Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Teslas have AVAS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any research showing evidence on how much safer this will be? See below as an example of seat belt research.

Policy Impact: Seat Belts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

Electric cars have been on the streets for some time now.

Adaptive AVAS to improve electric vehicle safety | Government Europa

Some interesting stats in this report...

"No formal statistics are currently available of any serious injuries between these vehicles and pedestrians/bicyclists. By the end of 2017, only two fatal accidents were recorded involving EVs and not one of these involved pedestrians; only drivers or passengers. However, there have been reports of near misses; on one occasion, a blind person was stepping out into a zebra crossing with his white stick, however, an electric car came driving straight past and due to his inability to hear he was nearly knocked over, resulting in the breaking of his stick."

(In Norway I believe).

Also

"a preliminary analysis has showed that the tyre/road noise of this particular EV clearly dominates at 20 km/h, even when the original AVAS is turned on, or if an adaptive AVAS at 50 dB(A) is used. AVAS at this speed and with a low background noise level has no effect on the distance of hearing the car, however the detection distance is always higher than 11 m, due to the audible tyre/road noise. When the background noise level is around 65 dB(A), which is very common in urban traffic situations, and the AVAS level is 60 dB (a typical AVAS level on EVs today), the observed distance of the car is less than 11 m (or 2 seconds) for many of the test persons. This indicates that it would be helpful to increase the level of AVAS with the order of 5 dB under these conditions in order to improve the safety for pedestrians in general."

So it would appear that an AVAS system *may* be of use when the background noise level is above 65 dB(A).

It's an interesting topic for sure.

Slightly related - this is an interesting thesis on the 'evaluation' of the AVAS noises being emitted, and it pays attention to the brand perception of the vehicle as well:

http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/79449/1/WRAP_THESIS_Singh_2016.pdf

I remember seeing that Jaguar were spending time with a few musicians to discuss the tone emitted by their future vehicles, as well as something from Volvo and Nissan too.

Anyway, it's Sunday and I should be doing something else, I'm sure ;p

However, there have been reports of near misses; on one occasion, a blind person was stepping out into a zebra crossing with his white stick, however, an electric car came driving straight past and due to his inability to hear he was nearly knocked over, resulting in the breaking of his stick.
Interesting.
Stopping from 12 mph takes 6 metres, or less than 2 seconds.
For the sound to be useful, he must have been a reckless blind person.
Or maybe EVs don't knock people over any more than ICE:rolleyes:

Interesting.
Stopping from 12 mph takes 6 metres, or less than 2 seconds.
For the sound to be useful, he must have been a reckless blind person.
Or maybe EVs don't knock people over any more than ICE:rolleyes:
Or a reckless driver. I’ve witnessed plenty of drivers and cyclists ignoring pedestrians at crossings. The latter don’t make much noise unless you put a piece of card between your spokes and frame!

Last edited:
I think the new AVAS law only applies to new models from tomorrow (so not Model 3 / S / X), but does Tesla actually fit a low speed noise system?
New rule means electric cars must make noise

Fortunately Tesla does not currently have AVAS. As far as I can see it will only be compulsory from 2021 onwards on all new Teslas sold (regardless of model). I very much doubt it will ever require a retrofit to existing vehicles. Interestingly the article says that the driver will have the ability to switch it off. So might not be a problem.

Interestingly the article says that the driver will have the ability to switch it off. So might not be a problem.
It’s like that on the Kona. The noise operates at less than 20mph, and there is a switch to toggle it off, but that only works until the next time you restart the car.

And, yes, it is a rather strange, spooky, “moaning” sound :rolleyes:

I quite like the idea and seeing a few clips of it in use I do not think is intrusive or annoying in any way. If it saves one serious injury, then it’s for the best.

It might be fun to allow it to be personalised but I think that may be too much effort to ensure that it still meets the regs of being direction specific. That said, I would have thought that fart mode was too much effort, but it still got done.

I quite like the sound of some of the futuristic ones but apparently space ship noises are not good as people would look up - as we all do when a space ship is landing close by.

I've now got visions of futuristic versions of "Dukes of Hazzard" horns being played on loop. (edit)

Well now you mention it. Having a quieter secondary horn noise would be good for pedestrians and cyclists (of which I am both). Again user selected - or just engage fart mode, open the window and as you bounce in your seat in frustration it farts in their general direction :D

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Hope it can be turned off once you are travelling or in traffic.
The noise on our PHEV can be turned off. Not sure if the new law will permit this or not.

Edit; just seen it mentioned in a post above that it will be allowed to be switched off. If you don’t hear it inside the car I don’t see why you’d want to switch it off but each to their own!