Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I did my rear applique it took 2 people and 2 hours. Not sure if there is a trick....just patience
I guess I haven't been patient enough yet. Will try again this weekend.
I remove the rear liftgate speaker cover from the panel. Then plug in the light harness, then make sure all the panel clips are in place and start from the rear and push up and towards the front of the car (This will ensure that the two plastic guides on each side go into the slots, then push the panel clips in. With the speaker grill removed you can use you fingers to ensure panel clips on the inside (near the speaker grills) are nice and tight. Then screw in the screws on the panel ends and you should be good to reattach the liftgate smaller panels around it. Make sense? maybe not ,but when you have done it like 20 times there is a right way and a wrong way to get everything in place.
Makes sense. I was in the process of removing the speaker grill last night but had trouble removing that and gave up since it was late. I will try again this weekend. Hopefully with success.

I had the power liftgate on my old Model S 85, I do miss it sometimes, but I don't miss that annoying beeping sound. Maybe we can put tape over the speakers to reduce the volume.

Before installing, I took apart controller module, to see if I can disconnect the speaker, unfortunately, it doesn't use a speaker, it uses buzzer that's embedded into the board. I would imagine you can disconnect it, if you are good with electronics and soldering iron, but it's tough, and I didn't want to damage controller board. Don't think taping it over would help much either.

Guys looking at fitting the OEM tesla button in the tailgate. Can you please verify if this male 3 pin connector will fit in the tesla button? Also what is the best way to fit the pins, crimp or solder? do you split the pins or keep them all connected?

PK OF 5 - MALE 3 PIN FAN POWER CONNECTOR - BLACK INC PINS | eBay

That's not the right one. This is male, and you need female for the button. You will still have to shave off some plastic from each side, because it doesn't fit as is into the button connector. You can buy regular computer fan extension cable, they cost around $2. I removed the pins from inside of the connector, cut the wires and soldered in wires from the original button to the pins, then reinserted them. Crimping them didn't work for me, cause they were already cramped and I couldn't open them.

Just installed the power liftgate by COzero today. It works pretty well, and the beep is not as annoying as I thought it would be. Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the height of the opening like the OEM PLG, or is it just a simple all the way and all the way down liftgate system?

Hi John, you can adjust it the same way the factory power liftgate is adjusted - just open the trunk to the desired height, and long press on the inner control button until you hear a confirmation beep.

Let me know if we can help you further in any way!

Best regards,
COzero Team

Hi,
Thank you for the response. I'll try it later today. The height adjustment option was not in the instruction manual. I've noticed that it is difficult to pause the liftgate, it either wants to go all the way up or down, and the force is stronger than the OEM liftgate.

Wow. Great thread! Thanks for posting this. I had no idea this was possible. I just ordered the kit. From my younger DIY car stereo days, I'm notorious for breaking clips when removing panels, so I'm glad this kit comes with some replacement ones.

I'll review all these great instructions and videos before attempting installation. I'll likely be back here asking for help at some point.

Will update once everything arrives.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Hi,

Does anyone know if the autoease kit is the same as the cozero one? Cozero have some massive price differences between their international store and the EU store, the international one works out at £200 less than the EU one but won't let me ship to the UK, the autoease site will so works out much cheaper but just want to make sure it's the same before ordering.

Thanks!

Hi,

Does anyone know if the autoease kit is the same as the cozero one? Cozero have some massive price differences between their international store and the EU store, the international one works out at £200 less than the EU one but won't let me ship to the UK, the autoease site will so works out much cheaper but just want to make sure it's the same before ordering.

Thanks!
They are the same kit

Does anyone have tips on how to put back the large plastic rear panel back in the trunk? I've been trying for two days. There must be some sort of magic involved.
I removed mine a couple of times on my '13 and '17 - by myself. The tricks I learned is use short bungie
Guys looking at fitting the OEM tesla button in the tailgate. Can you please verify if this male 3 pin connector will fit in the tesla button? Also what is the best way to fit the pins, crimp or solder? do you split the pins or keep them all connected?

PK OF 5 - MALE 3 PIN FAN POWER CONNECTOR - BLACK INC PINS | eBay

Okay, where did you go? Who needs the connector that plugs into the switch Tesla Part number 1010327-00-A for the liftgate control switch? Three pin connector with an offset? Looks like those colored wires are bright blue, black and white with brown stripe.

Need that connector?
1-1718346-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser
And I think you are going to need these pins. This is harder to find the right ones.
963715-1 (Cut Strip) TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
These must be purchased in min of 100 items in cut strips. At 11 cents each that's not as bad
as the same part number from same company that are sold only in lots of 10,000
Here's another that looks like they are the same pin size. These too are min 100 cut strip.
Priced a little higher at nearly 16 cents each.
928999-1 (Cut Strip) TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser

You owe me a dollar or cup of coffee. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kfly212
Hey guys I just finished doing an OEM power liftgate retrofit on my 2013 model S. It took a little bit of work and to find where all the necessary parts went but everything is working stock other then on the MCU it shows that the truck is open all the time, anybody know how to fix that?

I did the reboot where I hold down the two control wheels on the steering wheel, if there any other one? It looks like the trunk sensor is not working does anybody know where it is and what part number it is to replace it?
Yes, there's a deep boot for the center console. Hold your foot on the brake, then press and hold the control wheels until the boot starts. Then you can release the brake.

There's also the dash reboot. But that message is not coming from there. That's the upper buttons on the steering wheel. No harm doing those, but it probably not coming from there.

You should also go an perform a cycle of the liftgate too. Include setting the height too. Its just exercising all the functions to insure they get a reset so-to-speak.

I didn't even realize that was an option. Any chance you have a part number handy for the auto hatch lock?

No I don't, you should however confirm what I have stated with your SC. The reason I believe this to be the case is just comparing how a non motorized liftgate closes to a motorized one, you hear the lock ratchet and pull the liftgate in. It would explain why you are seeing the behavior you're seeing. Is the liftgate fully closing and locking or do you need to push down more for the screen to show it's actually closed?

IMG_1767.JPG

So, I got most of the main wiring done, but need some help to wire other OEM button.

Anyone know these wires map to the OEM button?