Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My son has driven the car once and noticed it immediately as a "halo around that man over there". He wears non-polarized glasses for distance correction. I saw it once with my polarized slight distance correction glasses on. It is so darn light so long now that I would have to make a trip out after bedtime to test it...if I had it! It has been in the shop for two weeks getting the trunk refit. Then next week gone two more days for trunk re-wrap and any other panel they might have removed wrap from. Oh the joys...but I do miss it and the loaner 85S is not as friendly.

My son has driven the car once and noticed it immediately as a "halo around that man over there". He wears non-polarized glasses for distance correction. I saw it once with my polarized slight distance correction glasses on. It is so darn light so long now that I would have to make a trip out after bedtime to test it...if I had it! It has been in the shop for two weeks getting the trunk refit. Then next week gone two more days for trunk re-wrap and any other panel they might have removed wrap from. Oh the joys...but I do miss it and the loaner 85S is not as friendly.
Ugh. Sorry to hear ernies! Hopefully you get it back soon!

BTW, did you ever have your BBQ for the first X owner in the area? Maybe we should just have a big X meet up BBQ. :D;)

Reactions: chloedog
Hey goneskiian...I am up for a BBQ, but felt that there was other than one response, an oxymoronic "intense apathy" toward the event. If you want to help me put it together, I have a conference room, large parking lot and we now have a few more examples of exterior color / interior combinations to show. So what say you? The two Tesla "Groups" seem to be effectively moribund or dead as in DED.

My X just came back from the service center. The technicians confirmed the ghosting issue, and my service advisor said that mine was the worst he has seen. Here is what my invoice says. No timetable on a fix yet.

Concern: Customer states: windshield is producing double vision. For example, if I was looking at a red light, I would actually see two - the actual red light and then almost like a halo or second red light above.

Corrections: Windshield Liftgate Glass and Body Glass General Diagnosis

"Reflections (ghosting) occur in all laminated glass to varying degrees and affect some more than others. A small handful of customers have experienced this phenomenon. We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available."

Pay Type: Warranty

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Gwgan
My X just came back from the service center. The technicians confirmed the ghosting issue, and my service advisor said that mine was the worst he has seen. Here is what my invoice says. No timetable on a fix yet.

Concern: Customer states: windshield is producing double vision. For example, if I was looking at a red light, I would actually see two - the actual red light and then almost like a halo or second red light above.

Corrections: Windshield Liftgate Glass and Body Glass General Diagnosis

"Reflections (ghosting) occur in all laminated glass to varying degrees and affect some more than others. A small handful of customers have experienced this phenomenon. We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available."

Pay Type: Warranty

What is your VIN? I have zero ghosting issues

What is your VIN? I have zero ghosting issues
I didn't see mine the first time I went out, but I don't drive much at night. Now that I've got a handful of hours out at night, I can say mine's pretty bad. I have triple ghosting. And as has been said in this thread, once you see it, you can't unsee it. In fact, I see it during the day with duplicate road signs and such. It's far from a safety issue, but it's also not a pleasant experience.

I didn't see mine the first time I went out, but I don't drive much at night. Now that I've got a handful of hours out at night, I can say mine's pretty bad. I have triple ghosting. And as has been said in this thread, once you see it, you can't unsee it. In fact, I see it during the day with duplicate road signs and such. It's far from a safety issue, but it's also not a pleasant experience.

I actually shifted most of my driving from the day to night until I received my temporary sunshade. Nobody in my family saw it, I actually tried looking for it but didn't notice it. And I am in my 20s so I don't think my vision is starting to deteriate.

Perhaps it could be where you are looking, do you look above the tint line? Try focusing your eyes to the bottom half of the windshield or even better stick a sunshade on the top

Perhaps it could be where you are looking, do you look above the tint line? Try focusing your eyes to the bottom half of the windshield or even better stick a sunshade on the top

It's farthest apart when you're distant from the light source. The multiple images converge as you get closer. So if you're trying to find it (which I don't really recommend), you'd want to look at tail lights that are a handful of car lengths away. Both of the ghosts are above the original light source. Looking through the tint actually makes it better. It's the straight-ahead look that has the ghosting. I might order a laser pointer so I can quantify it a bit.

It's farthest apart when you're distant from the light source. The multiple images converge as you get closer. So if you're trying to find it (which I don't really recommend), you'd want to look at tail lights that are a handful of car lengths away. Both of the ghosts are above the original light source. Looking through the tint actually makes it better. It's the straight-ahead look that has the ghosting. I might order a laser pointer so I can quantify it a bit.

Now that you mentioned where to look, I will probably end up doing it :) hopefully I will forget your tip by the time I pick up my X from the SC.

