Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model S now come with Red Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bam

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 5.57.52 PM.png

The closeup pic of the wheel still shows a grey generic rotor. If I had to guess, it's probably just the rear single piston sliding caliper being replaced by a (multi-piston?) fixed one. The front caliper doesn't change in shape or size when switching between LR and Plaid.

It’s a colour guys. Not sure why everyone gets so excited about ‘red’ lol. I’ve had 4 teslas since 2015 and the non P versions I simply went to my local caliper paint shop for $200 and got them redone with oem tesla decals. 4 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear.

Latest model3 I actually loved the gloss black on the current MS so went for this. Red is great but on certain colours not so much.

Voila. Red, sporty calipers lol. If the brakes are high Perf brembo or some ceramic option…ok I get it!

Reactions: 2101Guy
Not unusual for relative new owners to feel like they are "missing out" on something, when Tesla releases their frequent upgrades to production. Happens to everybody, but just part of the ownership experience of the fastest moving car company on the Planet.

Not unusual for relative new owners to feel like they are "missing out" on something, when Tesla releases their frequent upgrades to production. Happens to everybody, but just part of the ownership experience of the fastest moving car company on the Planet.
I agree; but, for let's say a tilting screen or a bigger rear screen, I think most owners would be at peace somewhat for missing out, but something as critical as brakes, I would have hoped Tesla did a better job and homework to ensure customer satisfaction. As it is, for any spirited driving, the existing brakes are plainly inadequate; the confidence isn't just there that you can stop the vehicle in time.

Or, even those massive calipers and rotors that a lot of high-performance german cars have. Even cars like the base cayenne or a sporty macan seem to have bigger brakes. :(
Porsche uses tungsten coated rotors now as well, which allow for more aggressive pads and reduce fade quite a bit from the reviews I have read.

Bit odd these "higher thermal capability" brake rotors are not listed on any European Tesla website. They seem to also be red in Europe, but not better?

from the way the photos look, the rear caliper is different. Maybe it's a 2 piston instead of single piston now? Not sure until someone gets their hands on one.