Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone plan to road trip for the Aug 21st eclipse? Could be a major test for the network.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An estimated 200 million people living within a day's drive of the path. If there was ever a reason to road trip, this is it.

I plan to drive from Chicago to Columbia, Missouri. The supercharger there is in the path of totality. I hope 1000 other owners don't have the same idea.

There are a few other threads on this already. But here's what I posted on a friend's facebook account:

It's a mixed bag... but if you do the math with some conservative assumptions.. Assume the path of totality is 3000 miles long and 70 miles wide. That's 210,000 square miles of space one can see the total eclipse. Let's say that 25% of the population is actually interested in seeing the total eclipse. Of those 25% are able to take the time from work (it's a Monday), and of those, 25% are able to travel into the totality zone. That's about 6 million people spread across 210,000 square miles, or 30 people per square mile. Sure, some of those sq. miles are mountains and rivers, but the magnitude is about the same. And sure, there will be plenty of hotspots and crowded popular areas, but 210,000 sq miles is A LOT of space.

I booked an AirBnb just a few minutes off the center line of totality a couple of weeks ago in the middle of S.C. There are lots of areas away from the popular spots with just as good a view as anywhere else. I'm not too concerned about the supercharger network. Sure, there will be a few busy spots, but the event is spread over such a huge area, I don't think it's going to be the crushing madness a lot of people are hyping up.

Reactions: cbotnyse
I'm leaving MA on the 18th, and gonna just drive W or SW while checking the weather. I'll go as far as WY if I need to, looking at MO or NE. I just want to find a small town somewhere, should be no problem.
I took the whole week of the 21st off so I can take my time on the way home. Camping configuration, so no tubas!

And no, I don't expect any charging issues.

Reactions: David29
We are taking a Road Trip to the 2017 USA West Square Dance Convention in Rock Springs, WY August 17-19. We will leave Rock Springs to drive back to San Diego late Saturday night. We will be home in San Diego Monday morning to view the approx. 60% coverage that San Diego will have.

On our recent cross-country trip we were the only Tesla at almost every Supercharger. Only one (Oklahoma City) had someone there when we got there. They left before we did. At about 5 superchargers one other Tesla drove up while we were there. Never more than one.

As I see it, the worst that could happen would be a very few of the Superchargers will look like they are in California with all stations used and a couple of cars that have to wait a few minutes for a stall to open up. Just like Y2K, a big nothing. I think that cloud cover will cause more concern for Tesla drivers going for the Eclipse than long lines waiting to charge.

I'm leaving MA on the 18th, and gonna just drive W or SW while checking the weather. I'll go as far as WY if I need to, looking at MO or NE. I just want to find a small town somewhere, should be no problem.
I took the whole week of the 21st off so I can take my time on the way home. Camping configuration, so no tubas!

The hotels in NE and WY look to be fulling booked. Those that aren't are using "surge" pricing. I saw a Motel 6 in Sidney, NE for $1006 and a room in Casper was $2500 for the night. Fortunately I'll be able to stay with family. Hopefully they won't charge!

Was thinking about SC, at only 640 miles and 11.5 hours, it sounded like a plan. Wife doesn't want to take off 2 days of work so I'd go it alone.

However, weather, at least this far out, isn't looking good. Might have to make it a last minute decision.

And... just checked hotels in the area I targeted, and all sold out.

Maybe watching the extensive coverage on NASA a good idea :(

We are really spoiled. I remember as a kid, and even a young adult, when road trips almost never ended up in a motel stay. Either we drove straight through to someones home we were visiting, or we would just find a place to camp (free of course, no high priced campground). Even with lots of people coming together it was still "wall-to-wall" sleeping bags or pads on the floor, with the kids sleeping outside in the back yard if the weather was nice.

To think that anyone would even consider paying such a premium for a motel room for the night is hard for me to imagine. Sleep under the stars or recline in the car. Either will work.

Good luck! We want a report on how the trip turned out.

I always thought on a road trip that there was the option of sleeping in the car (Model S). I mean, the rear seats fold flat and all one needs is a comfortable pad. The car can be set for climate control without worrying about asphyxiation.

In a pinch a great option to avoid those $1000 per night eclipse charges. Use the money saved for a great dinner.