Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the $5k P85D upgrade get you a ludicrous P85D or a ludicrous P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't make sense for there to be a difference in the 0 - 60mph time for the P85DL or P90DL since the key factor is how many amps can the motor draw. It will be the same with the new fuse.

My GUESS as to why the person in the UK would say 2.9 instead of 2.8 is because they are probably talking 0 to 100km, and a 100km is actually 62.5mph.

Even in Canada when I was buying my P85D the website would say 3.2 instead of 3.1

Wouldn't make sense for there to be a difference in the 0 - 60mph time for the P85DL or P90DL since the key factor is how many amps can the motor draw. It will be the same with the new fuse.

My GUESS as to why the person in the UK would say 2.9 instead of 2.8 is because they are probably talking 0 to 100km, and a 100km is actually 62.5mph.

Even in Canada when I was buying my P85D the website would say 3.2 instead of 3.1

Ooh no we don't have any km around here. miles all the way!

However I have now been told what the reason for the difference was (but it's unrelated to this). However it does seem that the battery size has no impact on 0-60 time - identical P85DL and P90DL cars would get the same time.

Last edited:
I picked up my P85D this morning the 17th, and my delivery time was 11am. Ironically the same time the announcement was made.
I would be shocked if I could not do whatever it takes to get the Ludicrous upgrade. I read that is is $5k plus labor. (substantiated by the threads above)
I've already called my service center and requested that I will get the 1st available upgrade when it's possible.

It seems as though you can upgrade an existing P85D to allow for Ludicrous mode and end up with the 2.8 sec 0-60 and the 10.9 1/4 mile time. The only additional advantage the 90 battery pack gives you is the additional mileage (+5%, so less than 15 miles for a P85D going to a P90D). Chasing tenths is expensive, any of us who have modified ICE cars in the past know this well. Having owned stock Corvettes that didn't remain stock for long (1999 FRC 408 CID Supercharged Stroker with 695 RWHP, 2003 ZO6 TTiX Twin Turbo with 985 RWHP). So if you think about it at the end of the day, the additional cost to take a P85D to 2.8 seconds 0-60 actually isn't all that bad :biggrin:

The blog post is up.
Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors

Ludicrous Mode
This option will cost $10k for new buyers. In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor.

It is important to note that the battery pack size upgrade and the pack electronics upgrade are almost entirely independent. The first is about energy, which affects range, and the second is about power, which affects acceleration.
I think that pretty much clears it up except for how much the "plus installation labor" is.

Made a short video in reaction to today's P95D LUDICROUS mode news as I get to work on my review series....

Gave some props in the video to TMC too! Given that I just took delivery 5 days ago, totally going to do the upgrade. Been talking to my Sr. Owner Advisor guy and it's confirmed. Doesn't seem like the service centers here have much info yet, but definitely made it clear I want to be front of the line for the upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's be clear here, any battery pack option, 60, 70, 85 can be put into any other model s.
I know this to be incorrect.
How do you know this? 60's have been upgraded to 85's.
As an example, you can't put a Sig 85 pack into a P85D -- even though they have the same marketed capacity. There are multiple generations of pack changes that make the legacy pack incompatible with the new vehicles. I don't know whether you can do the reverse (P85D pack into a Sig 85).

KJ's statement was very broad, making it definitely incorrect. If you choose narrower statements, some of those cases may be technically feasible.

Sorka: I believe your statement above is _almost_ correct. It would be entirely correct if you swap "with the current pack" with "with the current fuse/contractor". The limiting factor for the current P85D is not Energy (ie pack size), but rather Power (how quickly the energy can be tapped). The current fuse/contactor on the current P85D can't handle anything beyond 1300 amps. They heat up and blow beyond that. The new fuse and contactor is an advanced design using better high temperature material, and can safely draw up it 1500 amps. With these new components in place the dual motors can safely draw higher power from the existing P85D pack, achieving ludicrous mode on 85kwh pack.

Per Elon's blog post "The net result is that we can safely increase the max pack output from 1300 to 1500 Amps."
Here are my calculations:
For the current P85D
Fuse/Contactor Limit: 1,300 Amps
With a nominal operating pack voltage of 366v
Max Power = 1300x366 = 475.8KW
414kw is probably the result of a software safety limit to 87% of max fuse capacity. (475x87% = 414)

For the new P85D
Fuse/Contactor Limit: 1,500 Amps
With a nominal operating pack voltage of 366v
Max Power = 1500x366 = 549KW (736 hp)
87% of 549kw = 477.6 KW (640 hp)

So the fuse/contactor update for the P85D-Ludicrous allows Tesla to tap an additional 64 kW from the battery, leading to the 2.8s 0-60mph performance boost.

What is interesting to note is that Tesla still has some room for improvement. The maximum power rating for both motors combined on the P85D is 568 kW (or 762 HP), so if an even better fuse can be found, then additional power can be tapped leading to even better performance (assuming no issues with other factors such as traction, battery pack & wiring, etc)

And raising the hopes of potential buyers with the promise of a free OTA upgrade to improve high speed performance was simply not ok.

I haven't read every post or tweet, but from what I have read there was a comment in January that top speed would go to 155 and performance unseen by anyone outside Tesla would be added. The update in April did decrease the time to 3.1s so technically performance was improved and until that update nobody outside Tesla has seen it.

All I ever read about 2.8s was a rumor that was based on information from someone inside Tesla and nothing was ever said about if it required new hardware. Ludicrous mode is enabled via a firmware update if you have the hardware to support it. I don't remember anyone promising that it would be a software-only change, but I might have missed something.

I know very little about the motors or electrical systems of our cars, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it possible the car could achieve 2.8s at 1300amps, but in varying conditions it exceeded 1300amps? I have noticed that the energy graph in my car shows numbers that are higher at times than times I have floored it from 0. If so, then maybe the people that experienced 2.8s weren't present for the times the fuse failed.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read some commentary that the 0-30 hasn't changed because of traction. That would be based on the non-staggered wheel setup they are building cars with. Wouldn't it be technically possible to improve that even further on a car that was running a staggered 265/285 config?

In that case, there are a lot of trolls, who also happen to have bought or considered a P85D... So the highest margin clients for Tesla, whose "whining" should be taken seriously... especially when it's based on facts and reasonable expectations. By the way, for the record, I think that the P90DL finally fits the bill of the super-Tesla, with what seems to be improved acceleration at most speeds vs the other versions on offer (and also previous ones such as the classic P85). A serious contender for replacing my P85+! Only thing left to do is for Tesla to publish some real hp like they do for the other models. And for me to actually test drive the car ;-)

Tesla never lied about the 691 hp, they were however deceptive by having this "motor power" figure as the only power figure, and by not correcting the misconception that the media and general public has that the car can actually output this power at any point in time. Not cool. What they seem to have lied about was an incoming free OTA improvement of P85D *at high speed*. This fuse upgrade seems to achieve that, but it's far from free... Really not cool for people who bought a P85D at the time, taking this promise (commitment?) into account. Why does Tesla keep doing this (this being mismanaging expectations), it's so unnecessary...

+1

we p85d buyers are not the only one that got mislead, most of reviews on p85d refer to it as 691 HP, I'm very disappointed with tesla, I cancell my model x reservation because of this.