Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done with Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nags have gotten way worse with my 21 Y. Somewhat universal software so nags would go outside U.S. Current admin hired the head NHTSA person that hated Tesla and musk.
Your Y is only about two weeks younger than mine, I wonder why your car is performing so much worse than mine. I rarely see nags on Beta or AP. And I never get nags while at a stop light, where others claim they get torque requests while stopped. Could it be build quality? Some people's steering wheels were installed improperly and their torque sensors can't pick up slight movements?

Your Y is only about two weeks younger than mine, I wonder why your car is performing so much worse than mine. I rarely see nags on Beta or AP. And I never get nags while at a stop light, where others claim they get torque requests while stopped. Could it be build quality? Some people's steering wheels were installed improperly and their torque sensors can't pick up slight movements?
stop light? I only have AP, and am referring to freeway AP nags. It doesnt like the way I drive on long trips...would have thought the cabin camera helps but all it checks for is looking down etc to panic and freak out, rather than seeing person looking at the road.

I totally sympathize with author of the topic.

I was considering buying tesla and rented one, nags were so bad that they made car driving LESS safe, as I was constantly been stressed of autopilot disables itself for the rest of the trip. It wasn't "every few minutes" but each 15-30 seconds! And I was using "autopilot" (or better to say lane keep assist + adaptive CC) of other brands for years and not having ANY issues with nags. And it wasn't just nag but blocking autopilot completely, forcing you to stop, walk away from car, enter again and then continue - if you don't react within 5-10 seconds window (like when you're busy watching road on some potentially risky situation)

That was a deal breaking and I was seriously consider (or even sure) not to buy tesla. However I end up using counterweight plus some trickery to hide it from tesla and it just changed whole experience and made the drive SIGNIFICANTLY more safer than keep looking down every 15 seconds to ensure I'm not getting banned and not looking on the road.

I've explained it here in details if someone interested - Cannot use autopilot for more than 15-30 minutes

Just in case - sorry but I won't share how I've done it - I'm intended to use it a lot and don't want tesla to ban it if it'll become common knowledge.

IMO tesla should fix it, maybe to use camera or something, it's just ridiculous, I actually cannot recommend tesla to anyone, who want to use autopilot, literally almost any major brand will be better.

Last edited:
The Tesla nag system is made worse by the fact that it's not the easiest to safely apply the torque because auto-pilot is so firm in it's control of the steering. Compare this to Hyundai which has the same basic requirement and it's a LOT easier to do it on the Hyundai because everything is so much more gentle and you know you're not going to cancel out of auto-pilot. On the other hand can't you get out of the nag with the scroll wheels on the steering wheel? That's what I've been using most of the time and it seems to work pretty well. I Haven't taken the Tesla on any long trips yet though.

The Tesla nag system is made worse by the fact that it's not the easiest to safely apply the torque because auto-pilot is so firm in it's control of the steering. Compare this to Hyundai which has the same basic requirement and it's a LOT easier to do it on the Hyundai because everything is so much more gentle and you know you're not going to cancel out of auto-pilot. On the other hand can't you get out of the nag with the scroll wheels on the steering wheel? That's what I've been using most of the time and it seems to work pretty well. I Haven't taken the Tesla on any long trips yet though.
Correct. Tesla intentionally programmed it so that just flicking volume wheel overrides the nags. No requirement for you to have hands holding wheel.

Correct. Tesla intentionally programmed it so that just flicking volume wheel overrides the nags. No requirement for you to have hands holding wheel.
Hm, that's actually a difference it seems between US and EU models - I was banned from autopilot for the rest of the trip a few times exactly when I was adjusting volume or speed by spinning wheels and thus didn't noticed flashing blue light.