Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not want AP bundle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel that TACC and lane keeping go hand in hand. It's safest with the bundle than either alone. That's just my opinion.

I think this is the main reason why Tesla bundles them together. Tesla sees TAAC and Auto Steer as complimentary. And they are trying to create that unique driving experience that is close to self-driving and eventually will be.

I'm not doing AP either. I like to drive.
Even the everyday work commute? I hit stop and go traffic constantly during rush hour. I like to drive too, don't get me wrong, but rush hour traffic is just boring and if you're not paying careful attention you're much more likely to rear-end someone. I'll gladly give that part of my day over to a computer.

Reactions: GSP
The only part of AP that I have any use for is the adaptive cruise control. It's rather frustrating to have to buy additional features that are of limited value, when everything is software configured. Collision avoidance is standard, so we know the required hardware is in operation. Why not an option for just TACC? I'd pay a grand for it. We will be doing almost all of our driving in moderately heavy urban traffic and all the rest of the AP capabilities are not needed.

I certainly do agree with you as AP exist RIGHT now.

The problem is we both live in places where people DO NOT move over to the right. This means we can't just use TACC, and enjoy the open road. No instead we constantly have to get around these idiots.

Which is really annoying, and thankfully EAP has autolane changes,

Once it does lane changes that makes EAP so much more useful.

I hear you and agree. I have felt for some time that the AP2 autopilot feature set is much too expensive compared to the AP1 features I purchased.

But, so is the hardware.

All Tesla is doing is charging enough to offset the cost of the HW that's added. It's unfortunate to those of us who only want one feature of it, but I see it as a necessity.

I'm okay with it since I strongly believe the extra hardware across the board will save lives.

I wish other car manufactures did the same thing.

Now this is just with the EAP package. I definitely don't like or wish the FSD option on anyways.

With the Model 3 I think we need to a be little careful of assuming what EAP will have or what it won't have.

You also have to be careful assuming that you know NOW what the ownership experience will be like. When I bought my Model S I didn't realize that the SW upgrades would be so exciting. It's like Christmas right before an anticipated release.

EAP as it is now is a LONG ways away from what Tesla has in store for it.

So a big part of the excitement of having a new Tesla will be that excitement. Even if you don't use smart summons, or some parking feature. Odds are there will be something that you want, or you at least want to try things out to be part of it.

We might even get the ability to use the cameras as a dash cam to watch over our car. Or the ability to use the inside facing camera as a way to watch over whatever we leave in the car.

With the Model 3 I think we need to a be little careful of assuming what EAP will have or what it won't have.

Very true. Most of us will be getting our Model 3 sometime in 2018. By then, who knows what future over the air updates will have been released? So, I think it is guaranteed that our experience with EAP when we pick up our Model 3 will significantly different from what it is now.

Heres my question. The enhanced AP is always talked about in the options. Enhanced. Hence there must be a basic that comes with the car right? What does that do? (This is a serious question not a troll) Basic AP only the breaking and crash avoidance?

The only part of AP that I have any use for is the adaptive cruise control. It's rather frustrating to have to buy additional features that are of limited value, when everything is software configured. Collision avoidance is standard, so we know the required hardware is in operation. Why not an option for just TACC? I'd pay a grand for it. We will be doing almost all of our driving in moderately heavy urban traffic and all the rest of the AP capabilities are not needed.
I prefer the glass half full view:

$5,000 buys me TACC, wonderful safety features, and ongoing Tesla R&D in autonomous driving that I can upgrade to any time I want for another $3-4k USD.

Heres my question. The enhanced AP is always talked about in the options. Enhanced. Hence there must be a basic that comes with the car right? What does that do? (This is a serious question not a troll) Basic AP only the breaking and crash avoidance?
I always felt like they named the basic tier of Hardware 2 AP Enhanced Autopilot to differentiate it from Hardware 1 Autopilot and make people feel better about the rather large price bump.

*edit* As I recall, Tesla typically refers to the AEB and similar basic features as Autopilot Safety Features

Buyers of the Model 3 in general will be more price conscious then Model S/X owners. This helps explain some of the push back on a $5k option for software.
Personally, I think it would make more sense to charge $3k for enhanced autopilot and $5k for FSD. But as an investor not so sure that is a good idea.

Reactions: GSP and Railhawk52