Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do FSD strikes ever get reset without striking out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm up to 3.

One from messing with the screen, one from looking down at a sandwich I was eating, and the third I don't even know (I was paying attention).

I'm not planning to get anymore, but I'm just curious if they ever reset back to 0 without having to get put in timeout.
There have been a few times in the past when a new version brought a reset of strikes. There is absolutely no guarantee that it will happen again.

While that would be nice, the answer is no. I’ve been driving around with 4 strikes for so long I can’t remember when I got the first one—many, many months ago. Yesterday I decided to intentionally get the fifth. Now I’m out for a week. But I wanted to be sure I have no strikes for the likely release of the holiday update that may or may not have improved FSDb.

Reactions: GrayGhost6
While that would be nice, the answer is no. I’ve been driving around with 4 strikes for so long I can’t remember when I got the first one—many, many months ago. Yesterday I decided to intentionally get the fifth. Now I’m out for a week. But I wanted to be sure I have no strikes for the likely release of the holiday update that may or may not have improved FSDb.
After the week, do you get access again? 4/5 strikes already embedded?

I don’t think I got a pop-up. I recently gave myself the extra 5th strike intentionally to get it reset. I wanted to be sure if there was a big holiday update, with any FSDb improvements that I would be able to try it. I kind of forgot about it for a few days, and then, after about eight or nine days, I think I just turned it on and it worked. I don’t remember seeing any message.

Yeah, you just need to look at your calendar and find a time that the 7 days won't be much of an issue. Then get all your remaining strikes right before that. It's actually kind of fun to intentionally get strikes! It's rare you get to see the whole progression to a strike without the panic! And don't forget, you still have all the non-FSDb driving assist features when in FSDb jail, including lane changes and stopping at red lights and stop signs.

Reactions: n.one.one
Yeah this is absolutely asinine that it doesn't reset strikes after time. I even unsubscribed for 6 months and when I re-subbed I still had a strike. But nah, if I get 5 strikes in one hour, I can reset them all after a week...
All that does is encourage people to drive worse than usual right before they go on vacation. I predict an uptick in FSD crashes right before Christmas. 🤣

Exactly. It's completely stupid. You also can't touch your screen for more than like 3 seconds while FSD is engaged unless it might deactivate and give you a strike.

That makes total sense.
Yes, but why would you need to touch that screen while driving? Just use all the tactile controls, and buttons and...like....oh....wait....

Honestly though, this is also another reason I covered my cabin camera with a sliding cover. You can't use FSBd with it covered, but everything else works (autosteer, etc.). With it covered I can do *crazy*, **insane** things, like: change my radio station, adjust the cabin temperature, or select an appropriate windshield wiper setting, all without disengagements and strikes. I know. I'm taking my life into my hands. When I want to use FSDb, I slide the cover off the camera lens and can enable FSDb use.

My strikes were reset with the holiday update!

20231220_102737 (1).jpg

I currently don't have FSD, but thinking about starting a subscription this month.
While using Autopilot 2 weeks ago, I had a strike. A couple of days ago, I had a second (( think), when I exceeded 90 (passing a car that decided to speed up as I was doing it). Nothing about either currently appears on the screen. It just says "Autosteer (Beta) will no longer operate if Autopilot disables 5 times." It says nothing after that about my vehicle, such as is shown in the post above.
Couple of questions:
1) Does anyone think that any strikes I previously had may suddenly appear after I activate my subscription?
2) Does driving over the allowed speed (90?) count as a strike?