Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage title non-Tesla EV's and supercharging....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is now apparently allowing salvage-title Tesla cars on the Supercharger network, but with an HV system inspection done by them at the owners expense. Which should have been the policy from day one.
I saw a story about that "coming soon" but never saw a follow up that it had been implemented.

The reason they didn't do this inspection program from the start is because they wanted to drive sales of new Tesla's vs allowing repair of damaged cars. Now (possibly due to pressure from right to repair advocacy groups) they have supposedly implemented the inspection system. Once again you know that the reason is BS because they will not require salvage title non-Tesla vehicles to be certified by the manufacture before they are allowed to use the magic dock.

(pure speculation here) If they have instituted an inspection system for salvage Tesla's, from what I read it will be so involved and expensive as to make the process financially out of reach of anyone trying to save money by buying and repairing a salvage car. Just one more way to protect new car sales.

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Is Tesla cooperate going to start scouring internet forums and auction websites to blacklist non-Tesla salvage title EV's from using the magic dock? If they don't do so, does this drive a legal wedge into the BS argument that they are blacklisting salvage title Tesla's for the owners safety?
It wouldn't matter if they did, that wouldn't give them the information necessary to block the vehicles. (VIN number isn't exchanged as part of CCS charging.)

They would have to get the MAC address of the ethernet adapter on the charge port of the vehicle to be able to add it to a deny list.

It wouldn't matter if they did, that wouldn't give them the information necessary to block the vehicles. (VIN number isn't exchanged as part of CCS charging.)

They would have to get the MAC address of the ethernet adapter on the charge port of the vehicle to be able to add it to a deny list.

Don't you have to put your VIN into the app when you sign up for non-Tesla Supercharging? I have a Chevy Bolt, but I never plan on sitting at a supercharger in it charging at 50 KW tying the system up for an hour, so I have not put it into my app.

Keith

Don't you have to put your VIN into the app when you sign up for non-Tesla Supercharging? I have a Chevy Bolt, but I never plan on sitting at a supercharger in it charging at 50 KW tying the system up for an hour, so I have not put it into my app.

Keith
Depending on where you are, lots of Supercharger locations are empty much of the time (meaning not California). Don't feel guilty about using the service if it is a good fit for your needs, unless it is really congested.

Depending on where you are, lots of Supercharger locations are empty much of the time (meaning not California). Don't feel guilty about using the service if it is a good fit for your needs, unless it is really congested.

Now that I have the MYP, the Bolt isn't really used for road trips any more. It does amuse me when people (most of whom have never used it) complain about the CCS system not having chargers though, we road tripped all over the country in our Bolt with very few issues. Main problem was having to do your own route planning instead of the car taking care of that for you.

Keith

Is Tesla cooperate going to start scouring internet forums and auction websites to blacklist non-Tesla salvage title EV's from using the magic dock? If they don't do so, does this drive a legal wedge into the BS argument that they are blacklisting salvage title Tesla's for the owners safety?

Keith
Tesla has many issues with their disabling of sc and a Tesla safety inspection to reinstate it. I’ve argued this many times before in different posts…
1. Tesla doesn’t have the legal authority to certify compliance to any revived salvage vehicle to any requirement. The state does that. In ca they require a brake, light, and vin verification. It’s quite minimal but that’s not for Tesla to judge. Tesla certified compliance to CARB and NHSTA requirements to sell cars new in states, Not resales of insurance owned cars. They don’t even have any legal outreach to recall vehicles other than to inform owners of a “recall” as per law.
2. Anyone trying to argue Tesla cuts supercharging to protect themselves or the charge station is conjecture and opinion.
3. The way tesla block sc is to ota drive a software change to a vehicle. This is illegal. Tesla has no lawful interest in owners vehicles they don’t own. Can you imagine Tesla driving an ota change to limit your speed if they decide you drive too fast? Tesla cannot change anything in non-owned vehicles. Even software updates are owners choice and the offering is teslas choice.
4. If tesla wants to block sc they may put an attendant in front of their supply equipment and not offer service to whomever they chose. They cannot do that by changing software on cars they don’t own.
5. Even if tesla puts an attendant in front of supply equipment to refuse service they are in conflict with the state’s authorization of having registered a branded title vehicle. Tesla is not state authorized as arbiter of any kind of charging requirement. It’s like the bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Tesla has many issues with their disabling of sc and a Tesla safety inspection to reinstate it. I’ve argued this many times before in different posts…
1. Tesla doesn’t have the legal authority to certify compliance to any revived salvage vehicle to any requirement. The state does that. In ca they require a brake, light, and vin verification. It’s quite minimal but that’s not for Tesla to judge. Tesla certified compliance to CARB and NHSTA requirements to sell cars new in states, Not resales of insurance owned cars. They don’t even have any legal outreach to recall vehicles other than to inform owners of a “recall” as per law.
2. Anyone trying to argue Tesla cuts supercharging to protect themselves or the charge station is conjecture and opinion.
3. The way tesla block sc is to ota drive a software change to a vehicle. This is illegal. Tesla has no lawful interest in owners vehicles they don’t own. Can you imagine Tesla driving an ota change to limit your speed if they decide you drive too fast? Tesla cannot change anything in non-owned vehicles. Even software updates are owners choice and the offering is teslas choice.
4. If tesla wants to block sc they may put an attendant in front of their supply equipment and not offer service to whomever they chose. They cannot do that by changing software on cars they don’t own.
5. Even if tesla puts an attendant in front of supply equipment to refuse service they are in conflict with the state’s authorization of having registered a branded title vehicle. Tesla is not state authorized as arbiter of any kind of charging requirement. It’s like the bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.
That's a whole lotta words.

