Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret buying (or not buying) FSD?

If Tesla offered your money back for the FSD package, would you take it?

• Yes, I would take my money back if offered.

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • No, I am happy I bought the FSD package.

Votes: 118 38.1%
  • I did not buy FSD and I still would not, even if the price were reduced to $3,000.

Votes: 88 28.4%
  • I did not buy FSD but I'd buy it today if Tesla reduced the price back to $3,000.

Votes: 60 19.4%
  • Other. Explain in your post.

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
For those who have paid for FSD, do you regret your decision? If Tesla offered to refund your money and treat your car as plain EAP would you take the money?

For those who did not buy FSD at the time of purchase, do you wish you had taken advantage of the lower price? If Tesla gave you a week now to buy the FSD package for what it would have cost when you bought the car (considering that we still don't know what features that package will actually include, or when they will come, or whether true full self-driving will come to this car or not) would you buy the package now?

To answer my own questions: I did not buy FSD. I would not buy it now even if they lowered the price back to the $3,000 it was when I ordered my car. But I might buy it in the future if it reaches level 3 (eyes off the road) on a wide enough range of road types. I'll buy features that are available, if I like them enough. I won't pay for features that are hoped for in the future.

If I've done this right, the poll will remain open indefinitely and you can change your choice at any time. (Unless TMC has a maximum time for polls to remain open.) Answers are private. You can identify yourself in the responses if you like.

It's too early to tell.

I bought it because I was confident that what I'd get out of it would be worth the $3K. Where it wouldn't be full self driving, but it would be something.

Right now I'm a bit frustrated with Elon/Tesla because they haven't told us what the plan is. A single tweet from Elon isn't good enough. We need clear communication from Tesla on what's happening with the FSD package.

Until we get that communication I can't say if I'm happy with my decision, or if I regret my decision. I can't say if I'd take a refund or not.

All I know is I don't know anything.

I imagine it's going to be a couple weeks before Elon/Tesla lets us know. The worst part about Tesla ownership is having to be a patient grasshopper.

I did not pre-purchase FSD. That being said, I think most folks who didn't purchase FSD falls into these two groups:

#1. Never planned to get FSD nor will once it's released, if ever.
#2. Wait and see approach once FSD is released, decide whether to pay.

For me personally, for FSD, the variations and delta of pricing is negligible in my decision previously and most likely my decision in the future if and FSD becomes a reality. Unless the price for current Model 3 owners jumps to some obscene number (i.e. $10,000) for those who didn't pre-purchase earlier, I'm game if it and when FSD is released.

Reactions: DrDabbles
It's too early to tell.

I bought it because I was confident that what I'd get out of it would be worth the $3K. Where it wouldn't be full self driving, but it would be something.

Right now I'm a bit frustrated with Elon/Tesla because they haven't told us what the plan is. A single tweet from Elon isn't good enough. We need clear communication from Tesla on what's happening with the FSD package.

Until we get that communication I can't say if I'm happy with my decision, or if I regret my decision. I can't say if I'd take a refund or not.

All I know is I don't know anything.

I imagine it's going to be a couple weeks before Elon/Tesla lets us know. The worst part about Tesla ownership is having to be a patient grasshopper.
Ditto!

Buying it to begin with means that you don't have to worry about anything, it will just arrive.
It also rolls into financing, so that you don't have to make a bit outlay in the future.
This. Also ordered it on a new 3 a week ago (lol) which still has it on the list (contrary to some people’s reports of recent sales) and I expect it to remain as it was ordered before the 10/15 cutoff and any changes to the FSD policy.

What I haven’t seen is: has all mention of “FSD gets you the extra four cameras” that was the gospel for years as of course now every 2.x car is using all of them for blind spot and other applications evaporated everywhere on the Tesla website? I’ve not had the time to read all the marketing content recently to see how it’s been updated.

I do still expect other “super (meaning above) EAP features” to appear as we were promised before “technical” Full autonomy does actually work for those of us that purchased FSD. That may take a decade, who knows.

Unless they are going to refund each and every one of us the cash price (plus interest?)....

I didn't buy it initially because if the car gets wrecked anytime soon that money has been lit on fire, and Tesla's track record on releasing functionality in a timely manner is the stuff of legend already.
Currently, it's super unclear to me whether FSD is providing anything to anyone over/above what I'm getting from EAP.
(Hell, it's not even clear to me what EAP is giving me vs someone without EAP.)
But if when FSD exists, is reliable, and offers features that I value relative to EAP, I'll take a look at the price relative to the remaining useful life of the car and happily pay whatever the rack rate is at that time. Or not. It's a value determination that I simply can't make yet.

To me, I expect that FSD will be worth having once I can dispatch my car in a driverless fashion to go places. (Go get my pizza. Go to my wife who is at a friend's house so she can hop in and drive herself home. Go offer yourself to a paying customer as part of the Tesla Network. etc.) Until then, I like driving too much to expect to gain value from having FSD.

Reactions: Dorkiedoode and GSP
I choose other. I called and tried to pay them another 3k but they wouldn’t take it. I know I had it in my account at one point, but figured maybe if I bought it again it then I would be good to go. I guess I’ll have to wait and see my credit card statement to make sure I have double FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I didn’t buy it and I don’t regret it. Not cause it wouldn’t be cool but here’s why.

I live in Canada and we don’t even have summon. Reason is government won’t let it for some stupid reason or another. I figure by the time FSD gets passed I’ll have bought my next Tesla. Government seems to love the speed of molasses and probably won’t pass crap in the near future. Buying it now in my opinion is a waste of money. Not cause tesla can’t do it, but cause they’ll get cockblocked by the government.

I bought it just because I figured that it would cost a lot more later.

If the new graphics board comes out in the next 6 months to a year, then it will have been worth it. If it goes longer than a year than not so much.

The other thing that is unknown is when will the Model Y go into production, because I plan on selling the 3 at that time and buying a Y.

Thanks for all the replies. To those who said "Too early to decide," please note that the poll asks, if they offered you your money back today, would you take it?; and if they reduced the price for the next week, would you buy it?

But in any case, thanks for participating in the poll. Keep the replies coming.