Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's get you the HW3 upgrade.

Anyone that gets FSD will get the AP3 hardware.

Like I paid $3K for FSD, and I expect to be upgraded. I don't know when, but I expect it will be within 3-6 months.

As an FSD buyer, I am not convinced we are actually going to get the new hardware at all. I will believe it when Tesla contacts me to schedule my upgrade.

They are watering down FSD (by making summon, autopark, and NoA “FSD” features), and it is entirely possible they will get stoplights, stop signs and city streets operational in some very minimal form (with monitoring!) on the current hardware.

As an FSD buyer, I am not convinced we are actually going to get the new hardware at all. I will believe it when Tesla contacts me to schedule my upgrade.

They are watering down FSD (by making summon, autopark, and NoA “FSD” features), and it is entirely possible they will get stoplights, stop signs and city streets operational in some very minimal form (with monitoring!) on the current hardware.

There is definitely goalpost moving happening. What Tesla have now committed to with FSD seems quite different than what we were hearing it would be able to do a year ago when there were 100 threads about how your Model 3 was going to be part of a ride sharing network and would make money for you while you were at work.

Counter to OP advice: I'm planning to buy the 2k upgrade for both of my Teslas

Here's Why:

1. I believe the upgrade to AP 3.0 hardware alone is worth 2k. For this price Tesla will install their new HW3 custom ASIC solution which has 10x the processing power in the same or less power envelope.

2. At some point in the future the existing HW 2/2.5 cars will stop receiving new features as Tesla focuses on development efforts that exploit the HW3 custom ASIC HW. Besides paying for this upgrade the other option to get these features will be trading in your car and buying a new Tesla, which will cost quite a bit more than 2k.

Here's Why:

1. I believe the upgrade to AP 3.0 hardware alone is worth 2k. For this price Tesla will install their new HW3 custom ASIC solution which has 10x the processing power in the same or less power envelope.

2. At some point in the future the existing HW 2/2.5 cars will stop receiving new features as Tesla focuses on development efforts that exploit the HW3 custom ASIC HW. Besides paying for this upgrade the other option to get these features will be trading in your car and buying a new Tesla, which will cost quite a bit more than 2k.

1. so? what does that actually do for you?
2. years out

Reactions: voip-ninja

Here's Why:

How do we know AP 3.0 is worth $2k? If it’s just a chip swap I doubt it would cost anywhere near $2k to install. Maybe there is more to it than that???? I don’t know. But I think we need to know for sure before we can evaluate this as a $2k upgrade.

UNCERTAINTY.
This is what Tesla has created in their marketplace.... price uncertainty. The trend is don't buy now and you'll likely be offered the same or better product for less money in the future. Sometimes it costs more or even unavailable (ie free supercharging) , but it is absolutely unknown. Tesla has to own any customer blowback and future behavioral impact that their trend creates... You reap what you sow.

In my case, I bought FSD upgrade for $3K (Thursday?) before all the details were in because I was already on the fence. Now that I see that someone who had not even purchased EAP is currently being offered AP AND FSD for what I already paid for just EAP a few months ago, well now I am not feeling that my FSD purchase was a good deal.

Interestingly enough, aren't all the other automotive manufacturers producing products that keep getting more expensive year after year?

How do we know AP 3.0 is worth $2k? If it’s just a chip swap I doubt it would cost anywhere near $2k to install. Maybe there is more to it than that???? I don’t know. But I think we need to know for sure before we can evaluate this as a $2k upgrade.
It's not just a "chip swap", it's the whole computing unit. It's common sense that, at some point in the future, HW 3 will become the cutoff standard for new features. For those of us who will have their cars for a long time that's a good insurance policy.

Here's Why:

Fair reasoning, but nothing prevents Tesla from deciding that AP4 hardware is the platform to invest development resources. Buying hardware now to future proof is debatable.

It's common sense that, at some point in the future, HW 3 will become the cutoff standard for new features.
Until HW 4 becomes the cut-off.

