Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2022.36.20 What is going on!!! 5 Strikes you're out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model YLR
Update 2022.36.20 What is going on!!! FSD strikes out of nowhere.

For almost a year I have had the full self-drive. (Yes, I did the safety score and all) I have 21,000 miles and I would say that 98% is FSD. I had one strike months ago, but after the update to 2022.36.20 I got 4 strikes within 86 miles and have been blocked out. The update did not reset the strikes to zero.

There were no warnings, nothing. Just a disengagement of FSD. The first strike I was looking out the window for 30 seconds and FSD disengaged. Reset the FSD (stop and start the car), started driving and soon it disengaged again. No warning at all. One strike came after another and soon I had 5 and it was over.

I cannot not express how conservatively I was driving. The last thing I wanted was to strike out of FSD.

If this is the way FSD is going to monitor drivers, it will never work. It is not worth the $200.00 monthly if you cannot look out a window while on FSD. Tesla has become too conservative while driving on FSD to make FSD worth the effort and the money. Maybe it is the government’s requirements, I do not know but FSD will never be adapted by the public in the current condition. I don’t see the point in FSD if I must be more attentive driving with FSD, than without.

While driving on FSD I am constantly taking over from Tesla, making corrections, and sending data to Tesla. When it is Tesla faults, no penalty but when I look out the window for a second it is my fault and Tesla strikes me out.

I bought the Tesla for the FSD, and if this is the future for FSD then I would not but another Tesla. I just do not see the advantages over so many other cars that are available.

I would not have updated if I have known this.

2021 Model YLR

For almost a year I have had the full self-drive. (Yes, I did the safety score and all) I have 21,000 miles and I would say that 98% is FSD. I had one strike months ago, but after the update to 2022.36.20 I got 4 strikes within 86 miles and have been blocked out. The update did not reset the strikes to zero.

There were no warnings, nothing. Just a disengagement of FSD. The first strike I was looking out the window for 30 seconds and FSD disengaged. Reset the FSD (stop and start the car), started driving and soon it disengaged again. No warning at all. One strike came after another and soon I had 5 and it was over.

I cannot not express how conservatively I was driving. The last thing I wanted was to strike out of FSD.

If this is the way FSD is going to monitor drivers, it will never work. It is not worth the $200.00 monthly if you cannot look out a window while on FSD. Tesla has become too conservative while driving on FSD to make FSD worth the effort and the money. Maybe it is the government’s requirements, I do not know but FSD will never be adapted by the public in the current condition. I don’t see the point in FSD if I must be more attentive driving with FSD, than without.

While driving on FSD I am constantly taking over from Tesla, making corrections, and sending data to Tesla. When it is Tesla faults, no penalty but when I look out the window for a second it is my fault and Tesla strikes me out.

I bought the Tesla for the FSD, and if this is the future for FSD then I would not but another Tesla. I just do not see the advantages over so many other cars that are available.

2021 Model YLR

I have the exact same problem, all my trips are long trips. After this last update I started a 400 mile trip and had 2 forced disengagements within 30 minutes of each other with zero warning. The way home I had 3 with in 1 hour of driving. I don't use FSD on city streets just highway, now I'm kicked out for how ever long. I've driven 31k miles this year and never had a single issue till this last update. I personally think the FSD is a bunch of crap software that's always ****ing up on me.

I have the exact same problem, all my trips are long trips. After this last update I started a 400 mile trip and had 2 forced disengagements within 30 minutes of each other with zero warning. The way home I had 3 with in 1 hour of driving. I don't use FSD on city streets just highway, now I'm kicked out for how ever long. I've driven 31k miles this year and never had a single issue till this last update. I personally think the FSD is a bunch of crap software that's always ****ing up on me.
Do you have a wheel weight?

Hi FSD Betas,

Were these drives and strikes during the day or at night???

Other people and threads believe that the cabin camera is having
difficulty seeing your eyes in the dark.

Some cars have infrared LEDs to be sure your eyes can be seen
in low light or no light situations.
Some of the LEDs do not work... and will require service.
Whether or not you have functional LEDs is an easy test.
In the dark with the car "on" and drive selector in Drive
or Reverse take a picture of the cabin camera with a fairly new
cell phone and it will show the glowing LEDs.
(If they are present and on.)
They do not illuminate during daytime in daylight.
They are not present in legacy Model S or legacy Model X neither of
which are equipped with cabin cameras.

If these strikes happened in the daytime, I don't have too many ideas.
@Supcom is asking above about steering wheel weights - This release
does have the capability of indentifying steering wheel weights and you
will receive strikes without warnings for these weights.

IR Illumination by Cabin Camera.jpg

See the purple IR LEDs illuminated in the picture above...

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: dcesq06
2021 Model YLR

Hard to give an opinion when the story changes. You said you were staring out the window for 30 seconds then it became 1 second. Then your complaint is “what good is it if I can’t stare out the window“? If you pay attention and follow the rules my Guess is you would still have no strikes. I have none granted I prefer to pay attention.

