Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I buy used M3P or New LR ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

Need some opinions on buying a 2019 stealth performance, or buying a 2021 long range awd. The 2019 has 20k miles and 30 months on the warranty left, and the overall transaction would save me $6k over the 2021 model. I live in Florida - not sure how much the heat pump will help me. Thoughts?

Reactions: bobw
I think threads on "performance vs awd" would be the most relevant ones. New vs used is up to you.

Here are a few threads with peoples thoughts on the differences.

Performance or LR-AWD
LR AWD BOOST w/ FSD or Performance w/AP
LR-AWD or Performance
AWD Long Range w/Autopilot or Performance without?

I know the differences between the two. I have driven both of them as well. This is specifically a new vs used question, and more specifically because the 2021 has more changes to it.

I would like to hear from experienced Model 3 owners just how valuable 12 additional months of warranty is/has been/would be worth to them.
From what I have read, it doesn't seem worth much unless they had horrible luck. The model 3 seems very reliable. That being said - I think I am going new because the savings are less than I originally calculated. And over a 3 - 4 year span, I think the used car might actually end up costing slightly more because of future resale value, just a prediction of course.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
From what I have read, it doesn't seem worth much unless they had horrible luck. The model 3 seems very reliable. That being said - I think I am going new because the savings are less than I originally calculated. And over a 3 - 4 year span, I think the used car might actually end up costing slightly more because of future resale value, just a prediction of course.

I'm about to ruffle the feathers of a lot of folks, but so be it ...

If you're doing a dollar-for-dollar comparison, I don't think the Performance editions make fiscal sense. The extra 0-60 performance is fun, but realistically, how often are you going to be driving in such a way that the LR will leave you feeling disappointed?

The honest answer is ... unless you're going to the racetrack ... almost never. The 20" wheels are a PITA. Less range. The suspension changes are minimal at best.

If it were me, I'd take a new 2021 LR all day long. If after a year or two you feel the need for speed, add the Acceleration Boost option. Gets you 98% of the way to a Performance, with less cost.

If you're a racer or like to take it to the track -- BY ALL MEANS -- go with the Performance edition. But for street driving? I'd take the LR 10 out of 10 times.

I normally keep a car so long that resale value is negligible anyway.

Well, first you have to know which trim you want. If you're going to be sad about missing out on the fairly rare Stealth, then go for the 2021 refreshed LR AWD. Less money, new car, available Accel Boost, and it's about as quick as the P (especially beyond launch). Plus at lower states of charge you won't have the same P benefit anyway. FWIW I have a 2020 P3D-. Girlfriend has a LR AWD. Both are amazing. You could probably answer this more easily if you assess how upset you might be for not buying a Stealth. Will you regret it? If not, go for the 2021 LR AWD and add accel boost the first day. :)

Also, 20k miles is kind of a lot. I would buy new unless the cost difference justifies the 20k miles. How bad do you want a new car? Was the P3D- smoked in? Did the last driver wear gobs of cologne?

When I bought a used 2018 LEAF S (before my Tesla of course), I never stopped smelling the cologne of the last owner. It always annoyed me, and like Elon I have a great sense of smell. Elon actually prohibits interviewees from wearing cologne, apparently....though I don't know how they convey that.

I'd tend to favor the new car unless you really want a P3D- and the car is in excellent condition, was cared-for properly, has an intact frunk with best-practices used to close it, has plenty of tread on tires (or new tires) and is the color combo you want at a great price. Funny, I was trying to sell my 2020 P3D- (less than 2k miles) about a month ago because I'm not driving much due to the pandemic.

No one knows if the the warranty is worth that since time-wise no warranties have expired on any M3s. July 2017 + 48 months is July 2021. And what applies to an early production 3 likely won’t apply to a 2019 3 since new parts and production processes are continually introduced. Will the extra $2500 put you in a pickle financially? Is there something you’d rather spend the $2500 on? Are you eligible for new EV incentives that a used one won’t qualify for?

Prev owner of a dual motor w perforrnance boost /traded for a performance.
If I were to do it over again I would get another dual motor w boost.
The performance is a waste. The dual motor with boost offers basically the exact same performance for alot less money.
There have several video which show there is basically no performance difference.
I will personally vouch for this owning both cars. The only physically difference is the initial launch which is harder on the P.
Bottom line/dont waste the money.

The performance is a waste. The dual motor with boost offers basically the exact same performance for alot less money.
There have several video which show there is basically no performance difference.
I will personally vouch for this owning both cars. The only physically difference is the initial launch which is harder on the P.

I understand that. But saying it’s a waste is subjective. The difference is 6k, and I’m doing a 6 year loan. It’s really not that much. I also want the summer tires as I live in Florida, I want the wheels because the 20inch looks better than the 18’s. I also like the spoiler and red upgraded brakes. It also comes with track mode. I would eventually get new wheels and tires for the regular LR, so why wouldn’t I just go for the performance? I’m also future proofing myself a little bit. I’m not just doing it for the acceleration difference, that is just an added bonus to me.

I understand that. But saying it’s a waste is subjective. The difference is 6k, and I’m doing a 6 year loan. It’s really not that much. I also want the summer tires as I live in Florida, I want the wheels because the 20inch looks better than the 18’s. I also like the spoiler and red upgraded brakes. It also comes with track mode. I would eventually get new wheels and tires for the regular LR, so why wouldn’t I just go for the performance? I’m also future proofing myself a little bit. I’m not just doing it for the acceleration difference, that is just an added bonus to me.
Don’t forget those sweet metal pedals!

You can also go on YouTube, download the Dragy GPS app and view the leaderboards to see various times. The M3P is consistently 11.5-11.6 and the LR w/ boost is 11.8-11.9 which you can see in the video you posted.

Plus, the LR wheels on the '21 just look odd... subjective, yeah, easy to replace, yeah, but some aren't going to go through that process. My wife and I debated this and it wasn't worth buying the LR, buy the boost, and buy another set of wheels.

You can also go on YouTube, download the Dragy GPS app and view the leaderboards to see various times. The M3P is consistently 11.5-11.6 and the LR w/ boost is 11.8-11.9 which you can see in the video you posted.
Case closed. Performance is negligible.
Now if the OP sees the rest of those item worth the extra money then by all means.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sixth