Tesla will always develop features tuned to the next generation of hardware. Another thing to consider is currently the AP 'computer' is the bottleneck but soon enough it will be the set of sensors on your car. When Tesla upgrades the sensors for newer cars the development for your car will play second fiddle.

If FSD is your thing then you just have to accept built-in obsolescence as hardware improves. It is really no different than phones and netbook computers.

Reactions: Galve2000
I wouldn't pay $2k today, but I'd be willing to pay more later once there are viable features to support the price. But for some people, buying the promise of the future is fun or enticing, and they're willing to take the risk.

I am just ready for the thread of complaints in a few months when FSD has some additional features and has gone up to $4k or whatever. Buy the value you see today, and don't look back. Your decision is based on today's value. Anything else is a risk.

I cannot wait for all of the folks whining to get shut out and / or pay MORE for the upgrade to FSD than the current deal (for those with EAP) of $2000.

Gang, Tesla is a Company in transition and this latest round of product / pricing changes has all of the looks of being the final major change they need to make anytime soon.

Good luck with waiting and enjoy stewing in your sea of negativity. The Company just released a $35,000 electric car that is both a stunning vehicle and several years ahead of anything else on the road and so many here are stuck complaining about minutiae. Look in the mirror folks, the issue is NOT with tesla...

I can see how it now has the appearance that FSD was watered down, but that wasn't what happened. All that happened was EAP was deleted. EAP was deleted because you can't add features to EAP with HW3 without pissing off EAP HW2/HW2.5 owners. It was the only way that Tesla could have a clean slate to incrementally improve.

With the upcoming firmware update (that has the smart summons, and unconfirmed lane changes) we'll see the last features get added for EAP, and that's it for it. From then on its adding things, and that will require HW3/FSD.

Keep in mind that there is no rush on this so there is ample time for Tesla/Elon to clarify the situation. If I didn't have FSD I'd give it about a month before getting it. It's going to take Tesla a bit to get everything updated.

Hopefully what happens is Tesla will set it up so they only charge your credit card when you're within a few weeks of being upgraded to HW3.

The other reason there is no rush is it's likely that they'll keep this option available at this price point for awhile. At least until the updates start happening.

The root of this is they should have never sold the FSD in the first place. It never had any promised deliverable with a promised delivery date. They didn't take the approach they said they were going to do, and never put any effort into it. The only effort they put into was HW3, and the neural network for it.

They built their own ADAS system because they know (but, Elon won't admit it) that we're all going to be stuck in L2 for at least another 2-3 years. We don't even have a regulatory pathway to L3, and that's why the Audi A8 (which is L3 capable in a limited fashion) won't have L3 capability enabled in the US.

What Tesla really needs to do is to lay out a list of things they're hoping to achieve and a timeframe for them.

What they have now is really broad things. Like stop sign detection, and traffic sign detection. That's a start, but what about speed limit sign recognition. What about debris detection or pot hole detection? Or deer detection?

Lots of things will get added that aren't promised. Just like Sentry mode, and Dash Cam.

Yeah, been a huge Tesla fan and supported them with two car purchases. Definitely feeling shafted and my fandom is dulling quickly...

Been there, done that = purchased 3 Tesla's so far. I got the P85D when "no battery upgrade imminent" only to see 90 KWh in 3 months, the P3D- just before the wheel / suspension package became standard 2 weeks after delivery..... And then in couple weeks, when the burn was less fresh, I still love the drive every time I can steal the car from my wife. The fact remains that the drive is unparalleled, and this is after having owned various Merc / BMW / Audi in the past. The only thing I am missing is a truly premium interior - I would be willing to pay for that. I do not agree with the constant price change - but I learned to live with it.

For the upgrade, I will pay 2k if Tesla confirms this will include a chip swap. I am convinced current enhanced autopilot features will work better on HW3 - perhaps not from the beginning, but within 6-12 months. AP2 is clearly superior to AP1 on the roads I drive, so I expect HW3 should be better than HW2.