TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does Software Update preference > ADVANCED do anything?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ybbor, Jun 4, 2019.

1. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Sorry Tessie. Though, don’t think you’re missing much. Apparently it’s only dog mode improvements.

• Funny x 1
  2. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

Buster sez: “No love for me either?”

Just sad times here in the dmurphy household ....

69A68309-0E4E-4112-9901-9F963AA086DD.jpeg

• Funny x 1
  3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

We got it today on one out of four cars, all of which are set to Advanced.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah one of our cars got it last Friday. Our second one still doesn’t have it today. Both early FSD, both set to Advanced.

5. hijimmylin

hijimmylin Member

I'm in a slightly different boat. I've got "Advanced" toggled on (LR RWD in C) and last night I received the "update available, connect to WiFi" message. Connected to my home WiFi, but nothing happened. Tried again today (this time using my phone's hotspot) and nothing happened still. About two hours ago, I noticed the "update available" message disappeared. So maybe that means the update got pulled? Or I missed my window lol.

• Informative x 1
  6. Lostb0y

Lostb0y Member

April 2019 Standard Range Plus got the update today. It was set to advanced.

7. imnotdavez

imnotdavez Member

I was stuck on 2019.12.1.2 for a while and then decided to pay the $6K for FSD and it then updated to 2019.16.2 later that night.

I immediately set it to Advanced, but haven't had any further updates since. It's only been 15 days, though...

8. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 Somewhat Active Member

9. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Updates do get pulled back. Sometimes it’s because of bugs but other times it’s simply because they offer the update to, say, 1000 cars with the goal of 750 of them installing it. If they hit their quota before you have a chance to apply, they might pull it back and you’ll wait for the next rollout.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

This is exactly why I don't set my car to advanced.

At least twice before I've seen folks getting a new update that then got pulled and those who got it were stuck with bugs for days or weeks until they got an update that fixed em.

11. RSL2020

RSL2020 Member

True that! I don't think I want the lane departure nuisances I've been reading about. I'll stick with 2019.12.1.2 until they get that ironed out.

12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

Updated data points:

Our four cars are still all set to Advanced. A month ago, all four got 2019.16.2 or 2019.16.3. The two newest cars got updated to 2019.20.2.1 a few days ago. The other two cars are still on 2019.16.2. The AP 2 car is in the bottom 32% of AP 2 cars that have not been updated (meaning 68% of AP 2 cars have already been updated). The AP 2.5 car is in the bottom 20% of AP 2.5 cars that have not been updated.

A fifth car (different address) was set to Standard and was updated to 2019.20.2.1 recently as well.

So much for the "Advanced" option actually doing something. :(

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Granted I only have 1 data point, but it seems like "advanced" and "standard" are just new sub groups for updates that you are already eligible for. So if you choose "advanced" you just get slightly more preferential treatment in getting an update you would have gotten anyway. Like the notes say, updates are still based on configuration and location. You will only get updates that match your car's configuration and location. I was on 2019.16.2 for awhile and got nothing when 2019.20 rolled out. It was only when 2019.20.2.1 rolled out that I got it. And I did get it within 24 hours of it showing up on teslafi.

My guess is that Tesla created the "advanced" and "standard" settings to try to better manage the roll out process and reduce the calls from owners asking service centers to push the latest update. This way, when an update is available that matches your car's configuration and location, it will automatically go out to the "advanced" group first, then the "standard" group second.