Not noticing it at night yet but perhaps it's a byproduct of seeing very little.

Lights are bad in rural/non-city driving except when brights are on....

I actually notice the ghosting more during the day -- on bright reflections mostly - sun on chrome being the usual culprit. Polarized sunglasses do greatly minimize the effect and I think that a change to the windshield's own polarizing properties would fix this in future revisions. I've owned many cars over the years that have had different optical quirks through their window glass and this doesn't bother me too much. What actually is more distracting to me is the reflection of the dash and speaker screen in the windshield. I'm not sure if a more aggressive anti-reflective coating on the inside of the windshield would help with this or not. At any rate, I'm curious to see what comes of all this as Tesla has acknowledged the windshield glare and reflection anomalies. I'm sure this windshield will get cracked and need to be replaced by the time a fix is found anyway -- I seem to have that sort of luck with windshields.

I have come to terms with the ghosting effect on my model X. It is the "irregularities" in the windshield that would make it unusable. My replacement windshield is so much better eventhough I still notice the double and triple ghosting effect, but it isn't even remotely distracting the original windshield. With the original windshield, I'd get a headache within 5 minutes behind the wheel, day or night. During the daytime, I only wore non-prescription polarized sun glasses. Really unpleasant and distracting experience. With the new windshield, I don't see the ghosting effect where the tinting ends. In the original windshield, it was all over the windshield at all angels. So, in my experience, there are a few defective windshields out there. My original windshield belonged to batch /rev /ver A.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. Between the reflection of the grille material and the multiple images I can see during the day (also at night, but less bothersome), it feels like my eyesight is going and is tiring to look out of. A quick look out the driver's side window and you realize how much better things can be. I have a Model S loaner right now and these problems are greatly attenuated in that car, even though it uses the same dash grille and also has a fairly sloped windshield.

I actually notice the ghosting more during the day -- on bright reflections mostly - sun on chrome being the usual culprit. Polarized sunglasses do greatly minimize the effect and I think that a change to the windshield's own polarizing properties would fix this in future revisions. I've owned many cars over the years that have had different optical quirks through their window glass and this doesn't bother me too much. What actually is more distracting to me is the reflection of the dash and speaker screen in the windshield. I'm not sure if a more aggressive anti-reflective coating on the inside of the windshield would help with this or not. At any rate, I'm curious to see what comes of all this as Tesla has acknowledged the windshield glare and reflection anomalies. I'm sure this windshield will get cracked and need to be replaced by the time a fix is found anyway -- I seem to have that sort of luck with windshields.

My SC person mentioned that there were some windshields that were particularly bad, but looking out of mine he didn't think it was one of them. Is there a batch code on the corner of the glass somewhere that we can check?

I have come to terms with the ghosting effect on my model X. It is the "irregularities" in the windshield that would make it unusable. My replacement windshield is so much better eventhough I still notice the double and triple ghosting effect, but it isn't even remotely distracting the original windshield. With the original windshield, I'd get a headache within 5 minutes behind the wheel, day or night. During the daytime, I only wore non-prescription polarized sun glasses. Really unpleasant and distracting experience. With the new windshield, I don't see the ghosting effect where the tinting ends. In the original windshield, it was all over the windshield at all angels. So, in my experience, there are a few defective windshields out there. My original windshield belonged to batch /rev /ver A.

I have also noticed significant front windshield ghosting at night on my MX VIN 29x. I concur with other observations that the double image converges with the source (light) as you get closer. Since I live in a small city and rarely drive on roads with more than 2 lanes, it's not too bad, but I would imagine that it would really wear you down on multi-lane highways at night (all those tail lights!). Since I have not contacted Tesla about this yet, can someone recommend the best way to approach this issue and get it resolved? I am not in a big hurry, because it is a fairly minor issue during the long days of summer, but I would like to get it resolved before fall equinox when the days get shorter.

Since I have not contacted Tesla about this yet, can someone recommend the best way to approach this issue and get it resolved? I am not in a big hurry, because it is a fairly minor issue during the long days of summer, but I would like to get it resolved before fall equinox when the days get shorter.
Like you, I'm not in a hurry. For these types of items, I email my service advisor at the service center with my list of concerns, and ask that they be put on the record. I always ask for a confirmation of receipt as well, and that way we have a record of the first time I reported it.

Like you, I'm not in a hurry. For these types of items, I email my service advisor at the service center with my list of concerns, and ask that they be put on the record. I always ask for a confirmation of receipt as well, and that way we have a record of the first time I reported it.

Do Tesla owners designated service advisors? Or do I just email my closest service center?