
Thank you OP for the templates! I ended up converting them so they'd work with my Silhouette cutting machine and did some with 3M 1080 CF wrap today. Uploading the template that will work with the Silhouette in case it will be useful to anyone - here: tesla-door-handle-wrap-v8-all-front.studio3

@Jimmy 1, can you share which SIlhouette you used? If a Cameo, was it a v1,2,or 3? I'm looking to buy a cutter and if I could do one closer to $100 than $200 my wife would be happier :)

0F90B333-1AD1-49DE-A13B-2A603AAB90C1.jpeg 0036891F-955A-424F-83BF-205AB0EF2342.jpeg

Just did this with matte black vinyl. Love the way it looks over my chrome handles. I will say it was pretty challenging to do with vinyl as it’s much more delicate that carbon fiber. As you can see I have some bubbles on inside but it doesn’t bother me much.

I see you chose to just do the top surface of the handle, not a wrap around. I actually used your template to print on my Cameo (THANK YOU!) and then I realized!

How did you convert the SVG or PDF to Silhouette? I'm looking to do the whole handle.

I was able to use Photoshop to convert the OP's file to a PNG and upload it to Silhouette. From there the "trace" function allows you to make it printable and save it as an SVG. Thanks to everyone who made this easy DIY possible!!!

I was able to use Photoshop to convert the OP's file to a PNG and upload it to Silhouette. From there the "trace" function allows you to make it printable and save it as an SVG. Thanks to everyone who made this easy DIY possible!!!

Would you be willing to share here or via PM? This has been on my to-do list for months but I had the same question and I don't have Photoshop (but I do have SIlhouette Studio.)