Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno, in considering buying despite making this thread. I'm happy they are not trying to pull one over FSD early purchasers! Too bad there isn't a way they could correct the issue without a price increase.

FOMO indeed :(.
Marketing genius they are...

If I buy now I will be accepting that it may be offered later for less it under free trial though.
No free trial if you need HW3. The only ones that could get that are cars that start shipping with HW3.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Just bought the upgrade. Tesla did not hire Jim Keller to design a custom FSD chip for nothing. The current 2.5 hardware won't ever be able to handle the frame rates and resolution required for FSD. It's a no-brainer at the current cost if you want those upgrades in the future. Andrei Karpathy is working everyday with the autopilot team to bring about FSD. Eventually it will be here, and better processing capability is in the only path to getting major improvements to EAP and FSD. Taking the 60% price cut while it exists.

I dunno, in considering buying despite making this thread. I'm happy they are not trying to pull one over FSD early purchasers! Too bad there isn't a way they could correct the issue without a price increase.

FOMO indeed :(.
Marketing genius they are...

If I buy now I will be accepting that it may be offered later for less it under free trial though.
Has it made it to your cart yet (at least once)? You know you want in this pool!

From a legal standpoint, Elon tweeting something probably does not constitute a legal promise by Tesla, Inc. Nor do discussions in shareholder meetings. The reason his tweets matter to the SEC is that they believe his tweets affected the stock markets.

From a PR standpoint though, if not followed through, it would be a PR nightmare. Much like these price changes were, which caused them to change course more than once.

For me, I am convinced enough that at some point Tesla will do this.

I do kind of wish the price cuts had remained however both on the cars and the software upgrades. I personally think those were needed to make Tesla "mainstream" and affordable for adoption by more of the population, which would have ultimately probably been good for all Tesla owners. (More scale.)

Reactions: SammichLover
From a legal standpoint, Elon tweeting something probably does not constitute a legal promise by Tesla, Inc. Nor do discussions in shareholder meetings. The reason his tweets matter to the SEC is that they believe his tweets affected the stock markets.

From a PR standpoint though, if not followed through, it would be a PR nightmare. Much like these price changes were, which caused them to change course more than once.

For me, I am convinced enough that at some point Tesla will do this.

I do kind of wish the price cuts had remained however both on the cars and the software upgrades. I personally think those were needed to make Tesla "mainstream" and affordable for adoption by more of the population, which would have ultimately probably been good for all Tesla owners. (More scale.)
I dunno, I think allowing the purchased of AP might be enough. The does the 35k model 3 really have competition? Plus nothing is really changing on new cars, 3%? The AP price changes only affect people who already purchased.

The does the 35k model 3 really have competition?

Depends what you consider competition I guess... for folks who don't care about much more than a commuter econobox that doesn't use gasoline, certainly it has some (and did before it was even for sale) in things like the Leaf and the Bolt.

For folks who want an EV with significantly more performance/handling not so much.... (I'd mention the SC network as a differentiator, but to anyone for whom that's a huge deal they're probably not looking at the 35k SR anyway)

Depends what you consider competition I guess... for folks who don't care about much more than a commuter econobox that doesn't use gasoline, certainly it has some (and did before it was even for sale) in things like the Leaf and the Bolt.

For folks who want an EV with significantly more performance/handling not so much.... (I'd mention the SC network as a differentiator, but to anyone for whom that's a huge deal they're probably not looking at the 35k SR anyway)
I think the supercharging network is MORE important if your looking at a 35k 3. I don't know anyone who likes the bolt or lead more than a 3? Don't get me wrong, I think the bolt is a good ev, but given the choice the 3 is a no brainier, especially for less money, better battery tech, the ability to get updates, more performance, much nicer interior, charging network etc.

(I'd mention the SC network as a differentiator, but to anyone for whom that's a huge deal they're probably not looking at the 35k SR anyway)
Maybe? It is still something to the trip once or twice/year person. It isn't worth as much, just the hassle of getting a rental and driving not-your-car for however many day, which until they do it they probably won't realize how much it'll make them appreciate their EV. Still it is something of a mental barrier.

I think the supercharging network is MORE important if your looking at a 35k 3. I don't know anyone who likes the bolt or lead more than a 3? Don't get me wrong, I think the bolt is a good ev, but given the choice the 3 is a no brainier, especially for less money, better battery tech, the ability to get updates, more performance, much nicer interior, charging network etc.
Bolt has three things no Model 3 has. Heated steering wheel, that bird's eye view thing, and taller seating position but smaller footprint for parking in very tight spaces.

The first one is only vaguely of interest to me and the other two have no draw for me, but there's going to be a non-zero number of people that care a good deal about those things.

I think the supercharging network is MORE important if your looking at a 35k 3.

Why?

If you don't care/need the range over 200 miles you sure don't need much over 300.

If you take one big road trip a year take the $10,000 you saved and rent a car- you're still way way ahead on money.

I don't know anyone who likes the bolt or lead more than a 3?

Really? We've seen some folks on here mention things they prefer on both to the 3....

Don't get me wrong, I think the bolt is a good ev, but given the choice the 3 is a no brainier, especially for less money, better battery tech, the ability to get updates, more performance, much nicer interior, charging network etc.

The bolt still has the full tax break- it's significantly cheaper right now. The leaf even moreso.

