Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't upgrade software when Tesla support is closed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a notice to update software.

I chose to update it

The update failed and now I have a message on the screen that "Software update is needed".

Oh well.....never again.

Last 4 updates....3 failed.

I’ve never had any update fail over the last year of updates.
Since you’ve had 3 fail out of four, any insight as to why so many failures. ?

What did the precious two failure messages say ?

I have no idea. Tesla won't tell me why they are failing.

I don't know if I should drive to work tomorrow.

Why wouldn't you? It just stays on current version if it can't do an update.

I've been on hold calling Telsa support for 1 hour and 16 min...as we speak

Submit a service ticket via the app and they'll push the update again without you wasting a bunch of your own time.

Reactions: Common_Loon
I’ve had 2 failed update installs since March of last year. Both times it luckily didn’t affect regular driving operation.

You may have better luck just putting a support request through the app instead of staying on hold forever. They probably just need to push the update to you again. But since you’ve had so many failures in such a short amount of time maybe there is something more going on here. I think I’ve read the updates get written to an SD card. Perhaps they need to replace your card. I only vaguely recall reading this somewhere though, not certain that an SD card is involved at all.

Reactions: focher
It’s annoying that they are the only ones with this capability. They really need to have some advanced support people on hand 24/7 to handle these situations.

What situation? Nothing is wrong. The car fine, no operation is lost as far as I'm aware. Needing an update pushed again is hardly a critical situation to be in, no?

What situation? Nothing is wrong. The car fine, no operation is lost as far as I'm aware. Needing an update pushed again is hardly a critical situation to be in, no?

In Garlan’s case, no, this does not appear to be a critical situation. His car is able to be driven. In one of my failed updates I did lose all autopilot functions. It was annoying, but not necessarily critical. Regardless, this should be one of the functions that the tier 1 support people can perform, at least that’s what I think.