Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone actually use Smart Summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice that for a company that rants about how they are a software company and they are really selling software cars, they aren't really that good at software? I mean they can't even get Spotify to work right while everyone else can.... Forget rain sensing wipers, or auto high beams, and now you want it to drive itself?? Com'on man!

Reactions: TomB985
Anyone notice that for a company that rants about how they are a software company and they are really selling software cars, they aren't really that good at software? I mean they can't even get Spotify to work right while everyone else can.... Forget rain sensing wipers, or auto high beams, and now you want it to drive itself?? Com'on man!

You're not wrong. I think we are driving the best car on the road for a number of reasons, but the software could use some work.

I actually forgot I probably have Smart Summon. That's how much it's mattered to me. Regular Summon would actually be more useful to me, but I haven't used that either beyond the first week where I showed it to coworkers.

For very good reason (parking lots are treated as public roads here), use of Smart Summon has been disallowed where I live. All it took was one video of a Model 3 doing the common thing of driving on the wrong side of the road (in parking lot) during a Smart Summon session, and the provincial insurer stepped in to remind us that driverless cars are not yet legal and this is a perfect example of why they're not allowing it. Completely fair, completely justified.

The fan reaction is "but you have to let it mess up to get better, just like a new driver!", but I'm pretty sure I (or anyone else) never drove so inconsiderately in a parking lot at any time during my learner's permit. But over 2 months later, to this day, I'm sure Smart Summon is more or less the same and hasn't "learned" anything despite being able to "learn" from tens of thousands of cars, whereas each new driver more or less needs to be told just once to drive on the correct side of the road.

We're a long way away.

Smart Summon is a cool party trick when it works, but makes you look incredibly stupid when it doesn't. Last time I used it, the car decided to stop in the middle of a (parking lot) intersection at an angle that manged to block people in both directions. I've given up on it. Sounds like it hasn't gotten any better.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler