Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver window malfunction -- Software glitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past few days I've encountered a problem with the driver's window on my Signature Model S. Normally when the door is opened while the window is fully up (closed) the window lowers by a small amount. Then when the door is closed, the window returns to its fully closed position automatically. We have all gotten used to this behavior. Now though, intermittently, when I open the door the window moves downward a bit, but when I close the door it doesn't go back up. If I repeatedly open and close the door the window keeps lowering a little bit until it's fully open. If I notice that the window is doing this and I press the window switch on the door to close the window myself, one of two things happens:

1. Nothing happens, but the other three windows/switches work fine. Only after the window has fully opened by repeatedly opening and closing the door will the switch work again to close the window properly.
2. None of the window switches on the door do anything until I sit down and press the brake to turn on the car. At that point the window switches all work, but the driver window only closes if I hold down the switch. In other words, the one-touch close function does not work. The fix for this seems to be to open the window fully by holding down the switch. After that something apparently resets and the window works normally again for a while.

The window mechanism seems to be working normally, so I now wonder if this is a software problem. Has anyone else encountered this? I just had my car in for service for a bunch of other things, none related to the window, and hesitate to call service again about this if everyone's having this happen and it'll be fixed in the next update.

Thanks, Steve. I'll reboot it in a few minutes. Just curious -- how often do/did you have to reboot your P85? I end up rebooting mine about every week lately to fix some weird thing or other. It's kind of annoying. In fact, my custom Michigan license plate was "REBOOT" for a while but I got sick of my own joke and changed it. :)

Probably not related, but I had a problem where the drivers window would not roll up. It would get part way up, then reverse itself down. Turns out some part of the door handle (inside the door) came loose and was interfering with the window mechanism. Ended up needing repairs to both the door handle and the window guides.

I had the same problem on both passenger windows, at different times, a few months back. I agree it's a bit unnerving walking by my MS and seeing the window down slightly, only to open and close the door and it creeps down by a similar amount each time. I followed the Owner Manual procedure and reset the window, and have not had the problem since on either one. I did report the incidents to my SvC earlier this year, but they didn't find anything wrong. Their request was for me to note date/time when I notice the problem again so they can research it back in the logs.

It's a bit unnerving walking by my MS and seeing the window down slightly, only to open and close the door and it creeps down by a similar amount each time.
I know, right!? It's also annoying when this happens in the rain and I have to tinker with it for a minute or more while getting wet.

I followed the Owner Manual procedure and reset the window, and have not had the problem since on either one.
I'm very interested in trying this, but can't find a description of the window reset procedure. I looked through the in-car owner manual for anything related to windows or software resets or troubleshooting and did not find any mention of this procedure. If you (or anyone) can point me in the right direction I'll certainly appreciate the help!

I know, right!? It's also annoying when this happens in the rain and I have to tinker with it for a minute or more while getting wet.

I'm very interested in trying this, but can't find a description of the window reset procedure. I looked through the in-car owner manual for anything related to windows or software resets or troubleshooting and did not find any mention of this procedure. If you (or anyone) can point me in the right direction I'll certainly appreciate the help!
Shoot. It's not in the last 7.1 PDF I have on My Tesla or on my iPhone/iPad, but I'm sure I read it in an earlier Tesla manual, as I would not have known what to do otherwise. My SA at the time made a comment I was one of the few to have actually read the manual. ;) I'll see if a I can find an older archived version on my Mac tomorrow morning and post back specifics if I can find it. Otherwise, you can always call Tesla Tech Support 7x24 and I'm sure they can walk you through it: (877) 798-3752
IIRC, the procedure is really simple... something like move the window all the way up using the control, then hold the window button up for a number of seconds, or some up/down combination of magic like that. ;)

I searched the forums for posts containing the words "window" and "reset" and came across some posts where people described various ways to reset the window controller. The simplest is just what you said, close the window and continue to hold the switch in the up/close position for 10 seconds. I tried it and it seems to have worked, but since the problem is intermittent, I can't be sure just yet. I'll report back!

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
No dice. Today it's inching downward again. I'll contact the service center, but I'm still interested in seeing the older software user manual if you can dig it up, Bert.
Can't find old enough manuals in my online archive that have the reference; I wiped things clean earlier this year. Sorry. I did though find a hand scribbled note to myself in my Tesla file (how old fashioned, huh?). Try this:
  • Push the window button (on the same door) to roll the window all the way down
  • Pull up on the window button (on the same door) and let the window roll all the way up; Keep holding that button in the up position for awhile (several secs - IDK how long)
Good luck. Call the 888-number and select the technical support option. You don't have to wait for the SvC to open.

I think it has something to do with the drivers side door latch. The switch that let the car know the door is open is in the latch and if something is slightly out of wack it can make the auto down do weird things. I witnessed the same issue you have when I had my windows tinted and the installer had the latches in the closed position with the doors opened.

Thanks, Giz! I appreciate that. I met with a Tesla ranger today who was coming out to check out an unrelated problem, and he said this window thing is a common problem right after a software update is applied. He said the fix is to close the door and hold the window switch down to lower the window and continue holding it down for a while, then hold it up and continue holding it up for a while after the window closes. He said five seconds, and tried it but it didn't work. I then did the same thing but for 10 seconds in each direction and it might have worked. But it takes a while to really know whether it worked or not.

Just following up again: still no success. I called the 800 number and they had me do the same things we've discussed here, and that works for an hour or so, but that's all. They're opening a service request for me with the service center. I think there's a service bay in Cleveland with my name on it by now.

I've had more problems with this car than all my previous seven cars combined (that's actually true), and most of those had north of 80,000 miles on them when I bought them. And yet I still love this car. Tesla, what is this spell you've cast upon us?

A ranger came out today and replaced the window controller inside the door but the problem persists. He then found that both computer screens flicker off and on when the door is opened all the way, possibly indicating a broken ground wire. He'll replace the hinge wiring harness next.