Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DOME Lights: Not LED?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is amusing to read this thread and the differing opinions on light color. Poor Tesla, no matter what they do they can't win. I am waiting for someone to demand that all the interior light colors be infinitely adjustable from near infrared up into the low ultraviolet through the touchscreen, then through the app, then by voice command. 
hehe fine i'll stay with blue :biggrin:
with 20 hardware changes a week, ya can't keep everyone happy!

Has anyone found the answer yet as to whether these new dome light bulbs can be swapped out? This is the only change I don't like on the new deliveries. The dome lights have been changed from about 6000k to about 2700k. The domes definitely don't match with the interior accent lighting now. It's not a show stopper for me, but I definitely want to fix them if I can.

I certainly would prefer the warmer color LED's over the blueish "pure white"/daylight bulbs.

There is a reason it's called "daylight" color temperature -- it's the color of the sun! Humans were not meant to look at sunlight at night. As others have said, it messes up your night vision.

They seem a tad to yellow to me.
agre that they should be as close to daylight as posible (no color), and deffently not blue'is nor yellow. I haven't seen any complaining about the old White.

If I had a choise between the 2 I would go for the old White - judging from the foto the new one seems just too yellow.

If I had a choise between the 2 I would go for the old White - judging from the foto the new one seems just too yellow.

Photos emphasize the colour. 3200K is the colour temperature of old fashioned lightbulbs. LEDs can now be made in just about any colour temperature although the originals were closer to 6000K.

I'd actually love adjustable dome LEDs that very in color temperature. Either they could vary according to the hour of the day, or they could be manually adjusted. I think it would actually be a cool feature for the premium lighting package.

There is a reason it's called "daylight" color temperature -- it's the color of the sun! Humans were not meant to look at sunlight at night. As others have said, it messes up your night vision.

When you first get into the car at night, if the cabin illumination. Is full spectrum "white" light, that will help you accurately see colors and detail inside the car. That is the optimal lighting for that situation. The cabin lights quickly dim as soon as you put the car in gear, if I recall correctly, which is a good idea because at that point you want to concentrate on objects outside the cabin: the road, other vehicles, etc.

My S has the"white" cabin LEDs. I don't see a compelling reason for Tesla to change them to a yellowish tint.

Xenon headlights work best if they are pure white, around 550K to 6000K, for the same reason. Yellowish halogen headlights don't work as well.

So it is unclear to me why some are saying that yellowish cabin lights are better. I don't agree, and am glad my S has the white cabin LEDs.

I too prefer the cooler daylight temp lights. However mine are just a bit too cool/blue to qualify as true daylight. (I actually know what I'm talking about from having done a lot of flash photography and post-processing, color correction etc.)

Got an update to the team.

I went to Fremont service center to find out what's the deal. They told me that they changed the DOME lights when they updated the headliner system (I got the black headliner). Then I asked if I can replaced my new one with the old LED (cooler light) because it was too dark for me. So they told me that don't know because they replaced the whole DOME system and not just the LED bulb. They are not sure if it the system is compatible with the new headliner so they recommend me to call Tesla 24h support 877.79.TESLA and ask for "feature request" and ask for my specific question. Haven't done it yet. Maybe tomorrow... will report back!

I went by tesla service today to inquire about the new yellow done lights. They quoted me 700 in labor to swap out the yellow to white. Mine was a 11/14 delivery, same as the loaner I'm driving which has the white dome lights. Their explanation was they are switching to the yellow ones and the white ones are what they have in stock. But my vin is older than the loaner. What gives?

Is this not something we can switch out ourselves? On my 4Runner, I installed 4300k HID lights and at the same, swapped out the domes, ambient, under armrest, and license plate lights from traditional bulbs to 4300k LEDs. I presume the replacements are also brighter as it is much lighter at night when the doors are open because I can finally see stuff that may drop on the floor! Hopefully the Tesla would use a similar pressure tab-type latch and can pop out and back in easily (I used an eyeglasses flathead screwdriver to pop it out).

Is this not something we can switch out ourselves? On my 4Runner, I installed 4300k HID lights and at the same, swapped out the domes, ambient, under armrest, and license plate lights from traditional bulbs to 4300k LEDs. I presume the replacements are also brighter as it is much lighter at night when the doors are open because I can finally see stuff that may drop on the floor! Hopefully the Tesla would use a similar pressure tab-type latch and can pop out and back in easily (I used an eyeglasses flathead screwdriver to pop it out).

I don't see why they couldn't be swapped out as a DIY.

The only potential issue would be if Tesla is using a voltage drop to indicate the bulb is operating. Put another way, an LED would draw so little current, Tesla could consider the bulb to be burned out and give some kind of potentially annoying warning message. It might also throw an ODB service code.

If that's the case, the easy solution is to add a resister.

If someone cares to spend some time digging around, superbrightleds.com and vleds.com are go-to sites for bulb replacement DIY'ers.

BYW, $700 to replace two bulbs is theft.

Does anyone know where to locate a service manual for Model S? Most of the ICE car I've driven in the past have instructions on how to replace interior lights on the service manual - most of swapping can be done in 10 mins or so, and interior LEDs are usually pretty cheap on eBay. For $700 labor the serveice center wanted to charge though, I suspects that they might have to remove the headliner in order to swap the bulb.

The LED modules (at least the old ones) are quite large, and I don't believe that there would be any way to switch them out without removing the headliner.

Does anyone know where to locate a service manual for Model S? Most of the ICE car I've driven in the past have instructions on how to replace interior lights on the service manual - most of swapping can be done in 10 mins or so, and interior LEDs are usually pretty cheap on eBay. For $700 labor the serveice center wanted to charge though, I suspects that they might have to remove the headliner in order to swap the bulb.

Great thread. The dome lights are the only thing that I don't like. Mine are yellow, Dec 2014 build.

Although I agree the color is too warm, and with the statement that these new ones makes it feel outdated like old interior dome lights, I have a bigger problem with the light :

It's a pin or spot light, not a flood light.

I was searching the Forum in fact to find out how to change to a flood light, but I found this thread instead which was also interesting. I think because there isn't much information on my need, I'm going to just put some sort of frosted diffusing paper over the bulb and tape it on to it so I get a less bright light at night and more of a diffusion / flood pattern. Anyone have any experience with this?