Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution to deadening tire noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This get's more interesting every day. Recticel has proposed to sell me set of tires with its HTC sound deadening foam system installed. I would install the tires on a set of wheels for testing. If the testing proves successful, they would then make DIY kits available to Tesla owners for retrofitting to existing tires.

I told them I was all for this approach. I probably won't get a confirmation until after the holidays but depending on how and where they intend to do the testing, I may need another owner to volunteer for the installation and testing.

So stay tuned.

Thats excellent news! A kit with precut pieces and providing the proper glue would be something I'd probably jump on. I wonder what impact the extra unsprung weight will have on range.

Thats excellent news! A kit with precut pieces and providing the proper glue would be something I'd probably jump on. I wonder what impact the extra unsprung weight will have on range.

I can't imagine the weight of the foam will effect range much -- it'll be less than 16oz.

I just had another email from them. I can chose the tires for this test. So I'm going to chose tires for which I already have solid baseline readings -- that means Pirelli 245/40R-20 Cinturato P7 All Season Plus XL, 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL, or 19" Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. Which I choose may depend on timing -- if this won't happen until warmer weather I'll opt for the 21" Michelins. if it happens quickly I'll do the 20" Pirellis, which are on my car now and a relatively quiet tire to begin with.

With the Pirellis my car is so quiet now I'm not sure how much better it can get.

I can't imagine the weight of the foam will effect range much -- it'll be less than 16oz.

I just had another email from them. I can chose the tires for this test. So I'm going to chose tires for which I already have solid baseline readings -- that means Pirelli 245/40R-20 Cinturato P7 All Season Plus XL, 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL, or 19" Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. Which I chose may depend on timing -- if this won't happen until warmer weather I'll opt for the 21" Michelins. if it happens quickly I'll do the Pirellis.

And they told me I'll do the testing.

Fantastic news guys.

This get's more interesting every day. Recticel has proposed to sell me set of tires with its HTC sound deadening foam system installed. I would install the tires on a set of wheels for testing. If the testing proves successful, they would then make DIY kits available to Tesla owners for retrofitting to existing tires.

I told them I was all for this approach. I probably won't get a confirmation until after the holidays but depending on how and where they intend to do the testing, I may need another owner to volunteer for the installation and testing.

So stay tuned.
Oh, man! I'm actually getting excited for you! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Plus, if owners can get a kit to put in their own tires, this is fantastic news indeed!

When you started this thread (I'm sorry to admit), I thought you were a nut on a path to certain disaster. Now I take back every such thought I ever had. :redface: If this pans out, which it completely sounds like it will, you will have done great things for the entire Tesla ownership community!

When you started this thread (I'm sorry to admit), I thought you were a nut on a path to certain disaster. Now I take back every such thought I ever had. :redface: If this pans out, which it completely sounds like it will, you will have done great things for the entire Tesla ownership community!

Having read a number of Art's threads, I'm convinced he is, in fact, a nut. He's just my kind of nut.

Heard today from the tire sound deadening foam manufacturer. Evidently tires sold in Europe are not legal in the US owing to complications with the tire markings. So I'll ship them a set of my tires, they'll line them with their proprietary foam and other materials, and ship them back to me for testing on my car. I've deciced to use the 21' Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL, as I already have tons of sound data on them and they're realtively noisy. They're aslo relatively new with only about 3,000 miles on them.

This is probably going to take a few months with shipping back and forth but the tires should come back to me just as the weather warms up and I'll be eager to put the 21" wheels back on the car. If the testing proves successful they'll then provide foam kits for other Tesla owners to install or have installed in thier own tires. I have no idea what the foam kits might cost but based on what I know about foam costs it will likley be modest.

Last edited: