Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While all of this is true, I think Tesla made a bit of a user interface mistake by displaying charge in “rated miles” rather than percentage on the dashboard. The rated charge figure can be misleading for people who don’t understand how EVs work, and that the energy per mile can vary by as much as 2-3x depending on weather, grade, etc., so your “200 miles to empty” range might really only be 100 or 65 miles. I think it would be less confusing if it was always shown in percent, or if it showed the “effective range” based on the last 15-30 miles (the way the energy app on the main screen does).

This is exactly why we need Tesla to create a route aware miles remaining estimate. If you’re making any long trip, you plug in the destination and Tesla uses map data for grade and elevation, and weather forecasts along the route to more accurately predict the miles remaining. For little trips around town or your commute, when you’re less apt to use navigation, the estimates won’t be as accurate, but that’s when range isn’t a concern. No reason why Tesla can’t implement this technology.

Yep, I know about that. But it’s not the default, and I think by having it display rated miles by default, new owners are lulled into a false sense of security about their available range. If it displayed percent by default, it would at least not be making a misleading statement (sort of like how Apple stopped displaying “time remaining” in the battery menu in OS X...it was wrong often enough that it just confused people).
It will default if you associate with your user profile. You have to make some effort to learn the options of the car. Everyone has their own preferences. I like mine defaulted to rated range.

Reactions: WINGIT
This is exactly why we need Tesla to create a route aware miles remaining estimate. If you’re making any long trip, you plug in the destination and Tesla uses map data for grade and elevation, and weather forecasts along the route to more accurately predict the miles remaining. For little trips around town or your commute, when you’re less apt to use navigation, the estimates won’t be as accurate, but that’s when range isn’t a concern. No reason why Tesla can’t implement this technology.

It does do this, it just does it very poorly.

Yep, I know about that. But it’s not the default, and I think by having it display rated miles by default, new owners are lulled into a false sense of security about their available range. If it displayed percent by default, it would at least not be making a misleading statement (sort of like how Apple stopped displaying “time remaining” in the battery menu in OS X...it was wrong often enough that it just confused people).

Doesn't the meter eventually adjust during the trip? It's not like it will show 100 miles of range left when there's nothing. My BMW i3 has a very dynamic and exacting range meter and it can be very spooky, especially for a new owner of the car. The range on it is 80 to 100 miles, depending on how you're driving, however, in the winter when the battery is cold, the meter will show 50 miles at 100% charge. As you drive and the battery warms (especially if you're not going 65+ on the highway) the meter starts to gain miles. My first winter experience with this was on a 40 mile round trip. I kind of freaked-out when the car only reported 50 miles. When I arrived at the destination 20 miles away, the meter still said 50ish miles. It actually started to gain miles and went-up to 60 at one point before it started to drop.

I guess BMW decided to go this route because the battery is so small, they didn't want to give too much sense of security. With Teslas, having much more range, I think they implemented their system correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and bhzmark
A couple of thoughts:

1. I bought a Model S 5 years ago and have had no regrets as not only my primary, but only car. 100,000 miles including lots of vacation road trips. It's been a joy to drive and road trip in.
  2. A buddy of mine, who had never driven an EV in his life, was asked to drive a Model X 75D from Toronto to Florida for a friend. I gave him a quick crash course and he was off. When he returned, he said the trip went off without a hitch, the car was easy to drive and charge and that he could see himself in one some day.
  3. I have a Model X 100D on order and expect to receive it next week. My Model S has been sold and the X will be my primary/only vehicle. Not worried at all.

I have slightly different opinion.

I've driven X 75D for 5,000 miles and did 500 miles road trip. Also I used to drive my car to nearby mountain ski area which takes 200 miles (round trip)
While there is NO range anxiety, there IS range "bothersome". - you should take a rest (eat or buy food, toilet break) near supercharger if you want to optimize your trip plan.
.... well, If I bought 100D, my story could be different.

Beside of that, I have no complaint. I think purchasing X was a perfect decision.

Reactions: MXn00b and PrGrPa
Doesn't the meter eventually adjust during the trip? It's not like it will show 100 miles of range left when there's nothing. My BMW i3 has a very dynamic and exacting range meter and it can be very spooky, especially for a new owner of the car. The range on it is 80 to 100 miles, depending on how you're driving, however, in the winter when the battery is cold, the meter will show 50 miles at 100% charge. As you drive and the battery warms (especially if you're not going 65+ on the highway) the meter starts to gain miles. My first winter experience with this was on a 40 mile round trip. I kind of freaked-out when the car only reported 50 miles. When I arrived at the destination 20 miles away, the meter still said 50ish miles. It actually started to gain miles and went-up to 60 at one point before it started to drop.

