Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, I don't think they are categorizing the problem; it seems they just found a pseudo-scientific way to tell everyone their ghosting windshield is within tolerance. I had my windshield tested with the laser device on Friday and they said....

"We have done the testing of the windshield and it does fall in specifications that Tesla determined. The engineers said there no action needed."

I am sure you many of you have already seen my video, but take a look again and see what they consider falling within specifications:mad:

teslaThink.jpg

ok! I suddenly feel much better about the whole thing ... non issue that it is ...
o_O

That sounds promising. Would you be willing to provide some details about the percent tint and the brand of the film? Also, if possible, can you provide some images that show ghosting before and after film is applied so can see how well it works?

Also, if you could shoot a laser through your window and measure the arc seconds of any secondary images that'd be great. :p

This is the tint that I used

LLumar Air Blue 80

a non-metalized, non-conductive ceramic technology film with 43% heat rejection, maximum ultra-violet rejection, excellent optical clarity, and scratch- and corrosion-resistant properties.

This film has a 78% Visible Light Transmittance, and its optical clarity and low reflectivity will not interfere with night driving. Air Blue 80 will also block 99% of the sun’s UVA and UVB rays and is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. This film also has signal-enabling properties to ensure no signal interference with wireless devices.

I think it helps significantly with the glare/ghosting.

I would like to add, tinting the front windshield is difficult so preferably you want to use someone with experience or someone with the patience to realize they may need a lot of time and several attempts to get it right. It definitely is a two man job.

Last edited:
If you get a light tint on the front windshield, it resolves the glare/ghosting effect

So just to be absolutely clear: did you experience the "ghosting effect" with your windshield before applying the tint? If so, how severe would you rate the ghosting before and after the tint (1 being none at all and 5 being so bad that you felt it unsafe to drive your car)?

So just to be absolutely clear: did you experience the "ghosting effect" with your windshield before applying the tint? If so, how severe would you rate the ghosting before and after the tint (1 being none at all and 5 being so bad that you felt it unsafe to drive your car)?

I'd say the pre-tint ghosting was maybe a 2-3. My eyes are fairly sensitive to the lights at night, so maybe it bothered me more than others, but I'm used to it. After tinting, it seemed like my normal pre-tesla driving experience. I'd say 1, but like I said my eyes are sensitive to night driving in general.

It'd be great if someone could get a little sample - just a remnant - slap a little peace onto an area on one's windshield where the ghosting is prominent, & yet still be able to see right next to the application ... so that one is able to move one's head - moving left to right just a few inches so you can sample ghosting differences, if any. Wouldn't Tesla have already tried this process - or a similar application, if that's all it takes?

Reactions: Scmbug
Here is a photo of the laser test the service center performed on my MX a couple days ago. Keep in mind that my MX has severe ghosting. If my MX is "normal" I can't imagine how bad it would have to be to miss the target. This is very frustrating.

"Here is the pic from seating in your Model X. The alignment stand is placed at a set distance away and hight. The center of the target is a LED light that is projected on the windshield and the image in the ring is the ghost. If it is in the ring it is considered normal."

IMG_3948.JPG

Here is a photo of the laser test the service center performed on my MX a couple days ago. Keep in mind that my MX has severe ghosting. If my MX is "normal" I can't imagine how bad it would have to be to miss the target. This is very frustrating.
I can see the ghosting even in their relatively close image. I wonder how far away the LED is from the windshield. Those of us with the problem know that distance is a huge factor - as the light source gets farther away, the separation between ghosted images increases dramatically. Your photo looks like it's right up on the windshield, which is a poor measure of how bad the issue is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Scmbug and Fiddler