Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But sometimes you need AC to dehumidify and @ LO, it's too cold (runs compressor at full tilt). With a heater-off button, you can set a higher temperature so that the AC compressor runs on low and no heat gets mixed in.

In order to dehumidify, the evaporator temperature must be below the dewpoint of the air stream (outside air if in fresh air mode, inside air if in recirculation mode). If you need dehumidification at cool ambient temperatures, you're most likely going to need reheat in order to maintain both a comfortable temperature and humidity level. The air conditioning compressor lowers the evaporator temperature to below the dewpoint, cooling the air and condensing water out of the incoming or recirculated air stream, then the electric heat reheats the air stream to a comfortable level for the occupants.

In order to dehumidify, the evaporator temperature must be below the dewpoint of the air stream (outside air if in fresh air mode, inside air if in recirculation mode). If you need dehumidification at cool ambient temperatures, you're most likely going to need reheat in order to maintain both a comfortable temperature and humidity level. The air conditioning compressor lowers the evaporator temperature to below the dewpoint, cooling the air and condensing water out of the incoming or recirculated air stream, then the electric heat reheats the air stream to a comfortable level for the occupants.

Understood, but I feel as though setting the temp to LO will put the compressor on high which makes it too cold in the cabin if I'm just looking to dehumidify.

Makes sense. My guess is that it would have provided a marginal benefit at best due to not much waste heat being generated in the power electronics, batteries, and motors.

Well it would be of marginal benefit if the only heat cycled through was the waste heat you mentioned, but a heat pump would be taking head from ambient air as well, so the waste heat would just kind of be a supplement at that point.

But alas, we don't have a heat pump, only electric heat.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Striving for greater efficiency and greenlyness why is such a long demanded and simple heater on/off idea being ignored? An on-off switch for the AC compressor would be helpful as well.

In fact I wish there was a row of programmable buttons to streamline these and other functions. I would love a on-and-off toggle that changes suspension from comfort to sport rather than fumbling around with a bunch of screen presses etc.

• Love
Striving for greater efficiency and greenlyness why is such a long demanded and simple heater on/off idea being ignored? An on-off switch for the AC compressor would be helpful as well.

In fact I wish there was a row of programmable buttons to streamline these and other functions. I would love a on-and-off toggle that changes suspension from comfort to sport rather than fumbling around with a bunch of screen presses etc.

There is an on/off toggle for the AC.

Reactions: Big Earl
In my mind, these indicators and toggles should be on the main screen or visible somewhere without needing to navigate or button press.

Then the screen would be littered with buttons that many people never use. My HVAC system is in automatic mode nearly 100% of the time. The only time it isn't is when the system is off completely. It isn't particularly onerous to have to press the one button necessary to access the climate control menu.

Then the screen would be littered with buttons that many people never use. My HVAC system is in automatic mode nearly 100% of the time. The only time it isn't is when the system is off completely. It isn't particularly onerous to have to press the one button necessary to access the climate control menu.

I am not a fan of clutter either but a little blue or red indicator light on the screen somewhere indicating if the heater or AC compressor is on would be helpful. As to the buttons, I say make them customizable. If you do not need them or want them you could remove them just like on a smart phone. The engineers were smart enough to allow the steering wheel controls to be customizable, why not user friendly buttons on the screen?

The AC sub menu page currently only takes 1/3 of the screen on the M3. Plenty of space for more manual settings.

I think these manual settings may only be needed by people who live in areas with wide daily temperature swings like LA / deserts / the southwest. But as someone with no home or workplace charging and a 80 mile daily commute that hates heat these settings would be freaking amazing.

Last edited:
This is something I've been complaining about since I got my first EV in 2014. I think it's a throwback to ICE cars where the heat is free, so there's no reason to turn it off. I hate driving for a number of miles then realizing the heat is on when it's in the 60's outside. And yes you can turn off AC and turn the temp down, but as mentioned that is a pain to do twice every day. Right now this is probably my second most wanted software feature to add behind voice to text & text to voice capability.

I suspect that adding the requested heater toggle is likely the most intuitive solution since many owners already have the analogous AC toggle....

But, the engineer in me likes the house thermostat approach where I would probably have the heater setpoint at 60 F and the AC setpoint at 74 F. That would allow ambient conditions from 60F to 74F to NOT engage either AC or heater, only vent. Then if temperatures went beyond the setpoint I would not necessarily have to mess with the settings. I tend to tolerate a cold car a bit more than a hot one, but either way I really am tired of futzing with the buttons constantly