Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this news mean the $2500 rebate is back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who wants to work hard can succeed in our society. Money is not finite, it is created.

Just don't try to make living getting paid in Botswanan Pula ;)

There's nothing wrong with doing the dishes or cooking dinner, and there's plenty of people in our society willing to do that work. Not everyone wants the stress involved, or has the temperament to be, directors or managers.

Many managers and directors lost their jobs recently 'due to recession'. Are they no longer able to handle stress, have no temperament for it?

Many managers and directors lost their jobs recently 'due to recession'. Are they no longer able to handle stress, have no temperament for it?

No one said it's an easy ride. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Most successful people have had more than a few setbacks. But hard work and perseverance overwhelmingly pays off. Again, you can find exceptions to every rule, but the key ingredient to making money is hard work -- that's it. There's no short cuts unless you inherit money or win the lottery, both of which are out of our control.

Just don't try to make living getting paid in Botswanan Pula ;)

Agreed. I know you say that "tongue-in-cheek" but my comments only apply to Canada/US and similar societies. What is unfortunate, is that the American dream is being eroded away.

No one said it's an easy ride. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Most successful people have had more than a few setbacks. But hard work and perseverance overwhelmingly pays off. Again, you can find exceptions to every rule, but the key ingredient to making money is hard work -- that's it. There's no short cuts unless you inherit money or win the lottery, both of which are out of our control.

Agreed. I know you say that "tongue-in-cheek" but my comments only apply to Canada/US and similar societies. What is unfortunate, is that the American dream is being eroded away.

I would argue that middle class is being eroded because of arguments such as yours "hard work and perseverance overwhelmingly pays off" - putting blame on people instead of policy failures.

I would argue that middle class is being eroded because of arguments such as yours "hard work and perseverance overwhelmingly pays off" - putting blame on people instead of policy failures.

It's not an argument, it's a fact that hard work and perseverance overwhelmingly pays off. And I'm not putting any blame on anyone. I'm simply stating a fact. Just because policies fail, and the middle class is being eroded, doesn't mean that hard work no longer pays off. It does mean that the odds are getting more difficult though. At the same time, I would say that there is more opportunity today for someone that wants to work hard than during the vast majority of time in our history, when birthright used to determine your status and there was no way a peasant could climb the economic or social ladders. You need to look at the cup as being half-full rather than half-empty. As Winston Churchill once famously said: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others." The same thing is often said about capitalism. Yet with all of its flaws, there's still a half-full cup, as far as I am concerned.

It's not an argument, it's a fact that hard work and perseverance overwhelmingly pays off. And I'm not putting any blame on anyone. I'm simply stating a fact. Just because policies fail, and the middle class is being eroded, doesn't mean that hard work no longer pays off. It does mean that the odds are getting more difficult though. At the same time, I would say that there is more opportunity today for someone that wants to work hard than during the vast majority of time in our history, when birthright used to determine your status and there was no way a peasant could climb the economic or social ladders. You need to look at the cup as being half-full rather than half-empty. As Winston Churchill once famously said: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others." The same thing is often said about capitalism. Yet with all of its flaws, there's still a half-full cup, as far as I am concerned.

Ok, what you're saying is that hard work does not always pays off. We may disagree on the magnitude but I think we are on the same page.

So once employee one cannot take risks for (usually financial) reward? :)

Of course you can take risk! Just don't expect to stay an employee if you violate the terms of your employment contract. Most companies have rules about what you can do as an employee. Reselling someone else's work as your own is usually considered fraud and I know of no company that would permits it.

• Funny
Reactions: Vitold
So once employee one cannot take risks for (usually financial) reward?

Of course you can take risk! Just don't expect to stay an employee if you violate the terms of your employment contract. Most companies have rules about what you can do as an employee. Reselling someone else's work as your own is usually considered fraud and I know of no company that would permits it.

Since you rated my reply funny, I felt a clarification is needed.

I am currently holding a full time position as computer systems engineer. I also run a side-business as small business computer expert. My employment contract doesn't forbid me from working a side job, as long as it doesn't conflict with my duties to that company. In my case, I've taken a risk without getting in trouble with my employer, thus I am an employee AND am an entrepreneur as well. The two are NOT mutually exclusive and are done by plenty of other people. You just have to be willing to work very hard AND have a positive attitude.