Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 70D feel slower than S85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered a 70D last week and went to do a test drive and to compare various options yesterday (have till tomorrow midnight to change for free). About 2 months ago, I test drove a S85 and that's what basically persuaded me to get a Tesla. When I drove the S85, it was on roads that were basically empty, and I was able to do some launches, and do really fast on ramps. The test drive was also pretty long, probably about 30 mins, and the car felt just great.

Yesterday they were super busy, and I also had to spend some time to compare options, so the drive was much shorter, maybe only about 10 mins, and the roads were pretty crowded. Overall I felt the 70D was slower than the S85 I drove two months ago, which really shouldn't be the case based on stats. I mean basically given the minimal performance stat differences, they should feel about the same. Also the 70D engine(s) are noticeably louder than the S85.

For others who have driven both S85 and 70D, do you feel both cars basically are just about equally quick? I wonder if my experience was significantly affected by the shorter drive and the somewhat crowded streets (not long enough open road/on ramps).

So just want to hear from others on your experiences.

Best that more who have driven them reply, but I'd expect that relative to 85 it will be like the 60kwh, with less highway roll-on passing power. It may have equal/better 0-30, but like the P85D, 85D, the "from a stop" grins should be where it excels. Generally, BEVs are out fast, then taper down more quickly than ICEs in their ability to accelerate. Tesla throws more kwh into the mix, which makes the initial acceleration last into higher MPH, but it is still a single-speed BEV, and 60-80mph power is where I'd suspect you'll feel the loss of what an extra 15kwh (in terms of discharge capacity) can do.

It's all relative.

I have driven the P85, P85D, S85, and 70D.

The 70D and S85 I drove each had similar suspension set ups (coils). The 70D felt more planted in corners (I had a chance in both instances to do some spirited driving) obviously die to AWD. But with the butt to seat feeling meter, the 70D felt faster because it felt more connected to the road, but the differences were negligible.

I drove the 70D, 85D and owned an 85S for two years. I just recently ordered a 2015 85S. This is just personal preference but I was not any more impressed with the 70D's accel than my 85S. And I much prefer RWD, so for me the decision was an easy one.

Also drove the P85D. Now that you can feel.

I drove a P85 and then the 70D and was launched in a P85D (just sitting in the back seat). Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the 70D's acceleration. Maybe I was spoiled by the P85 and P85D, but it was ok. And honestly, it didn't feel that much faster than my 2011 Volt 0-30. I have purposely not driven the 85D because I know as soon as i do, I'll have to get it - and stripped down without some of the options I really want. I'm sure the 85D would be plenty fast and has the range covered too.

My plan is to order the loaded 70D this month and not take delivery until November. In the meantime, I am hoping to scour the inventory cars to find an 85D loaded in my price range (< $100k).

I drove a P85 and then the 70D and was launched in a P85D (just sitting in the back seat). Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the 70D's acceleration. Maybe I was spoiled by the P85 and P85D, but it was ok. And honestly, it didn't feel that much faster than my 2011 Volt 0-30. I have purposely not driven the 85D because I know as soon as i do, I'll have to get it - and stripped down without some of the options I really want. I'm sure the 85D would be plenty fast and has the range covered too.

My plan is to order the loaded 70D this month and not take delivery until November. In the meantime, I am hoping to scour the inventory cars to find an 85D loaded in my price range (< $100k).

Felt the same the Volt?! I have a Volt also--and it's a 9 second 0-60 car. I can't imagine that the 70D is equal from 0-30
and then it goes light speed 30-60 in order to reach 60, 4 seconds faster than the Volt!

A nicely loaded 85D is already right around $100K so if you get an inventory car, look for one with about a $10K discount.

I've driven the 70D and the RWD 85 and they both accelerate about the same. It is fast but not exceptionally so for the price segment. Personally I'd opt for an 85D is acceleration is important to you. Between the 70D and the RWD 85, I'd definitely recommend the 70D.

I have driven the Volt, it's a little bit better than a Prius at best... like levels below any Tesla... not comparable whatsoever.

I felt the S85 acceleration was perfectly adequate and just want to make sure 70D is about the same because I somehow felt it was slower yesterday, maybe because of the more crowded street.

+1 I leased a Volt and, while I did enjoy it for what I wanted (gas-less daily commute), it's not even on the same planet in comparison with a Model S. My test drives of S85, S60, and 70D had me feeling like the 70D will be a good fit for me. 5.2 seconds to 60mph (vs 9 seconds in the Volt) is going to feel just fine by me.

I love how people think the 5.2 seconds 0-60 is slow. We are hemming and hawing over a second people. Lets all be happy with our purchases as we are all very fortunate to have such a beautiful piece of machinery. If youve got the money go for the high end. If not do whats best for your budget.

The 70D is quicker to 60 the the S85. In PA snow, I'd welcome the AWD. And I think AWD would hold the turns better.

My my next one will be an X, which only comes in AWD anyway...

i don't double type words, this forum is just jacked up on my iPad. Nowhere else does it do this.

According to Tesla's web site the 70D is slower from 0-60 and has a lower top end so I'm not sure why the concern that the 70D seems slower. It is.

Capture.PNG

According to Tesla's web site the 70D is slower from 0-60 and has a lower top end so I'm not sure why the concern that the 70D seems slower. It is.

View attachment 80686

No offense intended but that is a reading comprehension fail.

The OP was asking about S70D vs S85 not S70D vs S85D. The correct comparison is
70Dvs85.PNG

To get that you have to click on the 85D and then click on single motor. Once you do you'll see the comparison he is asking about and others are commenting on.

Several posts mention the acronym RWD which means Rear Wheel Drive. Thus S85 not S85D.

With 3/4 of current offerings AWD, and the X to be only AWD, that means 4/5 possible ordering options are AWD.

it's not a stretch to think RWD will be phased out...
With none of the mechanical drawbacks of AWD, (vs. 2), I welcome it.

You have brakes on all four wheels, right..?

Yup i would think the regen would be better too because you can now brake on all 4 wheels instead of 2 in the rear. I hope the awd version of the tesla is overall better both in acceleration handling, cornering, and braking. Maybe they can even reduce the rear brakes completely if they have 4 wheel regen with just the front to slow you down fast if needed. I guess they will never completely remove the rear mechanical brakes because of safety issues. But i can dream right?

Did you really mean "slower?" Or just "less quick?" I mean really...

In all seriousness, I own an S60 and have driven multiple 85s and P85s (none of the D's yet). I don't notice much difference between 60 and 85, but the P85 definitely has a more neck-snapping, stomach-wrenching launch. But I adore my car and have more power than I actually need already.

-Ben