Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit damaged after driving in heavy rain -- SC won't cover under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS has been at the Service Center for a week now after I had to get it towed when it shut off completely while driving.

It turns out the drive unit had water damage from driving through the rain. The car never went through deep water or was flooded, but the tech at the service center is saying if I went through a puddle at speed it could have pushed it into the drive unit. I drove the car for a week after this rainstorm and had no issues and the car was garaged when not driving.

The service center is not budging at all after I argued that this should be covered under warranty (it's under 8 years old/150k miles).

My main issue here is that a Model S should be able to drive through rain, even heavy rain, and not incur damage like this. If there's an issue with the seals or any of the components that protect the drive unit, which I've heard is an issue in older MS's, shouldn't that be covered under warranty?

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 103
The warranty has limitations:
View attachment 709649

Tesla will say you had to drive through "deep water" to get the water in the motor. But what is "deep water"? And of course the speed you drive through the water changes how much impact it will have on the car...
Guess all those pictures showing off Tesla going through floods are voided.

Guess that language will be on the CT too?

Don't do what Rivian did then. Hahaha.

Yes the complaint is real. I was away from my computer the past couple of days, but really appreciate all of the input and advice in this thread.

While the issue is unfortunately still unresolved, my lawyer is continuing to demand a written explanation from the service center manager detailing why the damage isn’t covered under the warranty.

Additionally, I reached out to InsideEVs and the editor in chief responded right away and they’re going to be running a story about this. If you have experienced similar issues regarding either water damage to your drive unit or battery after driving through heavy rain or Tesla Service Centers not honoring the Battery and Drive Unit Warranty, feel free to reach out to me directly. I’ve already collected 4 other customer stories and more are welcome.

Yes the complaint is real. I was away from my computer the past couple of days, but really appreciate all of the input and advice in this thread.

While the issue is unfortunately still unresolved, my lawyer is continuing to demand a written explanation from the service center manager detailing why the damage isn’t covered under the warranty.

Additionally, I reached out to InsideEVs and the editor in chief responded right away and they’re going to be running a story about this. If you have experienced similar issues regarding either water damage to your drive unit or battery after driving through heavy rain or Tesla Service Centers not honoring the Battery and Drive Unit Warranty, feel free to reach out to me directly. I’ve already collected 4 other customer stories and more are welcome.

I hope you find a reasonable resolution. Please keep us posted.

Man, this is making me reconsider my MSP order I placed last month...

Have you considered a Rivian? I'd seriously consider one the next time I'm in the market for a vehicle.

We are starting to see more competition.

Also the Mercedes EQS is likely one of the most comfortable cars ever designed. It won't give you the Plaid gutpunch when you accelerate if that's important to you.

Can you please post same thing 10 more times?

You can go through arbitration yourself fairly easily on warranty issues. See post #1 at Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it! - I did this for my yellow screen and won. It's binding to Tesla but not you. Only took me a few hours total plus the "hearing" with an arbitrator and a Tesla lawyer on the phone. Really nothing to lose.
Didn't Tesla ban you (or otherwise retaliate against you) for this? Or was that someone else who was posting online how to get around some of Tesla's denial of various claims?

Wasn't me. But I do seem to recall something along those lines. It would be worth a search - but as I recall I thought that person (perhaps the OP) wanted to buy another Tesla and they refused, perhaps as retaliation for this post. But many, like me have used NCDS successfully. And also several also failed on the same case. Might come down to your arbitrator and how well you position was made. But I don't have details. In my case I just wanted to have the screen repaired under warranty and haven't attempted to purchase another new vehicle.

Actually it was the OP - see Tesla banned me from purchasing another Tesla after vehicle buyback. But he also went through a "buy back" process. I'd guess that's what PO'd Tesla, not necessarily the NCDS process or his post.

But again I'm just a casual observer. Other than my experience, I have no first hand knowledge. But I'd be surprised if Tesla would ban someone for simply losing an arbitration case. But who knows?

I had a 2018 Model S bought back. They couldn't fix crap on it. The head mechanic fought for me and the y bought it back. But I didn't want another Tesla, it was my second one, I showed them.....I bought a brand new model Audi Q8. It wa worse than my Tesla, LOL. I had to sue them for lemon law and as soon as I lawyered up Audi folded like a cheap suit. Got every penny back including the finance charges. My wife wanted another Model S and we bought this one right before production stopped and got 69K price. So far so good only new axels with 4000 miles. SMH
But they took my money..

Reactions: bhzmark and Russell