I did say for those who don't care about performance though- so that goes out the window. After that, the Tesla is MORE money, the "better" battery is irrelevant to the typical American who goes an average of 10-30 miles, total, per day.... so is the charging network.

nicer interior is relative, some might well prefer one of the other cars interiors for various reasons some already mentioned.

Well, Well, Well,

I can recall a few days ago people saying to me ....."hey!!!! Just accept being screwed. Nothing you say is going to matter. Stop your whining."

Tesla is bringing Autopilot prices ‘back to normal’, Elon Musk admits mistake

I try to tell my kids and everyone else - SPEAK UP!!!! when there is something wrong. SPEAK UP when you aren't treated fairly.

Be respectful but SPEAK UP!!!!

Why?

If you don't care/need the range over 200 miles you sure don't need much over 300.

If you take one big road trip a year take the $10,000 you saved and rent a car- you're still way way ahead on money.

Really? We've seen some folks on here mention things they prefer on both to the 3....

The bolt still has the full tax break- it's significantly cheaper right now. The leaf even moreso.

I did say for those who don't care about performance though- so that goes out the window. After that, the Tesla is MORE money, the "better" battery is irrelevant to the typical American who goes an average of 10-30 miles, total, per day.... so is the charging network.

nicer interior is relative, some might well prefer one of the other cars interiors for various reasons some already mentioned.
because if you have a SR car you will be more dependent on charging network and charge rates when you do take a trip, for example San Diego to LA and Back, your going to need charging. Not exactly a road trip or even an overnighter, the thing is the 3 can do it, the Bolt you better stay the night. Bolts tax credit is going away too. When I priced out a loaded bolt (which it needs to be loaded to compare close to a 3) it was over 44,000 model 3 even after tax credits is actually less money than a loaded bolt.

Well, Well, Well,

I can recall a few days ago people saying to me ....."hey!!!! Just accept being screwed. Nothing you say is going to matter. Stop your whining."

Tesla is bringing Autopilot prices ‘back to normal’, Elon Musk admits mistake

I try to tell my kids and everyone else - SPEAK UP!!!! when there is something wrong. SPEAK UP when you aren't treated fairly.

Be respectful but SPEAK UP!!!!
It's ok, everyone has an opinion, I do hate all the "entitled" and "stop whining": comments. IMO People should be upset when they have not been treated properly. I'm embarrassed to admit I just purchased FSD. Elon's tweet that they are correcting the issue was enough for me to put some faith back into them. I didn't get the best deal on it, but that's ok. I was against it mostly because there was no point to upgrading when I created this thread, and I don't like unequal treatment of like customers. Also I was getting tired of the price games and tesla rewarding groups of people for seemingly no rhyme or reason (esp for those 3k FSD purchasers, and originally for P3D- owners). I still think FSD might drop lower but after reading everyone opinions on them not making it much cheaper for current model 3's due to the need for a hardware retrofit, and now knowing the price is going back up (No idea for how long? a month? a year? an hour?)... Well price going back up IS a reason to purchase that was not a thing when I created this thread. I'm not sure it's a valid reason but I just bought it due to FOMO.

Damn I'm a hypocrite :eek: Go ahead and rub it in if you all want.

I was hoping FSD would be offered to P3D- customers rather than 5k, but ill just give 2k back to them after they restored my faith.

It's ok, everyone has an opinion, I do hate all the "entitled" and "stop whining": comments. IMO People should be upset when they have not been treated properly. I'm embarrassed to admit I just purchased FSD. Elon's tweet that they are correcting the issue was enough for me to put some faith back into them. I didn't get the best deal on it, but that's ok. I was against it mostly because there was no point to upgrading when I created this thread, and I don't like unequal treatment of like customers. Also I was getting tired of the price games and tesla rewarding groups of people for seemingly no rhyme or reason (esp for those 3k FSD purchasers, and originally for P3D- owners). I still think FSD might drop lower but after reading everyone opinions on them not making it much cheaper for current model 3's due to the need for a hardware retrofit, and now knowing the price is going back up (No idea for how long? a month? a year? an hour?)... Well price going back up IS a reason to purchase that was not a thing when I created this thread. I'm not sure it's a valid reason but I just bought it due to FOMO.

Damn I'm a hypocrite :eek: Go ahead and rub it in if you all want.

I was hoping FSD would be offered to P3D- customers rather than 5k, but ill just give 2k back to them after they restored my faith.
I jumped on the $2k FSD as well. Funny that you did as well. :)

I think people are crazy if they buy FSD for an additional 2k. The value of this package is $5 for everyone who purchased before the price changes. This is because tesla has created that value for it. Don't support them on asking for more money if you already paid 5k for EAP! Don't give them a dime more. They specifically told early adopters that FSD package would cost more later, only to go back on their word and do the EXACT opposite. Stone cold about it too! Not cool.

Plus we all know waiting pays off with tesla. It's likely best to not purchase any software upgrades if your getting a new car. Apparently they will reward you later with cheaper prices on those software updates. Right now if you have EAP buying FSD gives you absolutely no additional features. By the time those features are out you may be in a different car!

If you want to donate to tesla go ahead and give them your 2K though. Otherwise I would suggest not supporting this flip/flopping company tactic on their software upgrades.

All they had to do was leave FSD at 3k to upgrade for EAP users, and offer the package to anyone who bought neither at 8k. No one would be upset.
TOO LATE! I just bought it, DAMN, I wish I would have read this thread first as there really isn't any other threads or info on this stuff anywhere!