Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't care about the look, but like not to have the heat. Tint windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I live in northern California, weather gets around high 90 for a few months in the Bay Area.
I really don't care about the look of tinting, but if tinting the windshield does help to fight off the heat, maybe it's worth it to consider spending $300 to tint the front windshield? I only care during driving, since I mostly park the car in the shade.

Anyone has real experience in term of heat, or this is just a gimmick that tinting shop just trying to get the money?

B2B3B83D-21BD-494B-B66A-CB605FA5F2A1.jpeg

:D

• Funny
Reactions: flyingowl
You want to tint the thing you look out of 100% of the time while driving? Not only illegal but just unsafe, especially at night.

Maybe they are just selling a film which isn’t tinted so you wouldn’t be tinting your windshield. And your windows are all already uv coated so sounds like they are just taking your money.

You want to tint the thing you look out of 100% of the time while driving? Not only illegal but just unsafe, especially at night.

Maybe they are just selling a film which isn’t tinted so you wouldn’t be tinting your windshield. And your windows are all already uv coated so sounds like they are just taking your money.
Incorrect. All my cars have the windshields tinted and they are CLEAR to see out of. As someone above mentioned - 70-50% range is virtually clear and not even noticeable. I'm running 20 & 30% on my cars with zero night time driving issues. It does help with heat and as such the A/C doesnt work as hard - using less energy.

LOL, unsafe at night? Yeah, right. I take it you've never driven a car with a 70 or 80% tint on the windshield.

The windows being IR coated would help, not UV coated. The windshield does not have IR reflection. The roof USED TO, but now that Tesla isn't doing the rainbow roofs any more, there is a significantly higher amount of heat gain coming from the roof. I'm extremely disappointed about this. It's a major step backward and Tesla should be embarrassed that they saved a few bucks by making the car worse. I'm going to have to tint the roof of my car before this summer.

Incorrect. All my cars have the windshields tinted and they are CLEAR to see out of. As someone above mentioned - 70-50% range is virtually clear and not even noticeable. I'm running 20 & 30% on my cars with zero night time driving issues. It does help with heat and as such the A/C doesnt work as hard - using less energy.

I hope the 20 / 30% is on the side windows!

Hi, I live in northern California, weather gets around high 90 for a few months in the Bay Area.
I really don't care about the look of tinting, but if tinting the windshield does help to fight off the heat, maybe it's worth it to consider spending $300 to tint the front windshield? I only care during driving, since I mostly park the car in the shade.

Anyone has real experience in term of heat, or this is just a gimmick that tinting shop just trying to get the money?

Get it clear ceramic tinted. Mine is 80%, perfectly clear and blocks a ton of heat here in Vegas. It's not a gimmick, but you should have all of your windows tinted with ceramic for true benefits

I have 80% tint on mine, and it's just basically as clear compared to no tint. It definitely helps with the heat.

Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
I don't think it'll make a huge difference, maybe in a hotter climate like AZ.. I'd also check out the threads here about the concern of messing up the electrical components between the lower inside windshield and the dashboard while applying the tint.

I don't think it'll make a huge difference, maybe in a hotter climate like AZ.. I'd also check out the threads here about the concern of messing up the electrical components between the lower inside windshield and the dashboard while applying the tint.

You don't think it would make a huge difference because you live in NJ. :D

I used to live in NJ. Now I live in TX. Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference here.

I see the OP is in Northern CA. Probably won't make a huge difference there. The issue isn't the actual heat / temperature level, it's the sun. Up there 90 isn't the same as 90 here.

Reactions: XLR82XS
You don't think it would make a huge difference because you live in NJ. :D

I used to live in NJ. Now I live in TX. Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference here.

I see the OP is in Northern CA. Probably won't make a huge difference there. The issue isn't the actual heat / temperature level, it's the sun. Up there 90 isn't the same as 90 here.

Do you have a tint shop you like / would recommend? Been putting off getting mine done for a long time for no real reason other than laziness.

Do you have a tint shop you like / would recommend? Been putting off getting mine done for a long time for no real reason other than laziness.

Yes, definitely. Gulf Coast Auto Shield down off 59 just inside BW8. John Gray is the owner and they work on some seriously high end cars. Has done both my cars, including front end PPF. I'm going to head back this spring to get the roof tinted with 70% as the newer roof isn't as good as the older one, sadly.

Reactions: bedoig
Yes, definitely. Gulf Coast Auto Shield down off 59 just inside BW8. John Gray is the owner and they work on some seriously high end cars. Has done both my cars, including front end PPF. I'm going to head back this spring to get the roof tinted with 70% as the newer roof isn't as good as the older one, sadly.

Thanks, they were on my short list when I was looking over a year ago. Question on the windshield - how do you handle registration sticker and EZTag or other stick ons? Maybe a stupid question as there has to be some easy answer, but never figured that out.

Windshield tint was 100% worth it for me (south Texas)

Thanks, they were on my short list when I was looking over a year ago. Question on the windshield - how do you handle registration sticker and EZTag or other stick ons? Maybe a stupid question as there has to be some easy answer, but never figured that out.

clear static cling cards, stick your registration sticker to it, trim it to the correct size and slap it on the windshield. You can’t tell a thing. My installer gave me a few. But it’s basically this. Zebra Windshield Sticker Applicator - Static Cling for Stickers, 4 Inch by 6 Inch Clear Films, Works with Registration Sticker, Inspection Sticker, City Sticker and Parking Permit, Pack of 3 Sheets https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FCR7...i_glc_fabc_kSs5FbHR18JJ1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. (Sorry it’s an amazon smile link, posting from my phone. No affiliation with the non profit beyond donating to them).

Reactions: bedoig
3M Crystalline. It is clear, and it makes a HUGE difference. DId it on my BMW (black interior) before the Tesla, and was able to quit putting up the reflective windshield thing when I parked the car. On the really hot days the AC couldn't keep up on the BMW. Did it on the Tesla at the same time I did the rest of the car. It is easily the best $250 I have spent on a car.