Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done with Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reached my limit. Since 2015 I have purchased 5 Teslas. For all but one, I paid for full autopilot. I have complained since the first autopilot nag arrived. It makes driving less safe when every minute you are looking at the display flashing instead of keeping your eyes on the road. For years I solved this issue by attaching a diving belt weight to the steering wheel. Now my solution disables autopilot for the remainder of a trip and if I keep using the weight I will be kicked out of the beta program. Getting even less than what I paid for 4 times.

I'm sick of all the Elon promises (lies). Now I understand why he lies with such ease. He has revealed that he is one of the loony-tunes (moderator edit).

Autopilot, as it is today, is dangerous and flaky anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna ask "why does this need a separate thread vs all the other autopilot threads here, but then when I read it I see the actual complaint is basically:

" I am angry because my wheel weight / belt / other hack to use autopilot / FSD without putting my hands on the wheel is being targetted. Because I cant drive without my hands on the wheel, I am done with Tesla".

So, yeah its a bit different than the other ones.

I've reached my limit. Since 2015 I have purchased 5 Teslas. For all but one, I paid for full autopilot. I have complained since the first autopilot nag arrived. It makes driving less safe when every minute you are looking at the display flashing instead of keeping your eyes on the road. For years I solved this issue by attaching a diving belt weight to the steering wheel. Now my solution disables autopilot for the remainder of a trip and if I keep using the weight I will be kicked out of the beta program. Getting even less than what I paid for 4 times.

I'm sick of all the Elon promises (lies). Now I understand why he lies with such ease. He has revealed that he is one of the loony-tunes (moderator edit).

If you've been with Tesla since 2015, you must know that Tesla tried very hard not to be a nanny re: autopilot. In the old days, it barely nagged you at all. And then the Joshua Brown accident happened and got a ton of negative attention with media and regulators. If you want to blame someone, blame the people who misuse the tech. It's because of them that we can't have nice things.

And then after a few more high-profile deaths (Walter Huang et al), Tesla had to get even more strict with ensuring people were paying attention. Now, most Tesla owners understand this and deal with the inconvenience. But a small subset of owners decided that they should defeat these nags with wheel weights. Of course as an individual, you can swear that despite using a weight, you are still paying full attention. But as a whole, only one of you needs to screw up, kill yourself or someone else, and Tesla's forced to improve their driver monitoring techniques, leading up to the recent firmware that detects weights.

Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for you. You are (were) a contributing factor for Tesla's nanny escalation. It really isn't that hard to apply a bit of torque to the wheel and not get nagged "every minute".

Don't pay full price for a product that has never been delivered.
So the non stop updates to the cars that Tesla provides for free year round since day of purchase isn't of value and doesn't make the cars better?
Nobody was forced to purchase any enhanced auto pilot or FSD. They did so on their own free will, in the hope it would get better.
It did, even though it isn't finished yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ami-Sven

Don’t let the door hit ya. My car drives me 150-350 miles a day city/fwy and I love it. Enjoy your tantrum.

This just in: Tesla now testing a new driver attention feature called "Mother-In-Law", where the car speakers are used to simulate a nagging Mother-In-Law sitting in the passenger or rear seats, telling you to "pay attention" and "what are you looking at?! watch the road!" and "oh my god, keep your hands on the wheel, do you want to get us all killed?!"

2016 video that would sell anyone on FSD.

"Tesla workers later revealed that the video was fabricated, done in multiple takes, with the driving system’s failures removed, including a crash into a fence."

I can tell you the light touches on the steering wheel in the video would not prevent any nags.

I generally agree with the OP.

I purchased my Tesla in 2019 - and at that time the autopilot on highway was great. The autopilot today is significantly worse, particularly since they disabled radar. It's more painful to drive on autopilot than with it off. Except when there is basically no traffic, the only way to make the car keep up and not leave huge space in front is to keep my foot on the gas - which kind of defeats the whole purpose. Beyond that - it is erratic, sometimes it leaves a lot of space in front in heavy traffic and doesn't try to keep up, other times accelerates into almost stopped traffic where a person never would. That was never the case in 2019.

I also paid for full FSD. That was clearly a mistake. Apparently having paid for something and being permitted to use it are two different thing. The FSD Beta supposedly went wide release. I requested it like 3 weeks ago - and so far got nothing.

This just in: Tesla now testing a new driver attention feature called "Mother-In-Law", where the car speakers are used to simulate a nagging Mother-In-Law sitting in the passenger or rear seats, telling you to "pay attention" and "what are you looking at?! watch the road!" and "oh my god, keep your hands on the wheel, do you want to get us all killed?!"
That could also be called "Mother-In-Law's Daughter" in some cases.

For people that change out their cars every other year purchasing FSD for some unknown future date is probably not a wise decision.