Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we trust Tesla with our cars/data??!!

Do we trust Tesla to have unlimited access to our cars...

• Yes

Votes: 46 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 42 32.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always been asked to disable P2D when I've gone to a service centre, but I've heard of other people saying that they've turned up and Tesla have just driven the car anyway.
I recently booked an SC service visit to change filters/check brake fluid etc at 2 years.

Sitting in the reception area (10 mins early) I was told that disabling P2D was unnecessary & sure enough at the time my appointment was due I noticed the car being driven round to the workshop.

35 minutes later the Tech went through everything he had done, told me the temporary PIN now on the car and that it would default to my original within a short distance of leaving.

I parked at home ten minutes later & then pressed the brake which initiated the P2D keypad - the original PIN was indeed back.

I had a different experience of SC P2D - after 4 months of waiting for Autoglass to replace my windscreen I resorted to asking Tesla Winchester to replace it instead. requested service on Friday 20th May and chose Tuesday 24th May at 2pm for an appointment. A local car transporter company took the car to Winchester for me. I had removed my P2D to allow the transporter guy to drive the car on and off his flatbed - I gave him a keycard.
Next day Winchester tells me the car's ready for collection but there's a new P2D on it and they won't tell me the code until I pay for the glass.
Paid for the glass and they tell me the new P2D. I got a lift there and used the new P2D to 'start ' the car and get home but when I got home the new P2D was stuck on. Found out you needed to use "lost PIN" to reset it to my own P2D again.

Dunno if my original P2D would have returned if I had not removed it before the Service??

I'll find out next week - my B pillar trim has become unclipped and I can't get it to clip back into place.
I have a (zero-cost) Winchester Service appointment next Tuesday at 2pm to get it refitted properly.

That's my experience with the "temporary" P2D as well. In my case, as it was warranty work and hence no cost, they just told me the new P2D and that my original P2D would reset after I left. It didn't. I had to use the "lost PIN" method to reset it.

I guess it's more a philosophical issue... we don't fully *own* things anymore, we pay for the right to use them. And, as with all connected objects, we have to accept that the company that owns/control the central server your car is 24/7 connected to will retain full control on it...
People who don't like it should return to flip phones and 90's vehicles...

Certainly don’t trust anything Tesla say or promise, but I accept the way in which they operate their servicing which when they have the parts has been good.

Short of blocking the signal on the sim, I doubt there is much you can do to stop the remote access, even then there maybe some Bluetooth over ride options.

With a token your car can be located, unlocked, and driven even if remote start is disabled (seems to be a bug according to the facebook group) and pin to drive is on. A token is something Tesla manage. I guess they could do it in a way where they had no control over it (the car issues the token and authenticates it with a private/public key only you and the car know, and that would be dandy until someone locked themselves out of the car and there was no way for Tesla to address. I'm less worried about Tesla, I'm more concerned with how many people sign up to Teslafi or one of the other apps without thinking.

That's why I chose TeslaMate running on a RPi4 that sits within my private network. And to be honest, I rarely look at the stats it shows, so I may as well decommission it.

With a token your car can be located, unlocked, and driven even if remote start is disabled (seems to be a bug according to the facebook group) and pin to drive is on. A token is something Tesla manage. I guess they could do it in a way where they had no control over it (the car issues the token and authenticates it with a private/public key only you and the car know, and that would be dandy until someone locked themselves out of the car and there was no way for Tesla to address. I'm less worried about Tesla, I'm more concerned with how many people sign up to Teslafi or one of the other apps without thinking.

Well a token is something the authentication algorithm generates in response to a successful client handshake / auth, and then is used to access API services from the client. Tokens are generally regularly refreshed in the background eg the api may require a token to have validity in the last 5 mins.

So less something Tesla manage and more a standard approach to authentication

Well a token is something the authentication algorithm generates in response to a successful client handshake / auth, and then is used to access API services from the client. Tokens are generally regularly refreshed in the background eg the api may require a token to have validity in the last 5 mins.

So less something Tesla manage and more a standard approach to authentication
Tesla issue a token that never expires (I think technically it has a 2 year expiry) unless you change your password. Once issued you can share, use on any 3rd party app etc and as the owner of the car you’ve no way of tracking its use.

Cripes, that's ridiculous if accurate. A lot of systems issue tokens that last about a week!
Tesla issue a refresh token that doesn't expire and a normal use api token that does quite quickly as you suggest, the problem is the refresh token can generate a new api token via one extra step, so all these websites/apps etc like teslamate, teslafi etc use the refresh token to just keep creating new api tokens whenever they need them making the expiry pretty pointless

Tesla issue a refresh token that doesn't expire and a normal use api token that does quite quickly as you suggest, the problem is the refresh token can generate a new api token via one extra step, so all these websites/apps etc like teslamate, teslafi etc use the refresh token to just keep creating new api tokens whenever they need them making the expiry pretty pointless

Sounds like you know (what I'm guessing is) OAuth much better than me :)