Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a Tesla Wall Connector?

Which of these do you use in your garage?

• Tesla Wall Connector

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • NEMA 14-50 outlet

Votes: 43 35.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's only 3 hours to charge real fast!

Since you have Gen1 mobile connector, the fastest it can do is 29 mph for NEMA 14-50 while HPWC can do 34 mph so the difference is 5 mph x 3 hours = 15 mile advantage.

mq5a5k1.jpg

I have a new Gen 2 CMC now. Until the electrician comes out to test the outlet this weekend, I'm just running at 30A.

In any moderately populated corner of the developed world in 2019, leaving the J1772 adapter in the car is more than enough security. My UMC has been unplugged from the wall to ride along with me less than 10 times in 2 years.

The HPWC is great, but I already had a 14-50 from a previous EV and have never found "it looks cool" or the extra 8 amps of charging speed to be worth the $500.
To each their own, but it only takes one unexpected event where you need to plug in and don't have your UMC and the cost and hassle makes the cost worth the difference IMO.

It also depends on where you travel.

Can't vote because we use both. One car on HWPC 100A and one car on NEMA 14-50 50A using 40A mobile connector. HPWC provides 48A to its usual car, but occasionally charges the other car at 80A. Will be installing a second HPWC to share the 100A, whenever I get to it (probably summer). Will leave the NEMA 14-50 where it is as backup (the other car has a NEMA 14-50 backup too, which actually came really handy last summer when we got a new Model S and it turned out not to be compatible with the Gen1 HPWC, so until I found time to swap out the HPWC that car was charging from NEMA 14-50. If you only have an HPWC, you're in a bind when it dies or Tesla rolls out something new which makes in incompatible.

It will soon be 6 years since my first MS (Oct. 2013). The condo where I live in Seattle allows me a 20A 110V outlet that gets me 6 mi/hr. I've never had a problem, as even starting with only 30 - 40 miles 'in the tank', I have well over 100 by next morning (12hrs.x 6). After nearly 3 years and 35K miles on "GASKIKR" (probably 15x at a supercharger) I still get 96% with a full charge. Would I like L2 charge capability? Yeah, I guess so, but in all honesty, I haven't missed it . . . and I think my battery is happy with 'slow and easy'.

When I first got my car I used the portable cable that came with the vehicle and just plugged it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet I had installed in my garage w/50A breaker box. Then I finally got an HPWC and plugged it into that same outlet. For me not much difference, kinda like comparing a garden hose loose on the ground vs a wall-mounted hose reel, with the end result being the same. But with the HPWC I just get to grab a neatly hung charge handle every time instead of lifting one off the floor, plus it sure looks snazzy...

When I first got my car I used the portable cable that came with the vehicle and just plugged it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet I had installed in my garage w/50A breaker box. Then I finally got an HPWC and plugged it into that same outlet. For me not much difference, kinda like comparing a garden hose loose on the ground vs a wall-mounted hose reel, with the end result being the same. But with the HPWC I just get to grab a neatly hung charge handle every time instead of lifting one off the floor, plus it sure looks snazzy...

ditto, only thing different for me is I left the 50amp plug I had installed as is and had another dedicated 50amp run for my wall connector so I have an easy fallback should the wall connector someday fail me.

For me, that would mean having to unplug it, coil it up and stow in the trunk, uncoil at home to pug back in to wall and then car, etc... every day. A lot of work, and I suspect the wear and tear will show itself at some point.
The receptacle is good for about 300-350 cycles before it needs to be checked for wear. I unplug it less than ten times a year. If you had to unplug it every day, that would be different. The only times I drive far enough to warrant carrying it is on trips. Typically a day's drive is 50-70 miles, so there's zero point in carrying it around.

Single charger 70D. 70k miles.
Put my mobile in the car to charge on trips but not day to day. The mobile is good for vacation house charging. 120V or Nema 14-50 at our vacation house.
I think the idea that you need to only leave the house with the mobile cord is either paranoid or 2012. If I have an unexpected trip - a health emergency or something - I would go to a supercharger as it charges the fastest.
That being said, if I were to put a wall charger in - and I have considered it - I would probably leave the mobile connector in the car.

The receptacle is good for about 300-350 cycles before it needs to be checked for wear. I unplug it less than ten times a year. If you had to unplug it every day, that would be different. The only times I drive far enough to warrant carrying it is on trips. Typically a day's drive is 50-70 miles, so there's zero point in carrying it around.
Did the same for years. Unplugged once in 6 years for a coast to coast trip (only used it at the final destination, where I had a NEMA 14-50 ready for me in the garage) - would have been twice as recently had to leave my car at the airport for a bit with temps dropping quiet a bit, so decided to use the 120V outlets available for EV's, but took a UMC from my wife's car instead (she has an HPWC in the garage so doesn't need the UMC).

Tesla wall charger on a dedicated 60 amp circuit. 45 miles of range per hour of charge. UMC stays in the trunk and I have yet to use it. That said, I had a Volt for 5 years before my Model 3 and charged on a regular old 110 circuit. Got about 3-4 miles of range per hour...BUT that was plenty because my average daily commute was only about 20 miles per day. Easily fully charged by morning.

Bottom line...to each his/her own.

Dan

I bought the TWC and 36 ft of #6 wire from Home Depot and a 60 Amp breaker for $250. My wire run was just over the ceiling of the garage from one side to the other. Took about 3 hours to install and worked first time. Charges at 48 Amps and my commute to work is 40 miles round trip so it now takes just 1 hour to fully charge my Model 3. Got quotes from electrical contractors and they wanted thousands of dollars to do the work so I did it myself.

I use a HPWC for my Tesla Model S at 32 Amps charging rate (because the breaker is a 40 amp breaker and the wire is 8 gauge which only supports 40 amps), and a 6-50 for the Model 3 using the second Gen portable cable with the 6-50 adapter that I purchased from Tesla.

The only reason I use the HPWC is that I got it for free as part of the referral program.

I have never had any issues with not being able to charge enough at night with the 8 kW charging speed on the 75D Model S or LR AWD Model 3. I have 50k miles on the S, and have owned it for two years.

But now that there is a super charger 2 miles from my house, if I need to drive a long distance, I could charge there quickly before departing.

I bought the TWC and 36 ft of #6 wire from Home Depot and a 60 Amp breaker for $250.
My wire run was just over the ceiling of the garage from one side to the other.
Took about 3 hours to install and worked first time.

Charges at 48 Amps and my commute to work is 40 miles round trip so it now takes just 1 hour to fully charge my Model 3.
Got quotes from electrical contractors and they wanted thousands of dollars to do the work so I did it myself.
I would be interested to get more detail information or pictures about you 'elegant' solution.
I park in a garage, and I am always worrisome about someone walking around my car at night and steeping on the cord and failing down.