The SC reenable is not difficult nor expensive, it's a process made to allow you to use tesla's DCFC system. If you don't wish to do that, enable CCS or use Chademo.

Problem solved. wind outta the sails of the age old 'zomg Tesla n0 want charge'

Reactions: Rocky_H
That's a whole lotta words.

The SC reenable is not difficult nor expensive, it's a process made to allow you to use tesla's DCFC system. If you don't wish to do that, enable CCS or use Chademo.

Problem solved. wind outta the sails of the age old 'zomg Tesla n0 want charge'
I paid for sc reenable and it was near 1k plus the time and hassle of 2 separate appointments. Why should I have had to pay Tesla to inspect it when the state of ca already certified and registered the vehicle? Problem solved when you don’t have to pay for it. Right?

How comfortable would you be to allow someone you do not know, with a salvage but cheaply repaired Zombie EV, plugging into your home charging system and going to sleep?

Since this isn't rocket surgery, I would be fine with it. EV's have charging system failures, when they happen what do you think occurs?

A. The car explodes killing everyone in a 1 block radius.
B. The car locks the doors after the driver gets back into the car and bursts into flames roasting the driver like a pig on a spit.
C. The charging equipment explodes / bursts into flames.
D. The car fails to start charging and displays an error message.

If you were on "who wants to be a Millionaire" and this was the question for the 1 million dollar prize and you were being 100% honest with yourself (and wanted to win the $$$) what letter would you pick?

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
How comfortable would you be to allow someone you do not know, with a salvage but cheaply repaired Zombie EV, plugging into your home charging system and going to sleep?
Your post is irrelevant and moot. Anyone private party car sale can be as you described and at the same time Tesla isn’t even the one buying it. Whataboutism is a tired argument

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
I paid for sc reenable and it was near 1k plus the time and hassle of 2 separate appointments. Why should I have had to pay Tesla to inspect it when the state of ca already certified and registered the vehicle? Problem solved when you don’t have to pay for it. Right?
Because they own the supercharger network and it's entirely up to them if they allow you to use it? I agree with the part they have no business changing your vehicles' software without your permission, but that's an implementation detail (which they can work around by doing a VIN check via the supercharger network or if they changed the software to do phone home, which they probably do now in the newest versions). They do have the right to blacklist cars. That there are state inspections are irrelevant to what a private company does.

The state inspection doesn't inspect the high voltage system for safety so it's irrelevant to the issue. Plus the media isn't going to care if there is state inspection nor necessarily say the Tesla that caught on fire at a supercharger station is salvage or rebuilt salvage in the first place. Tesla will just take that negative PR hit.

As mentioned in the other thread, that salvage non-Teslas can charge via magic dock doesn't change the logic for disabling salvage Teslas at all. There isn't going to be the same negative PR if a non-Tesla charges at a supercharger station.

As for if Magic Dock works around the check for salvage Teslas, so far there have been zero indication that is the case. And Tesla can easily close that loophole if it did exist (by running the SC protocol first before going to CCS mode).

Last edited:
5. Even if tesla puts an attendant in front of supply equipment to refuse service they are in conflict with the state’s authorization of having registered a branded title vehicle. Tesla is not state authorized as arbiter of any kind of charging requirement.
The state registering a vehicle makes it legal for you to drive on the roads. It doesn't give you any rights/authorizations to private property and/or services. For example, I know someone that was banned from a gas station because their car leaked gas while filling, even though it was legally registered. (Some states, like Oregon, have no safety certifications. They don't care, you can have shot suspension, faulty brakes, bald tires, etc. and still get a rebuilt title for your vehicle and register it. They do have emissions certification, so your catalytic converter better be working.)

It’s like the bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.
No, it isn't. Sexual orientation is a legally protected class against discrimination. Title status of a vehicle isn't.

The state registering a vehicle makes it legal for you to drive on the roads. It doesn't give you any rights/authorizations to private property and/or services. For example, I know someone that was banned from a gas station because their car leaked gas while filling, even though it was legally registered. (Some states, like Oregon, have no safety certifications. They don't care, you can have shot suspension, faulty brakes, bald tires, etc. and still get a rebuilt title for your vehicle and register it. They do have emissions certification, so your catalytic converter better be working.)
If the vehicle is leaking gas, it is a hazard to everyone in the immediate area.

Just having a salvaged title does not mean that vehicle is a hazard to everyone in the immediate area.

Reactions: Fourdoor