Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Fluid Service - a la carte

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Maintenance schedule has removed "Drive Unit Fluid Service" from its 1st annual service plan a few weeks ago. Due to the concern of metals in the fluid from "break-in", I'm thinking about doing a drive unit fluid flush. After watching the youtube tutorial video, I'm fairly confident to flush the rear DU. But I can't find any instruction for the front DU. So I decided to let Tesla do it. However, I called the service center and the corporate several times to ask about the cost for a DU flush, but I have not yet got an answer from neither of them.

Has anyone able to get just a DU fluid flush from his/her service center? if so, how much did you pay for it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 11.43.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 11.43.09 AM.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 324
I’ve asked service techs their opinion on doing the service and they all reminded me that the 8yr/unlimited mile battery and drivetrain warranty are not impacted by skipping these services entirely.

Was told it’s not offered independently and would need to do the $550 1st or 5th year service.

I had my first annual service last week and here is the summary

Corrections: 1 Year/12500 Mile/20000 km Service - Rear Wheel Drive 12 month/12,500 mile service -
Pulled logs and checked for active faults: No Active faults -
Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version -
Performed function check of closures (moving glass, doors, trunks): Cleaned and lubricated latches. Good, no issue -
Tested and inspected charging with shop's cable. Confirmed correct charging rate. -
Replaced: ‡Wiper Blades ‡Key Fob Battery ‡
Changed Rear Drive Unit Fluid -
Remote Keyless Entry: Good, no issue -
Seat belts and latches: Good, no issue -
Interior/exterior lighting and horn: Good, no issue -
Performed inspection of powertrain and chassis components: Good, no issues. -
Checked fluid levels: Topped off washer fluid.
Brake and coolant levels optimal. No signs of leakage -
Inspected tires and rotated as necessary -
Measured tire tread depth at: (Outer) (Center) (Inner) LF: 7/32 7/32 7/32 RF: 7/32 7/32 7/32 LR: 6/32 6/32 6/32 RR: 6/32 6/32 6/32 - Adjusted tire pressures to B-pillar spec -
Torqued suspension fasteners to proper spec. -
Checked undercarriage for coolant leaks, none found. -
Performed Cooling System Thermal Test, passed. -
Inspected brake pipes and hoses, OK. -
Measured brake pad thickness (mm) LF: 8 RF: 8 LR: 8 RR: 8 -
Performed 4 wheel alignment and adjusted as necessary -
Test drive: Vehicle functions as designed

So yes I did get DU fluid changed.

I agree that if thats not included anymore, I dont see why the above should cost $500 bucks. Most of the checks can be run through in an hour tops with the alignment being the only thing that needs specialized equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
Interesting. I called the service center in Massachusetts and they said for the DU fluid flush costs 100$.

Tesla Maintenance schedule has removed "Drive Unit Fluid Service" from its 1st annual service plan a few weeks ago. Due to the concern of metals in the fluid from "break-in", I'm thinking about doing a drive unit fluid flush. After watching the youtube tutorial video, I'm fairly confident to flush the rear DU. But I can't find any instruction for the front DU. So I decided to let Tesla do it. However, I called the service center and the corporate several times to ask about the cost for a DU flush, but I have not yet got an answer from neither of them.

Has anyone able to get just a DU fluid flush from his/her service center? if so, how much did you pay for it?

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
Reactions: ishareit
I don’t think it was ever listed on the main page? If I recall correctly, it was only listed on the PDF file that gave the details of what’s done. But I could be wrong.

In any case, got the first service done couple of weeks ago and they did do the drive unit flush.
It was listed in a table showing the services done each year. However, it was never there for the older cars, like my 2015 MS which was more than a year old when the DU fluid flush got added, and on the 2 year one it wasn't needed (I asked).

I tried to buy fluid change ala carte yesterday but it is no longer available. I then ended up booking the full 2nd year for $725 just to get fluid change (already had two DUs fail, so trying to do what I can) but today the service advisor said that drive unit fluid change may or may not be included anymore, and that annual service is more of an umbrella term not necessarily including specific fluid changes.