Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Cabin Overheat “No A/C” mode work for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s nothing in the manual that suggests Cabin Overheat Protection can be used without the AC.
Really? Hmm I was referring to this option:

IMG_6283.jpeg

I've used it. If the car is in the sun pulling hot air in from outside won't seem like it is doing anything. What do are you looking to see?
Ah, that would make sense, thanks. Without COP, it gets up to 140+ F for me. I tried “No A/C” and it just seems like COP wasn’t turning on. No notification, no change in temp. I even tried first cooling it down to 120F then trying it, but still nothing. Only A/C will trigger it.

LOL

I was literally thinking about this topic this morning and was going to post the same!

My M3 is set for "no AC", and I've never seen any notification (via app) that COP is enabled.
I've gotten notified only if AC is on.

So was also wondering, if the setting is set to "No AC", is something actually bring turned on and used (like the fan) and there's simply no notification, or is this setting faulty and nothing's happening?

Thanks

Reactions: Abraham
Does cabin overheat monitoring mean the car can’t sleep?
I was wondering this as well. Looking around I don't find a definitive answer, but most believe the car does sleep as long as the temperature stays below the set temperature for COP.

The idea is that the temperature sensor is "passive" and once it goes over X° car turns on and cools the cabin.

In practice the car doesn't sleep well since in sunny areas the COP has to turn on intermittently a few times per hour, so the car can never sleep for longer than say 15 minutes tops.

Since finding this out I did turn it off and I go for the "turn on climate control 30 minutes before I want to leave somewhere". COP is only for comfort on short stops. When I'm at work for 8-10 hours the COP wastes energy keeping the car cool. (The moment your car is very hot it radiates heat as fast as it absorbs it, so you get "free" COP. There is little point in not wanting the car get hot during the hours you are not using the car).

What I also checked for: a hot car cabin does not damage the computer/screen. The manual states this specifically. COP is for comfort of the passengers/driver, not to prevent damage to the vehicle. Some people worry about this but that is not proven to be correct.

I suspect fan only is an incremental benefit. I expect it to help me, but I'm using a windshield screen and a roof screen. I also vent my windows. Meaning I've addressed heat gain and provided a way for heat to escape. All I need is some air exchange. For other use cases prolly not much you can expect.

Does cabin overheat protection (with A/C) normally give you guys a notification? I don't think I've ever gotten a notification when it's active, or when it isn't
Yes, I get notifications from the app when it kicks in. Check your app's notification settings and make sure that one is enabled (if you want it). Here in south FL, I get the notifications anytime the car is parked outside.

Reactions: Abraham