Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Software Update preference > ADVANCED do anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry Tessie. Though, don’t think you’re missing much. Apparently it’s only dog mode improvements.

Buster sez: “No love for me either?”

Just sad times here in the dmurphy household ....

69A68309-0E4E-4112-9901-9F963AA086DD.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
Curious to hear what others report now. I just got 20.1 the instant TeslaFi started showing installs beyond California and Europe. I have Advanced selected and was a 2018 purchaser of FSD. I'm never in the initial blast of an update, so I think this setting may actually do something.
We got it today on one out of four cars, all of which are set to Advanced.

I'm in a slightly different boat. I've got "Advanced" toggled on (LR RWD in C) and last night I received the "update available, connect to WiFi" message. Connected to my home WiFi, but nothing happened. Tried again today (this time using my phone's hotspot) and nothing happened still. About two hours ago, I noticed the "update available" message disappeared. So maybe that means the update got pulled? Or I missed my window lol.

• Informative
Reactions: ViPaDawG
I'm in a slightly different boat. I've got "Advanced" toggled on (LR RWD in C) and last night I received the "update available, connect to WiFi" message. Connected to my home WiFi, but nothing happened. Tried again today (this time using my phone's hotspot) and nothing happened still. About two hours ago, I noticed the "update available" message disappeared. So maybe that means the update got pulled? Or I missed my window lol.
Updates do get pulled back. Sometimes it’s because of bugs but other times it’s simply because they offer the update to, say, 1000 cars with the goal of 750 of them installing it. If they hit their quota before you have a chance to apply, they might pull it back and you’ll wait for the next rollout.

This is exactly why I don't set my car to advanced.

At least twice before I've seen folks getting a new update that then got pulled and those who got it were stuck with bugs for days or weeks until they got an update that fixed em.

True that! I don't think I want the lane departure nuisances I've been reading about. I'll stick with 2019.12.1.2 until they get that ironed out.

Updated data points:

Our four cars are still all set to Advanced. A month ago, all four got 2019.16.2 or 2019.16.3. The two newest cars got updated to 2019.20.2.1 a few days ago. The other two cars are still on 2019.16.2. The AP 2 car is in the bottom 32% of AP 2 cars that have not been updated (meaning 68% of AP 2 cars have already been updated). The AP 2.5 car is in the bottom 20% of AP 2.5 cars that have not been updated.

A fifth car (different address) was set to Standard and was updated to 2019.20.2.1 recently as well.

So much for the "Advanced" option actually doing something. :(

Granted I only have 1 data point, but it seems like "advanced" and "standard" are just new sub groups for updates that you are already eligible for. So if you choose "advanced" you just get slightly more preferential treatment in getting an update you would have gotten anyway. Like the notes say, updates are still based on configuration and location. You will only get updates that match your car's configuration and location. I was on 2019.16.2 for awhile and got nothing when 2019.20 rolled out. It was only when 2019.20.2.1 rolled out that I got it. And I did get it within 24 hours of it showing up on teslafi.

My guess is that Tesla created the "advanced" and "standard" settings to try to better manage the roll out process and reduce the calls from owners asking service centers to push the latest update. This way, when an update is available that matches your car's configuration and location, it will automatically go out to the "advanced" group first, then the "standard" group second.

Reactions: joelliot
For a month it seemed like Advanced actually got me updates as they appeared on TeslaFi (every few days)... but since V10, it's not any more. I'v been stuck on 2019.36.2.1 for 28 days, and the prior update was 28 days; I've seen 7 new version appear on TeslaFi but the car says update to date and ignores them.

I wish they were a little more transparent about the rollout procedure. Advanced did work for a little while on v9, but not any more.

For a month it seemed like Advanced actually got me updates as they appeared on TeslaFi (every few days)... but since V10, it's not any more. I'v been stuck on 2019.36.2.1 for 28 days, and the prior update was 28 days; I've seen 7 new version appear on TeslaFi but the car says update to date and ignores them.

I wish they were a little more transparent about the rollout procedure. Advanced did work for a little while on v9, but not any more.
Same here. We were starting to see updates every week or two from July until November on the cars with Advanced. Now we're going on three weeks without an update. Over the past 3 years, the average time between updates for our cars has been 23 days. We'll probably be getting one soon...

Last edited:
Reactions: ybbor
I believe that Advanced means that you will receive incremental updates. This was frequent for me before Version 10 and no notification was given. A new feature or adjustment would occur without notice and then become part of the next actual version update. With 2019.36.x.x this trend slowed and I have not been paying attention as much.

Reactions: ybbor
I believe that Advanced means that you will receive incremental updates. This was frequent for me before Version 10 and no notification was given. A new feature or adjustment would occur without notice and then become part of the next actual version update. With 2019.36.x.x this trend slowed and I have not been paying attention as much.

Exactly. Before v10, I had my car set to Advanced and I'd get almost all the incremental updates that would appear on TeslaFi within a day or two (one or two updates a week). Since V10, I'm still on Advanced but no longer getting incremental updates, no longer every few days... now only getting updates about once a month maybe.

I'm an early FSD P3+ owner so I should be near the top of the list on Advanced, and seemed to be for a while on V9, but no longer. I think they broke the Advanced button in V10.

Exactly. Before v10, I had my car set to Advanced and I'd get almost all the incremental updates that would appear on TeslaFi within a day or two (one or two updates a week). Since V10, I'm still on Advanced but no longer getting incremental updates, no longer every few days... now only getting updates about once a month maybe.

I'm an early FSD P3+ owner so I should be near the top of the list on Advanced, and seemed to be for a while on V9, but no longer. I think they broke the Advanced button in V10.
What version are you on right now @ybbor?