Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, first post. I purchased the Autoease TL-105 lift kit because of this thread. I just installed it and can't weigh in on how it is compared to the co zero kit but I can say so far so good. If you just bought a kit like me, they have updated their control module to their 4th version. I had some issues with connected it up with the struts and reached out to their support. I was HIGHLY impressed with how responsive they were in troubleshooting what wasn't working. Long story short, it looks like the connectors from the one strut needs to be modified a bit to fit the new controller. If you bought the kit, you have to cut off the little tabs that keep you from putting the grey plugs into the blue openings. I let autoease know that they should include instructions in the kit letting people know this.

The kit also now includes a powered retracting latch... I haven't had the bravery to tackle that yet and the hatch has been closing well without it so far (after adjusting the lift gate rubber stoppers). I'll repost if I tackle that install and let you know if that's worth it.

I also purchased the foot activated open kit but another person's post on this thread made me afraid to install it because I think you may have to cut the under side of the lower bumper a bit to install it. If I build up the courage to install it, I will share my results.

Hi Mukuzai,

I also have the original Tesla button and the PLG from COzero V2.0 and I did connect it like you described:
  • "Signal to trunk (wire to purple)
  • Ground (wire to black)
  • Illumination (wire to green)"
The button is working fine but it has no light ... I also tried to switch the "Illumination" with the "Signal to trunk" and I had Light but in tis case a double tap on the button was needed to close the trunk :(

Do you have any suggestions to solve this problem?

Reactions: LoveEV
I installed my 1. gen kit from Che1/Autoease 18 months ago and it has performed fairly well except for the occasional uncommanded closing of the trunk.
Recently though, two annoying problems have surfaced. The first is the uncommanded closing, only now it happens 8 out of 10 times I open the trunk. It seems to be temperature dependent, on really hot days it just will not stay open at all!

The second issue is that both struts are ratteling, the righthand side much more than the left.
There is significant play between the inner and outer tube resulting in a very audible ratteling noise that is present when going over even small bumps, speeedbumps etc.
I wrapped the outer tubes in waterpipe insulation foam to give the strut a bit tension when stowed, that killed the ratteling noise and fixed the problem.....it does look pretty ghetto though :(

So then, would this qualify as a warranty case or should I just suck it up and order a new kit from COzero?
Going back to manual opening is not an option;)

I have the same issue of uncommanded closing after about 18 months of use, so I emailed Autoease and they shipped me a new set of struts. Should be in tomorrow, I guess the warranty period didn't expire yet. I will have to see how to tie in the wiring of the existing struts. I hope I don't have to pull the trimming apart again. it wasn't easy.

Got the V9 update last weekend and a couple things changed. You can still open the trunk with the CoZero kit from the screen but then the button greys out and just says it's open. Doesn't seem to be a way to close the trunk from the screen.

On the phone app previously trying to open and close the trunk would have mixed results but it would always do something. Now there is no response from the app at all. The avatar in the background will open it's trunk but the car does nothing. Although the app also had no response for the front trunk so that may be a glitch with V9 and the phone app.

Everything still works from the key fob and with the controls on the trunk itself, which is fine for me personally as those are the only ways I interact with the trunk. If another user hadn't alerted me to the screen issue I'm not sure how long it would have taken before noticing.

I bought the gen1 kit from autoease in March 2017 and the only issue is how hard it slams the trunk. I emailed autoease and they sold me an upgrade kit which comes with a new control box and a power latch. I installed them last night the soft closing works very well.
20181121_174253.jpg

Reactions: Akikiki
I bought the gen1 kit from autoease in March 2017 and the only issue is how hard it slams the trunk. I emailed autoease and they sold me an upgrade kit which comes with a new control box and a power latch. I installed them last night the soft closing works very well.View attachment 354895

Nice!!! So the newer kits come with this? Anyone know someone in Los Angeles area who can install or help install?

I paid $200 shipping included. They also offered a $300 kit which includes new power structs. Apprently the new structs match OEM length and gen1 structs are shorter. But I think my trunk lifts high enough.