Reactions: Twiglett
2021 Model YLR

Yet another example of why FSD is crap. Glad I didn't buy it on my new Model 3. The lady who bought my old FSD-enabled Model 3 can deal with this garbage.

Yet another example of why FSD is crap. Glad I didn't buy it on my new Model 3. The lady who bought my old FSD-enabled Model 3 can deal with this garbage.
A lot of reasons to not use FSD, not buy FSD, or decide it is useless. But false strikes are not one of them. There is not yet a single documented case of a false strike. There have been a few that apparently were due to hardware failures, though it is not clear (and they weren’t documented in any case).

We’ll see if we can get a documented case but nothing so far.

A lot of reasons to not use FSD, not buy FSD, or decide it is useless. But false strikes are not one of them. There is not yet a single documented case of a false strike. There have been a few that apparently were due to hardware failures, though it is not clear (and they weren’t documented in any case).

We’ll see if we can get a documented case but nothing so far.
I'm not sure how you can ever have a "documented" case unless Tesla turns over video footage from the inside camera. There have certainly been examples of strikes due to what seems like hardware issues although there is no way to tell for sure.

Reactions: dcesq06
You have driven 31,000 miles this year without a single issue? But it’s a bunch of crap software ALWAYS fuking up? Please elaborate how this can all be true.

2021 Model YLR

First issue is you bought a car for something that is not yet available (FSD), however had you signed up here long before now there are so many people that would have provided answers to questions you had about the FSD…….hold on this is difficult to understand …….BETA, that not everyone had when you purchased the car. So you bought a car to get something in testing that not everyone was able to get due to its limitied availability and limitations, however you did get it and expect to drive down a highway looking out the side window for 30 seconds and believe that’s ok. Teenagers can send half a dozen texts in 30 seconds would that be ok while they are driving down the highway?

I haven’t seen one. I believe hardware failures do occur of course.
You have more faith in the attention monitoring software than I. It is certainly possible that the software that does eye/head tracking could have issues. Perhaps is has trouble with certain skin tones, hair color, head shapes, hats, sunglasses, or combinations of these. Perhaps shadows falling across the face could fool it.

I received a false strike months ago. After the first attention monitoring warning, I was extremely cautious about looking straight ahead. Within minutes, I got two more warnings and a strike. It's the only strike I ever received and I very rarely get an attention monitoring warning. It was not a wheel tug violation.

Reactions: MTOman
You have more faith in the attention monitoring software than I. It is certainly possible that the software that does eye/head tracking could have issues. Perhaps is has trouble with certain skin tones, hair color, head shapes, hats, sunglasses, or combinations of these. Perhaps shadows falling across the face could fool it.

I received a false strike months ago. After the first attention monitoring warning, I was extremely cautious about looking straight ahead. Within minutes, I got two more warnings and a strike. It's the only strike I ever received and I very rarely get an attention monitoring warning. It was not a wheel tug violation.
I believe you may be on to something with the hat idea

I wouldn’t doubt that prior versions have had problems of one form or another. I know there was weirdness with some pre-release of 10.69. Just talking about current version 10.69.3.1.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t doubt that prior versions have had problems of one form or another. I know there was weirdness with some pre-release of 10.69. Just talking about current version 10.69.3.1.
I suspect that the eye/head tracker has improved, but I still wouldn't expect it's infallible. I wonder how many non-FSD owners end up wrongly in AP jail. Not as big of a deal, so maybe less griping about it

I've been holding out hope that Tesla could remove the wheel nag in favor of just eye tracking, but recent actions demonstrate that's not likely anytime soon.

I've been holding out hope that Tesla could remove the wheel nag in favor of just eye tracking,

Some reduction in frequency still seems like it could happen if attention is robust. I kind of feel like it already works that way, though I am not sure. I just know when I am fully focused on the road with no screen fiddling or other distractions (passengers/dogs), I basically never see nags.

I suspect that the eye/head tracker has improved, but I still wouldn't expect it's infallible. I wonder how many non-FSD owners end up wrongly in AP jail. Not as big of a deal, so maybe less griping about it

I've been holding out hope that Tesla could remove the wheel nag in favor of just eye tracking, but recent actions demonstrate that's not likely anytime soon.
I kinda suspect Tesla is giving up on using a camera for eye tracking to replace wheel torque. There are just too may variables and situations that a camera can't handle well. I wouldn't be surprised if the refreshed 3 had IR sensor and was also added to the Y and all legacy are stuck with wheel torque. After all if completely accurate eye tracking was imminent why double down on torque defeat device detection?

Using Tesla's words against them that driving is done with vision. Well seeing someones eyes can't always be done with vision. Even simple dark sunglasses and you can't tell if someone is looking at you or in another direction.

Last edited: