TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by rmiggins, Jan 19, 2016.

1. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

How much did the windshield repair cost you?

• Like x 1
  2. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

Insurance paid, but I believe the glass was $1400 CAD, plus labor.

• Informative x 1
  3. bdelrizzo

bdelrizzo Member

So this doesn't show up in new 2019 production builds?

4. MarimbaKing

MarimbaKing New Member

I have the exact same problem on my Tesla X that I just bought. It´s a 2016. Extremely annoying, and I'm not tall either, just 181cm.

5. derkan

derkan June Bug

EDIT: Actually I HAVE come across this part number = that's my windshield, has full on ghosting. When they replace mine I was going to insist on a different part number.

Tesla showed me the test results - light shining on a circle printed on a card. If light falls within circle = "within regulatory tolerance". For my windshield, light is on the edge of the circle. Asked to redo the test - they insisted no because it is not physically possible to get a different result (really? - I'm an engineer). Asked to show documentation regarding the regulatory stuff they hide behind - crickets. Their patronizing is very frustrating.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

Yup, sorry guys, been meaning to come back and update this thread. Unfortunately I was wrong, my new windshield still has ghosting. :(

7. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

New builds are fine as far as I know.

8. eXalentEV

eXalentEV Member

Just bought used P90DL through Tesla, I thought I was crazy and needed an eye exam with the double vision. Old owners NEVER took the car in.

anyone get this replaced recently under warranty?

9. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Tesla set up a test to fail before replacing under warranty and even apparently bad ghosting passed all too often. Honestly I do not even notice it anymore but know that other cars had it worse.

• Informative x 1
  10. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

It’s about $1100 (parts and labor) to replace the windshield. If yours fails the “laser” test for warranty replacement, it’s EASILY worth $1000 to be able to drive at night and not see double tail lights, stop lights, street lights, etc. The new windshields do not have the issue.

• Like x 1
  11. dskid

dskid Member

My 3 has this ghosting but it’s far less apparent in our 2019 X. The 2016 X loaner was brutal. I don’t know how anyone drove with it like that.

• Like x 2
  12. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

So....Haven't been on here for a long time. I have a 2016 AP1 that had a badly ghosting windshield. Finally had it replaced under warranty in Feb 2018 after much persistence on my part.

Fast forward to last month...dang rock chip to the bottom right corner of my windshield now warrants replacement of my non-ghosting windshield...cue the scary, foreboding music. Will I get a non-ghosting replacement part?! I let them know my concerns and specifically asked for the SAME part number...but lo and behold I get this text from the SC "Had some issues with the windshields that were in stock. One was cracked so we had to find a new one." Despite being told that they had the correct part on order. Ughhh.

The new part is 1106012-00-B which is one revision newer than the "A" production line. The tech believes they will have identical characteristics. I've quickly perused this thread and saw that at least one owner had this same part number installed with no ghosting issues so my fingers remained crossed...and teeth clenched much to my dentist's dismay. I'll let you know how things go.

On another note, I need to get back on this forum to check for suspension issues as I am now being told I need work done that's not covered by the extended warranty plan I purchased. Great. Merry Xmas to me.

• Like x 1
  13. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Why would an extended warranty plan not cover an item that was originally covered by the initial warranty? except perhaps batteries?

• Like x 1
  14. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

The tech said it was "normal wear and tear" after I complained about a clunking noise when turning the wheel. I actually never noticed it until a friend riding in the passenger seat mentioned it. I could have had that noise from delivery day. I need to look for the proper thread to discuss the issue--front control arms and bushings. Wattzen has 66k miles. Wompy wheels?

15. derkan

derkan June Bug

So what happened?
    When my ghosting windshield finally got a rock chip, I had it replaced with 1106012-00-B. Except, they installed 1106012-00-A. So I took it back and they replaced it with 1106012-00-B today. I think have no ghosting now. They did, however mess up 3 other things, check for these:
    - windshield wipers overshoot the windshield
    - cruise control would not engage. Perhaps the camera wasn't calibrated or recognized
    - inside trim around the windshield was not properly clicked in (clips loose)
    - they damaged the lower B pillar trim

16. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

Ghosts be gone! Now I'm just waiting for my reimbursement check from Allstate... minus my $50 deductible.