I guess BMW decided to go this route because the battery is so small, they didn't want to give too much sense of security. With Teslas, having much more range, I think they implemented their system correctly.
The trip planner continuously adjusts percent remaining when you reach destination based on current power consumption observations. It just doesn't show as part of the instrument console. If the miles remaining distracts you from the trip planner, then default setting to percent remaining vs. miles. That way you will only refer to the trip planner for accurate remaining percentage to reach destination. Not sure how this is poorly executed or inconvenient. But to each his own.

The trip planner can show you both charge on arrival, and charge after round trip to destination. Both take into account elevation changes when destination is selected. That's a partially accurate projection. It's very accurate if the weather is 72 degrees and you drive the way the Tesla expects normal people to drive.

Once you're on the road, it will then take into account weather and driving style but not explicitly. What it does is take your existing usage rate (which is effectively your avg kwhr for the last X mins) and extrapolate that to the rest of the drive. Start driving really fast in cold weather and the projection will change drastically.

I have a slightly differing opinion. Had a 90D MS and then a P100D MS and as of last week a 100D MX. I have over 2.5 yrs of MS experience to go on.

Off the bat I can say the MX is a tech and engineering marvel! Love the auto open close doors and the windshield, the 6 seats, the more expansive audio experience and believe it or not the door pockets and vanity mirror lol.

What I will say about the overall experience so far is somewhat neutral given below:

1. The MX is louder with road and wind noise than the MS. Seems like hardly any sound insulation used.
2. The suspension doesn’t absorb as much as in MS. Likely same shocks with 1000lbs more weight. Much more bumps make it into the cabin.
3. The FWD are already acting up and failing to open even when set to always open fully. They are also a bit of a nuisance as my kids actually think they are too slow to open/close rather than just a normal door.
4. I miss having an open sunroof.

S drives like a car. X feels heavier.

However once again, really love the space and the tech. Wish the rear doors were basically identical auto open/close front doors. Overall happy but will be purchasing another MS one day as I also enjoy low to the ground!

• Informative
Reactions: modamoda
I have grandkids and having the 7 seat would be great. I have 5. I like either the 5 or 7 because the seats fold flat enabling bigger cargo or even a sleeping mattress. I’m a camper. Real happy with the 5 except for family gatherings. I think the 7 seat is cheaper than 6. More flexible. I bought inventory and saved about 7K (had 1K on ODO). Add the 3K upcharge for custom order 7 seat and 10 K+ difference. Simply had to draw line on $ so went with 5 seat. IF I custom ordered I would spend $3K for the 7. But 10 K too much.

I went the other direction, for almost exactly the reverse reason. I test drove the things while my parents were visiting, and they complained about the lack of grab handles, so I got the six-seater with the center console, to serve as an armrest. :)

Do you have an evidence to support this? You really think it’s taking into account weather forecasts along your route? Or even elevation gain? I’d doubt that

I missed the "weather" part of your original sentence, which read "If you’re making any long trip, you plug in the destination and Tesla uses map data for grade and elevation, and weather forecasts". Supposedly the car does take into account driving speed and elevation:

upload_2018-3-24_22-28-44.png

However this it does so poorly that I've been meaning to write my own software to do it in my copious spare time. Trouble is, it's hardly worth it since once you have experience with your routes you know what you can do and can't do. I have often arrived at my destinations within 5km of my calculated remaining range after making the trip once or twice to learn how it goes.

To be honest I have 2 big concerns that are stopping me

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that

The range anxiety you can solve by planning your route and being conservative on "charge remaining at destination" a 20% setting is more than enough. The FWD doors will draw attention, I don't like attention myself and I'm learning to deal with it, I guess I wasn't expecting how rare it is to see the doors opening up. The other day a guy approached me as he had just placed his order for a MX100 amd we had a nice chat but attention nevertheless point being Tesla owners will look and others will look more, it's a beautiful car and looks crazy awesome with the doors up. Be ready for that, wouldn't want you to regret getting it.

Reactions: bell2041
I think the Model X is like the best and worst car I have had.

The good
#1 It drives very well, from power to handling. For a big SUV, you can't beat the package
#2 Autopilot, saved me many times and I feel more refresh when i get home and work
#3 OTA update. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but it is like getting a new shiny toy every month.
#4 The automatic doors!!!
#5 Infotainment unit

The bad
#1 Quality control sucks, many little problems
#2 Reliability. It goes into shop on average 1 week out of every month I owned it
#3 The price tag
#4 The size of the vehicle

Since I ordered a 75D and I drive aggressive, the car is essentially a 150 miles car for me. Even though I don't need the 100D, but I really wish I have a 100D for the one trip I take every month. Still, 16K is a lot of money. I can buy a spare Model 3 almost for that price...

Oh yeah, I would still get one if I lose this.