Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodged a bullet today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's too bad the cop didn't look at his rear mirror to see the guy running the red.

The cop went by a few seconds before your light turned green.

Around here you pretty much always have to wait for red light runners. It's not so much people going straight, but people turning left. For some reason people turning left assume they can run a red even 3-4 seconds after it turned red.

Reactions: TheLocNar
It's too bad the cop didn't look at his rear mirror to see the guy running the red.

The cop went by a few seconds before your light turned green.

Around here you pretty much always have to wait for red light runners. It's not so much people going straight, but people turning left. For some reason people turning left assume they can run a red even 3-4 seconds after it turned red.

Speaking to people doing a left at/during the start of the red. That's a standard maneuver, otherwise there is no way to turn left at a busy intersection with no left arrow. If the first car is slow or the last straight car was late, the second car that queued in the intersection would fall into that timing.
YMMV
Vehicles can turn left after signal turns red if already in the intersection

Reactions: SSonnentag
Speaking to people doing a left at/during the start of the red. That's a standard maneuver, otherwise there is no way to turn left at a busy intersection with no left arrow. If the first car is slow or the last straight car was late, the second car that queued in the intersection would fall into that timing.
YMMV

That law varies by state. It is legal in California and Michigan but not in all states. It is illegal in Colorado that I know of (although don't know how strictly it is enforced).

Based on video time, the truck entered the intersection ~4 seconds after the light changed for the OP, which was likely a second or so after the light turned red for the truck, which was some time after the light turned yellow for the truck...
That's way beyond orange.
What kind of crazy place do you live in that has light changes like that? Here the standard for a small intersection is 3 seconds between lights turning red, and then the next set turning green. The time is greater for some larger intersection.

(But yes, I look before going. I live somewhere with light traffic, so I rarely have to command the intersection.)

What kind of crazy place do you live in that has light changes like that? Here the standard for a small intersection is 3 seconds between lights turning red, and then the next set turning green. The time is greater for some larger intersection.

(But yes, I look before going. I live somewhere with light traffic, so I rarely have to command the intersection.)

This is a pretty big and busy intersection just east of the major toll road. The guy had plenty of time to stop. He just didn't care. Couldn't see from the video, but he looked right at me and smiled as I laid on the horn.

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155

I was being conservative in my assumptions since any longer delay between cycles only makes it more blatant.

YMMV

To clarify I was talking about cars not yet at the intersection. Hence the 3-4 sec after the light turned red.

I should have mentioned the left arrow bit as that's important. The people that annoy me are the ones that run the red turning a left despite the existence of the left turn arrow.

To me the existence of the left arrow means you have to treat it just as if you were going straight. I could even give allowance for people at the intersection that got caught up by a slow car.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
YMMV

There’s a world of difference between someone doing as you suggest and people piling on and continuing to run through the red long after people in the other direction are clear to go.

More often than not this happens at intersections that start with a green arrow then go to a regular green.

It’s about as disrespectful to other motorists as people that pile through and completely block an intersection so nobody else can make it through.

Heathens.

One of my coworker's kids is down taking his tests to be a UPS driver for the holidays. One of the things they require on the driving test was to count to 3 after a green before proceeding into the intersection. Probably good advice for anyone.
This doesn't help if somebody comes through at second four. I'm thinking it is probably best to actually look at all approaches before entering the intersection, regardless of when you begin moving. Setting some arbitrary time delay before moving may make some folks feel better about being "safer" but I'd rather actually be safer.

Based on video time, the truck entered the intersection ~4 seconds after the light changed for the OP, which was likely a second or so after the light turned red for the truck, which was some time after the light turned yellow for the truck...
That's way beyond orange.
The narrow FOV makes it overly dramatic. Drama queen.