Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do electromagnetic fields cause long term damage to health by driving an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ignoring the discussion of is EMF safe or not, there is a significant variance in EMF when it's supercharging and not supercharging.

I would personally not sit in the car during supercharging sessions. Even worse, keeping kids/pets in the back seat where EMF is the highest during supercharging (think exponential increase compared to the front seats).

hmm. any references?

I might consider getting the kids to leave while SC. Added benefit no AC/heat usage...

Ignoring the discussion of is EMF safe or not, there is a significant variance in EMF when it's supercharging and not supercharging.

I would personally not sit in the car during supercharging sessions. Even worse, keeping kids/pets in the back seat where EMF is the highest during supercharging (think exponential increase compared to the front seats).

so if you are travelling with a baby and you need to supercharge...and it’s raining...you need to get out of the car until it’s charged up.
Not convenient at all.
There should be more info from Tesla on this as it’s potentially a serious risk to long term health.
But maybe profits come first...

The majority here are so defensive!
50 years ago the same was said about cigarettes and asbestos...now it’s universally accepted how detrimental to health these things are.

There is no defense here. There is explanation, based on current scientific belief, on what is the expected effect of magnetic fields on living tissue. There are also corollaries regarding how more powerful magnetic fields don't seem to have effects over decades, as seen in other lines of work in which individuals work under those conditions.

Ever watch better call Saul? Chuck has a an emf allergy

Gy2fKk.gif

gees you all seem to be completely devoid of any sense of perspective.
It’s a legitimate question...just because it does not align with your opinions does not make it wrong.

you all need to grow up

For the record I agree with this. He is right it is a legitimate question. It's interesting how they were saying emf from our phones was dangerous at one point and now we are driving battery powered cars with built-in wifi and 4g and whatever else. I am sure a study will be done on it eventually. I would not be surprised if there is some negative to sitting near 400volts for hours a day. I am no engineer or doctor but it is an interesting question.

My previous post with Chuck from better call saul is just because I love the show. Try watching it if you haven't already. Great prequal to breaking bad.

OK, come on folks. do you really think electric travel is new.
Thousands of people travel on electric trains, subways and trolly cars
with big bad ass power every day, hours and hours every day. Does
anyone think that a 4 seat car compares to a 100 passenger train.
Is DART gas powered? (need to google this) The trains on the east coast are also electric.
I will start selling protective underware and alu hats next week, please pre-order.

so if you are travelling with a baby and you need to supercharge...and it’s raining...you need to get out of the car until it’s charged up.
Not convenient at all.
There should be more info from Tesla on this as it’s potentially a serious risk to long term health.
But maybe profits come first...

I am actually going to thank you for posting this, because it shows me exactly how much attention I should pay to the rest of your posts, so thank you for that.

Magnetic field strength 12" away from the battery conductors in a Model S when accelerating in Ludicrous mode (I = 1500A):

B = u0 * I / (2 * pi * d)

B = (4 * pi & 10^-7) * 1500 A / (2 * pi * 0.3048 m) = 0.0009843 T

Magnetic field strength inside typical MRI machine = 2.000 T

Typical time in MRI machine = 30 minutes.

Time that you need to sit next to the battery conductors in a Model S while the car is accelerating in Ludicrous mode to get the same magnetic field exposure as the 30 minutes in the MRI machine:

2.000 / 0.0009843 * 30 min = 60960 min = 42.3 days.

It's even better, that that. The positive and negative lines are run next to each other, so the only field you get is due to the offset between them and your specific orientation relative to them. If they are routed 2 inches center to center, and you are in the worst case position:
Far conductor ( 2 inches further away):
B = (4 * pi & 10^-7) * (-1500 A) / (2 * pi * 0.3048 * (14/12) m) = -12/14 * 0.0009843 T
Near conductor:
= 0.0009843 * (2/14)
Or 1/7 of the single wire case.
If you are along the midpoint of the two, it's near zero.

On a different topic:
Regarding supercharging:: that is DC, and a static field does nothing of interest. See also: Refrigerator magnets

It's even better, that that. The positive and negative lines are run next to each other, so the only field you get is due to the offset between them and your specific orientation relative to them. If they are routed 2 inches center to center, and you are in the worst case position:
Far conductor ( 2 inches further away):
B = (4 * pi & 10^-7) * (-1500 A) / (2 * pi * 0.3048 * (14/12) m) = -12/14 * 0.0009843 T
Near conductor:
= 0.0009843 * (2/14)
Or 1/7 of the single wire case.
If you are along the midpoint of the two, it's near zero.

On a different topic:
Regarding supercharging:: that is DC, and a static field does nothing of interest. See also: Refrigerator magnets

So I guess we can put the EV causing COVID to rest as well as the other stuff.
I guess my Alpha, gamma, nutron , nuttela shorts are not needed.

It's clear some clearly non-trolls are peeking out with concerns as well. I find this interesting and want to correct a few things.

Those who say it's safe because it's DC: No. I'm still not saying it's unsafe, but it's definitely not "just DC" and you're leaving a huge hole of fact in that statement, which isn't consoling at all.

For driving, AC waveforms are generated via the drive inverters from the DC battery pack. For charging, rectification is done which has its own ripple and isn't pure DC. For both cases, surely all the switching electronics to convert voltages are generating fields. These are all sources of EMF, despite the energy source itself being DC it can be used in many changing ways.

At rest, yes, a 400V DC pack isn't doing much of anything regarding EMFs. That's all chemical energy, nothing more.

And for all the "but you use cell/wifi/whatever", yepp. This is true. You're surrounded by fields. This isn't to say "you should worry about everything everywhere!", but to so say "well, it's already everywhere and we're pretty sure it's not doing anything bad despite being inundated with it every day for decades". You're not dumb for missing these details (despite the implications in other posts!), and there's a lot of misinformation out there on this topic due to anti-government/freedoms/conspiracies/whatever. We could also be entirely wrong and this is something to worry about, in which case yes, EVs are the least of our worries. Though the accusations were a bit strong, folks are correct in stating we have more concrete things to worry about like emissions which EVs are helping with.

Be gentle, folks.

Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin
I would think if you are worried about EMF you better move to Antarctica, because with all the Wifi and Cellular signals around, not to mention broadcast TV and radio there is no escape.

Since most cell phone carrying people keep it in a pocket or close to their body that is probably worse than anything a car can do.

And there are more and more hybrid cars, so now you get both the battery/electric and the ignition system and OnStar or whatever connected system the car uses generating EMF.

High power radio/tv broadcasts have been around for over 70 years, centred in large metro areas, so it must be _somewhat_ safe, or else we would know by now.