TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do my brake lights come on?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by MartyL, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MartyL

MartyL Member

When I'm using adaptive cruise control or autopilot, do my brake lights come on when I'm automatically slowed down?

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Yes, if it’s slowing above a specific rate. But if it is slowing a bit they will not. For example if you click down to reduce by 1-2 mph it doesn’t react fast, thus no brake lights.

It is easy to see at night with the rear camera on.

You can also see the brake lights in the little car in the dashboard.

• Like x 1
  3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Depends on how fast it slows you down. You can see your brake lights on the little car avatar on the instrument cluster. Unless you have a red car, then it's hard to see.

4. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Yes, if the slowing is sufficient to make the brake lights come on. Not all regenerative braking causes the brake lights to operate. You can watch the representation of the car on the dash -- when the brake lights come on there, then your brake lights are on.

Edit: haha, 3 answers for the price of one!

5. kort677

kort677 Banned

yes, you can confirm by looking at the little car in the dashboard. if the brake lights are on it will show there.

6. Max*

Max* Charging

Looking at the brake lights on the little car is hard to do when your tail lights are on. Look at the cars strip on top, it's really easy to tell that way.

• Informative x 2
  7. David29

David29 Supporting Member

It is funny, I never thought about this when i drove manual transmission cars, even ones with Diesel engines and heavy engine braking effects (much like regenerative braking in its effect, believe me). Nothing puts the brake lights on when a car with a "stick" downshifts to decelerate. I wonder if any accidents result from drivers behind the cars being caught unaware by the deceleration....?

8. MartyL

MartyL Member

Thanks!