Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we know which group gets their Model 3 next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check your MyTesla account - you probably already can order (even if you haven't gotten the invite).

Nope. My Tesla Account page still says:

"Your Model 3 was reserved on 4/1/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ."

And my delivery estimate still says Dec - Feb.

ALL Tesla owners will get their Model 3 Invite before any of the non-owners get theirs.

Tesla owner invites will be in chronological order. Then non-owners, beginning with first day in store orders.

Is this your own psychic prediction, or can you cite a statement from Tesla or a tweet from Elon? Or maybe just wishful thinking? :rolleyes:

The following is from the Tesla website, FAQ. Sounds pretty clear to me.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ
When will I be invited to configure my Model 3, and when can I take delivery?
Model 3 reservation holders are receiving invitations to order and design Model 3 based on the time and date that they placed their reservation. Current Tesla owners have priority as a thank you for their support.

Nope. My Tesla Account page still says:

"Your Model 3 was reserved on 4/1/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ."

And my delivery estimate still says Dec - Feb.

Is this your own psychic prediction, or can you cite a statement from Tesla or a tweet from Elon? Or maybe just wishful thinking? :rolleyes:
I know people who hadn't received the invite but could configure.

115,000 reservations Day 1.
Only 7% of the reservations were from owners. Estimate half of those were from California.
In front of those would be the estimated 5,000-10,000 employee/family orders.
Figure 25% defer for one reason or another, be it AWD, base model, performance model, interior other than black, and so forth.
If 750/week trending toward 1250/week, the employee and CA owner reservations should be filled Q1.
The question becomes how and if Tesla will skew international production to preserve the federal tax credit.
Also would be nice to hear what the “something special” will be from Elon as promised to the 115,000 Day 1 line waiters. Last communication from Tesla was that he has not yet decided.
I think we already know what it is. It's a Premium Textile Headliner. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and TaoJones
> Tesla owner invites will be in chronological order. Then non-owners, beginning with first day in store orders.

Well that's hard to imagine that's correct because I'm a Tesla owner, and was early in the door in Denver (got in line around 6am, ordered 40 minutes after the doors opened) and I haven't got an email yet (and can't configure, I checked) but there are people who ordered well after - some on 4/1 - getting configuration access in California and New York. It's not clear how exactly it's proceeding, but it doesn't appear to be purely based on chronological order. My window is Nov-Jan, so I'm hoping it will be soon.

The following is from the Tesla website, FAQ. Sounds pretty clear to me.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ
When will I be invited to configure my Model 3, and when can I take delivery?
Model 3 reservation holders are receiving invitations to order and design Model 3 based on the time and date that they placed their reservation. Current Tesla owners have priority as a thank you for their support.

Yes, it's very clear. And is clearly not what's happening, since people in CA and now NY and maybe elsewhere have gotten invites before people elsewhere who ordered before them. Location makes a difference, as Tesla has stated elsewhere. And since they're still on Day-1 owners, we don't know if owners will get absolute priority, or just priority within their reservation date, or if Day-1 non-owners in CA will be put ahead of Day-2 owners outside of CA, etc. We also don't know if there's some other arbitrary cut-off date for owner priority, or if an owner who reserves today in Utah will get his car before a non-owner who stood in line in CA on day one. We just know that owners get some sort of priority boost, and we know that location matters.

I know people who hadn't received the invite but could configure.

A very few people found their Tesla Account page had the Configure button before their invite email arrived, probably because of issues with their email or the email system in general.

It's a moot point for me at the moment because I've entered the time period when I cannot order and be certain of being at home when the car is ready. But it probably doesn't matter because with my Day-2 reservation here in Spokane, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts I won't get the invitation in less than a month from now.

We placed our order almost 6 months after Day 1, yet since we are now owners we got the "Delivery Estimator" dates of Nov 2017 - Jan 2018. It may be that CA owners have some priority greater than the rest of the country, but not sure. Oh, Wait!!! we only have to wait two more weeks!!! Shall I start my "HAPPY DANCE" yet?;)

It seems delivery centers are pretty full in CA. This would imply that Tesla cannot deliver vehicles any faster in CA than they are now. If Tesla decided to start deliveries to the rest of the country to allow an increase in total deliveries, this would explain why some CA owners haven't configured or received their invites yet.

