Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to upgrade to MCU2 in order to get the side marker cameras to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving my Model 3 and Y, I have the ability to see the view the cameras on each side of the car (on the left/right side of the fenders). I have late 2016 S with AP2.0. How I get I get access to these cameras? I believe my car was manufactured during the transition period from AP1 to AP2. How do I get the camera views to side marker cameras? Do I need to upgrade to MCU2?

IMG_4153.jpg

You have to upgrade to MCU2. For a short time, MCU1 with AP3 (those that bought FSD) had the dashcam for the front and side cameras. It worked really poorly as MCU1 just didn't have enough processing power to pull it off. Images were often unviewable and corrupted. Tesla smartly pulled it from MCU1 and now requires MCU2 (with AP3). The Retrofit gives you both along with a new instrument cluster. I had a Dec-2016 S that I upgraded to MCU2, and got the full dashcam features, including recording from the rear camera, which was never available with MCU1.

You have to upgrade to MCU2. For a short time, MCU1 with AP3 (those that bought FSD) had the dashcam for the front and side cameras. It worked really poorly as MCU1 just didn't have enough processing power to pull it off. Images were often unviewable and corrupted. Tesla smartly pulled it from MCU1 and now requires MCU2 (with AP3). The Retrofit gives you both along with a new instrument cluster. I had a Dec-2016 S that I upgraded to MCU2, and got the full dashcam features, including recording from the rear camera, which was never available with MCU1.
This is good info. I am having issues with my backup camera, it works intermittently and when it doesn't work, it says "Camera Unavailable". I'm not sure if its a bad camera or if I just need the MCU2. If getting the MCU2 fixes the backup cam issue and provides side views along with netflix, youtube, new screens it might be worth the $2000 tp upgrade. I got the EMMC recall fixed back in Nov 2022. Still slow as hell though.

The render of your car and the presence of the “highway autopilot” package suggests your car is AP1 and doesn’t have side marker cameras to display no matter what.

What does the vehicle report under “additional vehicle info”?

EDIT: sorry. I see now it says autopilot 2.0 computer right there.

yes, it's confusing...
Model 3/Y and latest S/X show the side repeater cameras (if desired) when reversing and also when signaling right or left.
legacy S/X with MCU2 can only show the side repeater view when in reverse if desired
legacy S/X, even with side repeater cameras have neither option with MCU 1.
Many reasons to get MCU2, but this feature is definitely not worth the upgrade cost

legacy S/X with MCU2 can only show the side repeater view when in reverse if desired
Or by making the rear camera full screen, regardless of gear selection. BUT, it's full screen. I've used that occasionally when traffic is heavy and have no need to see the map.

I do miss the days when we could have a half screen of the rear view and half of the browser - no Tesla map displayed. That was a v9 feature. I believe.

Reactions: morepower