Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model S need to be plugged in to receive firmware updates? Or on wifi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for being plugged in, I got home last night and being in a hurry to get to a project forgot to plug in. My bad. But I received the update anyway.

Regarding wifi, I had the car hooked to wifi but checking the car occasionally I saw that sometimes it was receiving wifi and sometimes not. I don't know what was making it change.

The router is right next to my computer and I kept an eye on the lights on the front that would indicates data being transferred. Every now and then there was a blink or two and at one point it blinked repeatedly for a couple of seconds. But I never say anything indicating a large download.

Despite that I eventually received a notification on my iPhone that an update was ready to install (i.e. it had already been downloaded and was ready to install).

So install it I did, but it appears to me (a computer challenged person :) ) that the update arrived via the car's cell signal and not wifi despite wifi being available.

Any similar experiences?

So, Milli and I were just driving along, minding our own business, going south in Arizona toward Phoenix. At that moment, the car screen popped up with a message that it had just downloaded some new firmware and did I want to install it.

No, it does not need to be plugged in.

Just got my car last week and still waiting for the update. does anyone have a screenshot of what it looks like when the update is available? I can't seem to find one on the forums.

This is my first update (2 months old this week) so I was very excited to see this pop up when I got in the car this morning!
IMG_2232.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    652.1 KB · Views: 109
Last time I heard that sounds from a dash it was from an HVAC actuator that was dying, trying to seek the proper position.

Interesting. Mine has done it since new (3 years) but it's barely noticeable. If I sit in the car while parked with the sound system off, I can hear those "hard drive" - like sounds, but if I set my fan speed to some specific setting instead of leaving it in "Auto" the sounds stop.

I updated the software then closed the message box (, prematurely?) but the firmware is still the same. Does my car need to wait for the next wave and download the software again?
My car is usually not connected to Wifi except yesterday when I parked it at my friend's house. I hope I don't have to stay at my friend's house every day to wait for the update to come through.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 88
I updated the software then closed the message box (, prematurely?) but the firmware is still the same. Does my car need to wait for the next wave and download the software again?
My car is usually not connected to Wifi except yesterday when I parked it at my friend's house. I hope I don't have to stay at my friend's house every day to wait for the update to come through.

Did you really update, just schedule the update, or did you just close the "upgrade available pop-up"? If you scheduled, did you say immediate or delayed? If immediate, your MS will seem like nothing is happening, then in a while, displays may go off or reboot. If you closed the pop-up and didn't really start the upgrade, you should have a new icon at the top of the 17" you can select to get the pop-up back and get your update going.

For those who are missing the v7.1, you are also missing the regular AP nag as posted by many senior members of TMC.
I have no problem because I maintain one hand on wheel, so no nagging for me :biggrin:.
I don't miss the media quick favorites because I only listen to two stations on Slacker, plus my USB drive.

Nice features that I like are:
1. Auto-open and auto-close of garage door
2. Driver door unlock
3. Earlier auto-lock on walkway

Pretty sure I started the update and waited for the process to start. It's my first software update so I documented the first several steps :redface:.
Humm. Your picture wasn't there the first time I read your previous post, so sorry for my additional questions.

Looks like you did what you should have. If that screen "Update Completed, Checking Status" is still there after a substantial amount of time, I'd call the Tech Support 800#. Also just try touching the T on the 17" and see if you are on 7.1...

...also note there is recent discussion Tesla may have pulled this update. See this one: 7.1 yellow clock disappeared before I updated