If the above it true and a specific state's owners have all received their vehicles, would Tesla start inviting non-owners in that state before owners in other states have received their invites? I'd think that Tesla wants to delivery as many vehicles as fast as possible, this may be the way to do it. Instead of the "state" distinction, it may be down to the "delivery center" for those states with multiple delivery centers.

I'm in Western WA and I suspect there are a lot of existing owners that could easily overwhelm the delivery center based on the number of Tesla vehicles running around.

PS: This is all speculation on my part.

The next type of reservation, California non owner line waiter is probably the biggest bucket of people so far.

So I am not sure they can handle just sending them all out invitations, so it stands to reason that they'll send out a big chunk, then a couple weeks later, send them out to a different region of non owners.

ALL Tesla owners will get their Model 3 Invite before any of the non-owners get theirs.

Tesla owner invites will be in chronological order. Then non-owners, beginning with first day in store orders.

These are assumptions.

I stopped by the Rocklin, CA Tesla store today. I was driving my 1972 BMW 2002 and one of the employees was walking out to go home as I pulled up. He really liked the car, so we struck up a conversation. Some of the things he said:

He said that many employees (including him) have not been invited to configure yet. He gave me the impression that Tesla only invited a percentage of them in order to move forward with non-employee invites. This obviously breaks the whole assumed priority sequence.

He very clearly and confidently stated (and restated after I asked him to clarify) that the next batch of invites would be open to all (including non-owners).

And an interesting bit... he said the Rocklin store currently has 50ish Model 3s, and the highest VIN he personally saw was just over 5000.

You will probably know tomorrow, 18th January, as the invites so far have been send out in 2 weeks intervals (last invite 4th January).

I believe all owners with get invite before non-owners.

But, both should receive invite in this next around. According to the spreadsheet here on TMC almost all owners already have gotten their invite.

We will have to wait and see :)

These are assumptions.

I stopped by the Rocklin, CA Tesla store today. I was driving my 1972 BMW 2002 and one of the employees was walking out to go home as I pulled up. He really liked the car, so we struck up a conversation. Some of the things he said:

He said that many employees (including him) have not been invited to configure yet. He gave me the impression that Tesla only invited a percentage of them in order to move forward with non-employee invites. This obviously breaks the whole assumed priority sequence.

He very clearly and confidently stated (and restated after I asked him to clarify) that the next batch of invites would be open to all (including non-owners).

And an interesting bit... he said the Rocklin store currently has 50ish Model 3s, and the highest VIN he personally saw was just over 5000.

Did he say that he wanted the first-production car? If he specified on his Tesla Account page that he wanted the short-range version or the dual-motor AWD version, that would explain his not having gotten his invite yet.

Or, if he did not place his reservation when employees were originally offered the opportunity, Tesla might prioritize owners who waited in line above employees who ordered months later. The above post has too little information. We still don't really know anything.

You will probably know tomorrow, 18th January, as the invites so far have been send out in 2 weeks intervals (last invite 4th January).

I believe all owners with get invite before non-owners.

But, both should receive invite in this next around. According to the spreadsheet here on TMC almost all owners already have gotten their invite.

We will have to wait and see :)

Note that the spreadsheet only includes those people who have chosen to participate in the spreadsheet. I should think that all owners who waited in line in CA will be invited before non-owners. Beyond that we don't really know anything. It's encouraging that past behavior suggests another batch of invitations should go out this week.

Did he say that he wanted the first-production car?

Yes. He seemed to be well aware of how that worked.

Or, if he did not place his reservation when employees were originally offered the opportunity, Tesla might prioritize owners who waited in line above employees who ordered months later.

This was exactly my point. Not *all* employees were prioritized over all owners. Tesla may do the same with owners vs non-owners.